Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Firearms > Optics

Notices

Optics Scopes, Lasers, Holograms and anything else you can use to make sure you hit your target.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old March 30th, 2010, 04:00 PM

(Delaware County)
freeeire1916 has a spectacular aura aboutfreeeire1916 has a spectacular aura about
Default how to mount a red dot?

Hey Folks,

Just bought a red dot sight. Can someone please tell when where it is to be mounted. I realize it should be on the top rail but should it be closer to the butt stock or the barrel? If it is to be mounted closer to the barrel do I remove the rear magpul flip up sight or just in front of it?

I know this is a newbie question so please keep the mocking to a minimum

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old March 30th, 2010, 05:12 PM

(Wayne County)
Chief Brody has a reputation beyond reputeChief Brody has a reputation beyond reputeChief Brody has a reputation beyond reputeChief Brody has a reputation beyond reputeChief Brody has a reputation beyond reputeChief Brody has a reputation beyond reputeChief Brody has a reputation beyond reputeChief Brody has a reputation beyond reputeChief Brody has a reputation beyond reputeChief Brody has a reputation beyond reputeChief Brody has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how to mount a red dot?

As long as you can see through it I don't think it's location really matters..
Old March 30th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Grand Member

(Delaware County)
imashooter2 has a reputation beyond reputeimashooter2 has a reputation beyond reputeimashooter2 has a reputation beyond reputeimashooter2 has a reputation beyond reputeimashooter2 has a reputation beyond reputeimashooter2 has a reputation beyond reputeimashooter2 has a reputation beyond reputeimashooter2 has a reputation beyond reputeimashooter2 has a reputation beyond reputeimashooter2 has a reputation beyond reputeimashooter2 has a reputation beyond repute

Eye relief is infinite, so that isn't an issue. The closer you mount it to your eye, the larger the field of view through the tube.
Old March 30th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Grand Member

(Chester County)
MTechnik has a reputation beyond reputeMTechnik has a reputation beyond reputeMTechnik has a reputation beyond reputeMTechnik has a reputation beyond reputeMTechnik has a reputation beyond reputeMTechnik has a reputation beyond reputeMTechnik has a reputation beyond reputeMTechnik has a reputation beyond reputeMTechnik has a reputation beyond reputeMTechnik has a reputation beyond reputeMTechnik has a reputation beyond repute

if you are talking about an AR, the recommendation is to keep a set of iron sights on it. So just mount the red dot forward of it. How far forward is personal preference.
Old March 31st, 2010, 12:41 PM

(Delaware County)
freeeire1916 has a spectacular aura aboutfreeeire1916 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
if you are talking about an AR, the recommendation is to keep a set of iron sights on it. So just mount the red dot forward of it. How far forward is personal preference.
Understood, the next question is can one of the mounting brackets be on the upper rail and one on the hand guard? in order to keep both the rear sight and the red dot on thats what I would need to do because the eye piece hits the rear sight.
Old March 31st, 2010, 12:54 PM
Banned

(Schuylkill County)
lilb93 has a reputation beyond reputelilb93 has a reputation beyond reputelilb93 has a reputation beyond reputelilb93 has a reputation beyond reputelilb93 has a reputation beyond reputelilb93 has a reputation beyond reputelilb93 has a reputation beyond reputelilb93 has a reputation beyond reputelilb93 has a reputation beyond reputelilb93 has a reputation beyond reputelilb93 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't bridge the gap....
Old March 31st, 2010, 12:54 PM

(York County)
Andrew17019 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew17019 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew17019 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew17019 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew17019 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew17019 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew17019 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew17019 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew17019 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew17019 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew17019 has a reputation beyond repute

Unless it is a one-piece rail system, I wouldn't recommend it (ie, a monolithic rail). If you're mounting an Aimpoint-style red dot I like to keep mine as far forward as possible, since it allows for more peripheral vision. If you have an EOTech or Cmore sight, it doesn't make that much a difference because there isn't much body around the sight itself.

If you already have the Magpul MBUIS make sure they are mounted as close to the charging handle as possible (assuming you're talking about an AR) and from there just try different distances.

If your sight is exceptionally heavy think about how you want the balance of your gun. If you are using a vertical foregrip this will be different than if you are using a magwell hold.

The Magpul MBUIS are kind of a pain since they mount bulkier than most other BUIS's, but you should be able to mount both on there if you are mounting it to a standard carbine length top rail of an AR.

The reason you don't want to attach half to the receiver and half to the barrel rail system is that there is usually some play in the rail system (if you have a quad rail) and it will be near impossible to keep a good zero. It also makes takedown a pain because you would have to remove your sight to remove the handguard/top rail.

What kind of gun and what kind of optic are we talking about?
Old March 31st, 2010, 06:11 PM

(Delaware County)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew17019 View Post
Unless it is a one-piece rail system, I wouldn't recommend it (ie, a monolithic rail). If you're mounting an Aimpoint-style red dot I like to keep mine as far forward as possible, since it allows for more peripheral vision. If you have an EOTech or Cmore sight, it doesn't make that much a difference because there isn't much body around the sight itself.

If you already have the Magpul MBUIS make sure they are mounted as close to the charging handle as possible (assuming you're talking about an AR) and from there just try different distances.

If your sight is exceptionally heavy think about how you want the balance of your gun. If you are using a vertical foregrip this will be different than if you are using a magwell hold.

The Magpul MBUIS are kind of a pain since they mount bulkier than most other BUIS's, but you should be able to mount both on there if you are mounting it to a standard carbine length top rail of an AR.

The reason you don't want to attach half to the receiver and half to the barrel rail system is that there is usually some play in the rail system (if you have a quad rail) and it will be near impossible to keep a good zero. It also makes takedown a pain because you would have to remove your sight to remove the handguard/top rail.

What kind of gun and what kind of optic are we talking about?
Its a stag arms model 2T and the sight is a bushmaster trophy. You are correct about the magpul bulky thing.
Old April 1st, 2010, 01:32 AM
Grand Member
PAFOA Silver Supporter

(Lackawanna County)
wa3ra has a reputation beyond reputewa3ra has a reputation beyond reputewa3ra has a reputation beyond reputewa3ra has a reputation beyond reputewa3ra has a reputation beyond reputewa3ra has a reputation beyond reputewa3ra has a reputation beyond reputewa3ra has a reputation beyond reputewa3ra has a reputation beyond reputewa3ra has a reputation beyond reputewa3ra has a reputation beyond repute

Mine ended up about here; flat top with an extension rail under the scope; there's enough room for the flip-up caps to open without hitting the rear sights.

If I leave the iron sites on, I can view the dot through either of the magpul peeps, and the dot lines right up on the front sight. I can effectively hit the same POI regardless of combination.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg meatball.jpg (59.6 KB, 101 views)
Old April 1st, 2010, 10:15 AM

(York County)
Andrew17019 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew17019 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew17019 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew17019 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew17019 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew17019 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew17019 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew17019 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew17019 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew17019 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew17019 has a reputation beyond repute

For the Bushmaster Tropy sight (or any ACOG look-alike) you don't have the ability to co-witness your irons since it is magnified. Because of this it doesn't really matter if you can bring your BUIS up, but you probably do want them on there just in case your optics go to hell.

When I was using an ACOG I kept my iron sights on, but they weren't able to be put up unless I took the ACOG off, they were just there as a backup in case the ACOG got busted. If you can't fit the Magpul one on whatsoever, I wouldn't sweat it, unless this is a service weapon or you're using it for something crazy you can probably just roll with your optics and no BUIS.