Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Regions > Lehigh Valley & Philadelphia Region > Philadelphia

Notices

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old October 31st, 2011, 08:54 PM

(Philadelphia County)
TB215 has a reputation beyond reputeTB215 has a reputation beyond reputeTB215 has a reputation beyond reputeTB215 has a reputation beyond reputeTB215 has a reputation beyond reputeTB215 has a reputation beyond reputeTB215 has a reputation beyond reputeTB215 has a reputation beyond reputeTB215 has a reputation beyond reputeTB215 has a reputation beyond reputeTB215 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best Gunsmith in Philly Area?

I want to get a the AK-74 style muzzle brake of my Chinese Norinco and replace it with a slant style muzzle brake.

Do you guys have any recommendation on any gunsmith in the area that can get this done for me?

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old November 1st, 2011, 09:16 AM

(Philadelphia County)
Joshua_West has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua_West has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua_West has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua_West has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua_West has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua_West has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua_West has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua_West has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua_West has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua_West has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua_West has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Gunsmith in Philly Area?

I would suggest Locks Philadelphia Gun Exchange

6700 Rowland Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19149

Rowland and Frankford Ave.

Elect Josh West for Philadelphia Sheriff
www.westforsheriff.com
Old November 1st, 2011, 09:29 AM
Grand Member

(Bucks County)
thefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond repute

I use John from Classic Pistol and never had an issue.

He has worked on two of my guns and both have had better than expected performance.

FOAC; NRA Endowment Member
Old November 1st, 2011, 09:38 AM
Grand Member

(Philadelphia County)
Philbert has a reputation beyond reputePhilbert has a reputation beyond reputePhilbert has a reputation beyond reputePhilbert has a reputation beyond reputePhilbert has a reputation beyond reputePhilbert has a reputation beyond reputePhilbert has a reputation beyond reputePhilbert has a reputation beyond reputePhilbert has a reputation beyond reputePhilbert has a reputation beyond reputePhilbert has a reputation beyond repute

John Robinson at Classic fixed my Sig Trailside, and did a very nice job.
Old November 10th, 2011, 08:29 PM

(Philadelphia County)
shrewd has a reputation beyond reputeshrewd has a reputation beyond reputeshrewd has a reputation beyond reputeshrewd has a reputation beyond reputeshrewd has a reputation beyond reputeshrewd has a reputation beyond reputeshrewd has a reputation beyond reputeshrewd has a reputation beyond reputeshrewd has a reputation beyond reputeshrewd has a reputation beyond reputeshrewd has a reputation beyond repute

my roomie had to get a bolt handle welded back onto his 1903 and used locks (the place where the rifle was purchased, and later broke after less than 100 rounds) and was VERY dissatisfied with their service. as an outside observer, i too was pretty sickened by the whole thing. the end result was certainly a nice bolt, but the time it took (3 months or more) and some other things (they lost both his number and his rifle at one point) and after all that, they charged him 150. i was pretty upset just watching it happen
Old November 10th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Grand Member

(Delaware County)
c45man has a reputation beyond reputec45man has a reputation beyond reputec45man has a reputation beyond reputec45man has a reputation beyond reputec45man has a reputation beyond reputec45man has a reputation beyond reputec45man has a reputation beyond reputec45man has a reputation beyond reputec45man has a reputation beyond reputec45man has a reputation beyond reputec45man has a reputation beyond repute

Best gunsmith? There are some good smiths out there, but a whole lot more bad ones. It is a crying shame the number of people who hang out their "guns worked on here" shingle and are totally clueless. Forget about the money wasted on their services, minor compared to the screwed up mess of a firearm you get returned. There is no such thing as a firearm coming back in the same condition after being fingered by a gunsmith. It is either better or worse. Most of the time, it is the latter.

Now for a good smith, Paul Eichenberg of Chester County. Been using him for 40 years, never had one come back in worse condition. He is in the phone book and works out of his house. He is very busy, so don't expect 3 day service.
Old November 10th, 2011, 10:11 PM

(Lancaster County)
PD25 has a reputation beyond reputePD25 has a reputation beyond reputePD25 has a reputation beyond reputePD25 has a reputation beyond reputePD25 has a reputation beyond reputePD25 has a reputation beyond reputePD25 has a reputation beyond reputePD25 has a reputation beyond reputePD25 has a reputation beyond reputePD25 has a reputation beyond reputePD25 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Best Gunsmith in Philly Area?

Another +++ for John Robinson at Classic Puistol;, southampton,pa.
215-953-7264
Old September 13th, 2013, 11:01 PM

(Philadelphia County)
sportyjoe97 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB215 View Post
I want to get a the AK-74 style muzzle brake of my Chinese Norinco and replace it with a slant style muzzle brake.

Do you guys have any recommendation on any gunsmith in the area that can get this done for me?
Hi, I'm new here but wanted to let all know that I have dealt with Locks for many years and nothing but good to say about them, but for the past half year I have had a Remmington barrel there to get cut and crowned and today I picked it up to look for another gunsmith. I was told that the gunsmith last year had a heart attach and has had more problems since and they say he only comes in on a limited schedule and has a mountain of work to get to. I was/am sorry to hear this but I need the work done and have many more projects and need to get them done. Just a heads up for you Locks guys like me.
Old September 19th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Grand Member

(Delaware County)
c45man has a reputation beyond reputec45man has a reputation beyond reputec45man has a reputation beyond reputec45man has a reputation beyond reputec45man has a reputation beyond reputec45man has a reputation beyond reputec45man has a reputation beyond reputec45man has a reputation beyond reputec45man has a reputation beyond reputec45man has a reputation beyond reputec45man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyjoe97 View Post
Hi, I'm new here but wanted to let all know that I have dealt with Locks for many years and nothing but good to say about them, but for the past half year I have had a Remmington barrel there to get cut and crowned and today I picked it up to look for another gunsmith. I was told that the gunsmith last year had a heart attach and has had more problems since and they say he only comes in on a limited schedule and has a mountain of work to get to. I was/am sorry to hear this but I need the work done and have many more projects and need to get them done. Just a heads up for you Locks guys like me.
Sorry to hear that sporty. Most smiths that are still around are of heart attack age.