Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Law & Politics > Pennsylvania

Notices

Pennsylvania Discuss Pennsylvania-Specific, firearm-related politics and organize communication with state representatives here.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old January 11th, 2012, 01:50 AM

(Montgomery County)
bobsonline is an unknown quantity at this point
Default shipping to a relative in North Carolina

I am gifting a gun that is registered to me legally in PA to my mother who lives in North Carolina. (Mom decided she wants to learn how to shoot)
I want to know if I need to go to an FFL here in PA and have the transfer done through them or if I can ship it directly to her FFL in NC.
I received the shipping information of her local FFL and rangemaster to handle the registration in NC, just curious if I need to do any paperwork here for PA before sending it out.
Thanks in advance, great website you have here!
Bob

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old January 11th, 2012, 02:48 AM
PAFOA Silver Supporter

(Philadelphia County)
Rich-D has a reputation beyond reputeRich-D has a reputation beyond reputeRich-D has a reputation beyond reputeRich-D has a reputation beyond reputeRich-D has a reputation beyond reputeRich-D has a reputation beyond reputeRich-D has a reputation beyond reputeRich-D has a reputation beyond reputeRich-D has a reputation beyond reputeRich-D has a reputation beyond reputeRich-D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shipping to a relative in North Carolina

Welcome to the Forum! I found it less expensive and more certain to ship handguns through a local FFL. If one is not an FFL, carriers require that handguns be sent overnight, which could be as high as $70. When shipped through an FFL, the fee charged is usually under $35.00 as their is no overnight requirement.
Old January 11th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Grand Member

(Centre County)
Xringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond repute

To ship the handgun to NC it will have to be received in NC by a FFL. The FFL in NC will then take care of getting it transferred to your mom.

Any non FFL can ship a handgun to any FFL by using a common carrier (UPS and FedEx being the top shippers). However, you need to insure that the FFL in NC will accept a shipment from a non FFL. FFL's do not have to accept from a non FFL, that is their decision.

If the handgun is shipped from an FFL in PA to a FFL in NC, the PA FFL can use USPS (Priority Mail) to send it to NC, the charges are about half that of UPS or FedEx and it only takes a couple days to get there.

Oh, and before someone else brings it up, there is no registry of guns in PA. What you have is a gun that has been recorded in a sales database as being sold to you
Old January 12th, 2012, 02:58 PM

(Allegheny County)
41 Redhawk has a reputation beyond repute41 Redhawk has a reputation beyond repute41 Redhawk has a reputation beyond repute41 Redhawk has a reputation beyond repute41 Redhawk has a reputation beyond repute41 Redhawk has a reputation beyond repute41 Redhawk has a reputation beyond repute41 Redhawk has a reputation beyond repute41 Redhawk has a reputation beyond repute41 Redhawk has a reputation beyond repute41 Redhawk has a reputation beyond repute

The other thing you can do is to take the gun yourself to the FFL in NC. Good reason to visit mom!

Old January 12th, 2012, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

(Jefferson County)
knight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to knight0334 Send a message via AIM to knight0334 Send a message via MSN to knight0334 Send a message via Yahoo to knight0334

There is no registration in NC, just the standard paperwork.

Your mother will have to get a purchase permit from the sheriff of her county to have a handgun transferred to her. Long guns don't need the purchase permit.