Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB80 Signed by Governor Corbett!

Thanks to everyone's support of this bill, it has been signed into law by Governor Corbett. Municipalities can now be held liable for firearms laws on the books which are in direct violation of the state's preemption laws. To link to continuing discussion on the new law, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Law & Politics > Pennsylvania

Notices

Pennsylvania Discuss Pennsylvania-Specific, firearm-related politics and organize communication with state representatives here.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old December 8th, 2011, 02:28 PM

(Carbon County)
Tami is an unknown quantity at this point
Default transfer of handgun to husband

If I purchase a handgun for my husband how do I go about giving it to him as a gift legally?

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old December 8th, 2011, 02:37 PM

Rydyth has a reputation beyond reputeRydyth has a reputation beyond reputeRydyth has a reputation beyond reputeRydyth has a reputation beyond reputeRydyth has a reputation beyond reputeRydyth has a reputation beyond reputeRydyth has a reputation beyond reputeRydyth has a reputation beyond reputeRydyth has a reputation beyond reputeRydyth has a reputation beyond reputeRydyth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: transfer of handgun to husband

No transfer paperwork needs to be done between spouses.
Old December 8th, 2011, 02:38 PM

(York County)
coble has a reputation beyond reputecoble has a reputation beyond reputecoble has a reputation beyond reputecoble has a reputation beyond reputecoble has a reputation beyond reputecoble has a reputation beyond reputecoble has a reputation beyond reputecoble has a reputation beyond reputecoble has a reputation beyond reputecoble has a reputation beyond reputecoble has a reputation beyond repute

I believe spouse to spouse. You can buy it, then gift it to him. With no transfer. Unless his prohibited by law.
Old December 8th, 2011, 02:41 PM

(Berks County)
GunGirl610 has a reputation beyond reputeGunGirl610 has a reputation beyond reputeGunGirl610 has a reputation beyond reputeGunGirl610 has a reputation beyond reputeGunGirl610 has a reputation beyond reputeGunGirl610 has a reputation beyond reputeGunGirl610 has a reputation beyond reputeGunGirl610 has a reputation beyond reputeGunGirl610 has a reputation beyond reputeGunGirl610 has a reputation beyond reputeGunGirl610 has a reputation beyond repute

all of thee above! and welcome to PAFOA !
Old December 8th, 2011, 02:42 PM

PAOhio has a reputation beyond reputePAOhio has a reputation beyond reputePAOhio has a reputation beyond reputePAOhio has a reputation beyond reputePAOhio has a reputation beyond reputePAOhio has a reputation beyond reputePAOhio has a reputation beyond reputePAOhio has a reputation beyond reputePAOhio has a reputation beyond reputePAOhio has a reputation beyond reputePAOhio has a reputation beyond repute

/dons flame suit...

Have him go to the gun store and do the paperwork. <-- Most legal way.

A x-fer between spouses is 100% legal if both spouses could legally buy the pistol. If you are buying this for him becasue he can not legally do it himself, that is very, very illegal even between spouses. Don't do that.
Old December 8th, 2011, 02:54 PM

BPConcealFan has a reputation beyond reputeBPConcealFan has a reputation beyond reputeBPConcealFan has a reputation beyond reputeBPConcealFan has a reputation beyond reputeBPConcealFan has a reputation beyond reputeBPConcealFan has a reputation beyond reputeBPConcealFan has a reputation beyond reputeBPConcealFan has a reputation beyond reputeBPConcealFan has a reputation beyond reputeBPConcealFan has a reputation beyond reputeBPConcealFan has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for this thread! I want to get my wife a .380 as a surprise and was wondering this myself. So basically I can just buy it and then give it to her. I am in the process of her getting her LTCF so if she carries it there is no issue right? On the flipside I gave her my gun wishlist so now I know she can just buy it, wrap it and give it to me.. Great news..
Old December 8th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Banned

(Montgomery County)
whoshisface has a reputation beyond reputewhoshisface has a reputation beyond reputewhoshisface has a reputation beyond reputewhoshisface has a reputation beyond reputewhoshisface has a reputation beyond reputewhoshisface has a reputation beyond reputewhoshisface has a reputation beyond reputewhoshisface has a reputation beyond reputewhoshisface has a reputation beyond reputewhoshisface has a reputation beyond reputewhoshisface has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tami View Post
If I purchase a handgun for my husband how do I go about giving it to him as a gift legally?
You can wrap it in a box and hand it to him wearing something sexy.

