Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB2011 and HB1243 Updates

So far, there hasn't been a 2nd Consideration vote on either of these bills. WE NEED TO KEEP UP THE PRESSURE, and continue to contact our legislators - ask them to tell House leadership to bring these bills to a vote! Ask them to vote YES on HB2011, and NO on the Universal Background Check amendment. In addition, the FOAC is requesting support for an amendment proposed to HB1243 (Mental Health Records for Firearms Purchases) that, if passed, will allow HB1243 to restore firearm rights to those who have recovered from a mental illness.

For more information and updates on these efforts,
CLICK HERE

For legislator contact information,
CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Law & Politics > Pennsylvania

Notices

Pennsylvania Discuss Pennsylvania-Specific, firearm-related politics and organize communication with state representatives here.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old April 28th, 2013

(Bucks County)
salzo has a reputation beyond reputesalzo has a reputation beyond reputesalzo has a reputation beyond reputesalzo has a reputation beyond reputesalzo has a reputation beyond reputesalzo has a reputation beyond reputesalzo has a reputation beyond reputesalzo has a reputation beyond reputesalzo has a reputation beyond reputesalzo has a reputation beyond reputesalzo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question about "references" for concealed carry permit

A friend of mine is interested in getting a carry permit. She lives in Montgomery county (Elkins park) and works in Philly. I told her that she needs two references, and that they have to live in the county that she lives in. Now I am wondering if that is incorrect. Do they have to live in the same county? If that is the case, she is going to have a problem. SHe does not know many people, and does not know anyone in Montgomery County-she lives in Elkins park because it is cheaper than living in Philly. She can supply Philly residents, bucks county residents, but no one in Montgomery. Can she get a permit without Mont Co. references?

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old April 28th, 2013
Grand Member

(McKean County)
God's Country has a reputation beyond reputeGod's Country has a reputation beyond reputeGod's Country has a reputation beyond reputeGod's Country has a reputation beyond reputeGod's Country has a reputation beyond reputeGod's Country has a reputation beyond reputeGod's Country has a reputation beyond reputeGod's Country has a reputation beyond reputeGod's Country has a reputation beyond reputeGod's Country has a reputation beyond reputeGod's Country has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about "references" for concealed carry permit

There is no requirement for the references to live within the applicants county of residence, or the same state. Some sheriffs insist that the references be county specific, which is a violation of state law, IMO.

I would have her use whomever she wishes. If the sheriff gives her a hard time insist he follow the law and issue or deny. If he will not process the app, contact a good firearms attorney.
It's the only way anything will ever change.

Last edited by God's Country; April 28th, 2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old April 28th, 2013
Grand Member

(Delaware County)
mpan72 has a reputation beyond reputempan72 has a reputation beyond reputempan72 has a reputation beyond reputempan72 has a reputation beyond reputempan72 has a reputation beyond reputempan72 has a reputation beyond reputempan72 has a reputation beyond reputempan72 has a reputation beyond reputempan72 has a reputation beyond reputempan72 has a reputation beyond reputempan72 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by salzo View Post
A friend of mine is interested in getting a carry permit. She lives in Montgomery county (Elkins park) and works in Philly. I told her that she needs two references, and that they have to live in the county that she lives in. Now I am wondering if that is incorrect. Do they have to live in the same county? If that is the case, she is going to have a problem. SHe does not know many people, and does not know anyone in Montgomery County-she lives in Elkins park because it is cheaper than living in Philly. She can supply Philly residents, bucks county residents, but no one in Montgomery. Can she get a permit without Mont Co. references?
The statute does not require them to be from the same county. Some sheriffs will demand that they are. Hopefully someone from Montco will give there experiance.
Old April 28th, 2013

(York County)
Lee-online has a reputation beyond reputeLee-online has a reputation beyond reputeLee-online has a reputation beyond reputeLee-online has a reputation beyond reputeLee-online has a reputation beyond reputeLee-online has a reputation beyond reputeLee-online has a reputation beyond reputeLee-online has a reputation beyond reputeLee-online has a reputation beyond reputeLee-online has a reputation beyond reputeLee-online has a reputation beyond repute

Most sheriffs don't even contact the references.
Old April 28th, 2013

(Montgomery County)
Bronco76 has a reputation beyond reputeBronco76 has a reputation beyond reputeBronco76 has a reputation beyond reputeBronco76 has a reputation beyond reputeBronco76 has a reputation beyond reputeBronco76 has a reputation beyond reputeBronco76 has a reputation beyond reputeBronco76 has a reputation beyond reputeBronco76 has a reputation beyond reputeBronco76 has a reputation beyond reputeBronco76 has a reputation beyond repute

No one contacted my references and I have never been called when on other people's application. Bucks and Montgomery counties.
Old April 28th, 2013

(Bucks County)
salzo has a reputation beyond reputesalzo has a reputation beyond reputesalzo has a reputation beyond reputesalzo has a reputation beyond reputesalzo has a reputation beyond reputesalzo has a reputation beyond reputesalzo has a reputation beyond reputesalzo has a reputation beyond reputesalzo has a reputation beyond reputesalzo has a reputation beyond reputesalzo has a reputation beyond repute

THanks for the clarification- I just did my renewal in Bucks county, and I was sent a notice that my license was up for renwal- I could swear that on the card they sent me it said that I needed two BUCKS COUNTY references, but maybe I am mistaken.
Old April 28th, 2013

(Berks County)
Lendog has a reputation beyond reputeLendog has a reputation beyond reputeLendog has a reputation beyond reputeLendog has a reputation beyond reputeLendog has a reputation beyond reputeLendog has a reputation beyond reputeLendog has a reputation beyond reputeLendog has a reputation beyond reputeLendog has a reputation beyond reputeLendog has a reputation beyond reputeLendog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco76 View Post
No one contacted my references and I have never been called when on other people's application. Bucks and Montgomery counties.
same here for me in berks
Old April 28th, 2013
Grand Member

(Delaware County)
BimmerJon has a reputation beyond reputeBimmerJon has a reputation beyond reputeBimmerJon has a reputation beyond reputeBimmerJon has a reputation beyond reputeBimmerJon has a reputation beyond reputeBimmerJon has a reputation beyond reputeBimmerJon has a reputation beyond reputeBimmerJon has a reputation beyond reputeBimmerJon has a reputation beyond reputeBimmerJon has a reputation beyond reputeBimmerJon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by salzo View Post
THanks for the clarification- I just did my renewal in Bucks county, and I was sent a notice that my license was up for renwal- I could swear that on the card they sent me it said that I needed two BUCKS COUNTY references, but maybe I am mistaken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lendog View Post
same here for me in berks
If the Sheriff wrote in your letter that you need to bring a stool sample too, would you believe it.

Learn the law yourself, its pasted all over this forum.

References can be from anywhere, any country on the planet earth
Old April 28th, 2013

(Delaware County)
Sgt.K has a reputation beyond reputeSgt.K has a reputation beyond reputeSgt.K has a reputation beyond reputeSgt.K has a reputation beyond reputeSgt.K has a reputation beyond reputeSgt.K has a reputation beyond reputeSgt.K has a reputation beyond reputeSgt.K has a reputation beyond reputeSgt.K has a reputation beyond reputeSgt.K has a reputation beyond reputeSgt.K has a reputation beyond repute

Delaware County told me, basically "not related to yourself or each other". One of my references is in Louisiana, my wife's are in Louisiana and Florida. Mine were never contacted, hers is still being processed.
Old April 28th, 2013

(Dauphin County)
John222 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn222 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn222 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn222 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn222 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn222 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn222 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn222 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn222 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn222 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn222 has a reputation beyond repute

I've never hear of them calling a reference.