You need not do anything but give it to him as you would any other gift.

Of course he can't be a prohibited person.

I don't know how you go about legally buying the firearm and filling out the paperwork legally. I guess the question about "buying for someone else" doesn't apply to gifts but to situation where you are acting as that persons agent. In this case you'r acting as your own agent to GIFT it. I don't know if that's legal. However i know if you say you'er buying it for someone else you'll get rejected.
Old December 8th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Grand Member
PAFOA Silver Supporter

(Philadelphia County)
mythaeus has a reputation beyond reputemythaeus has a reputation beyond reputemythaeus has a reputation beyond reputemythaeus has a reputation beyond reputemythaeus has a reputation beyond reputemythaeus has a reputation beyond reputemythaeus has a reputation beyond reputemythaeus has a reputation beyond reputemythaeus has a reputation beyond reputemythaeus has a reputation beyond reputemythaeus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by exceltoexcel View Post
You can wrap it in a box and hand it to him wearing something sexy.

You need not do anything but give it to him as you would any other gift.

Of course he can't be a prohibited person.

I don't know how you go about legally buying the firearm and filling out the paperwork legally. I guess the question about "buying for someone else" doesn't apply to gifts but to situation where you are acting as that persons agent. In this case you'r acting as your own agent to GIFT it. I don't know if that's legal. However i know if you say you'er buying it for someone else you'll get rejected.
It's completely legal per the instructions on Form 4473 for Question #11a.

Quote:
1. For purposes of this form, you are the actual buyer if you are purchasing the firearm for yourself or otherwise acquiring the firearm for yourself (for example, redeeming the firearm from pawn/retrieving it from consignment). You are also the actual buyer if you are acquiring the firearm as a legitimate gift for a third party.

ACTUAL BUYER EXAMPLES: Mr. Smith asks Mr. Jones to purchase a firearm for
Mr. Smith. Mr. Smith gives Mr. Jones the money for the firearm. Mr. Jones is NOT the actual buyer of the firearm and must answer “no “ to question 12a. The licensee may not transfer the firearm to Mr. Jones. However, if Mr. Brown goes to buy a firearm with his own money to give to Mr. Black as a present, Mr. Brown is the actual buyer of the firearm and should answer “yes” to question 12a.
Source: http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf
* Note, one of the revisions of the form, the question is 12a, not 11a. Nevertheless, the answer is still the same.

Al

Last edited by mythaeus; December 8th, 2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old December 8th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Banned

(Montgomery County)
whoshisface has a reputation beyond reputewhoshisface has a reputation beyond reputewhoshisface has a reputation beyond reputewhoshisface has a reputation beyond reputewhoshisface has a reputation beyond reputewhoshisface has a reputation beyond reputewhoshisface has a reputation beyond reputewhoshisface has a reputation beyond reputewhoshisface has a reputation beyond reputewhoshisface has a reputation beyond reputewhoshisface has a reputation beyond repute

Bingo... Thanks for the cite!
Old December 8th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Grand Member
PAFOA Silver Supporter

(Philadelphia County)
mythaeus has a reputation beyond reputemythaeus has a reputation beyond reputemythaeus has a reputation beyond reputemythaeus has a reputation beyond reputemythaeus has a reputation beyond reputemythaeus has a reputation beyond reputemythaeus has a reputation beyond reputemythaeus has a reputation beyond reputemythaeus has a reputation beyond reputemythaeus has a reputation beyond reputemythaeus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by exceltoexcel View Post
Bingo... Thanks for the cite!
You got it. The phrasing of question 12a sort of give it away that it's legal, but you definitely wondered the exact thing that I did. I have had guns transferred to me that's intended for my wife to carry and vice versa. I mentioned that at transfer time to my FFL each time. As a matter of fact, I don't know which was transferred to me and which was transferred to her of our carry guns.

Al