Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Concealed & Open Carry > Open Carry

Notices

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old February 28th, 2012, 06:13 PM

(Butler County)
MicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default New DeSantis holster for 1911

I got a new "cocked and locked" holster for my kimber 1911. The fit is very good and the retention is overkill. I have to break it in. I dont really know how I will like the thumb break until its properly broken in. I am carrying it on a galco leather gun belt.
I wanted a different holster, but I dont have the money right now for a beltman and a highnoon holster, but I will this summer.
The fit and finish on this are very nice so far.
There is no sight track in this holster, but it doesnt look like that will be a problem. I would take a picture, but i dont see the difference, it looks just like on desantis website.
It is open muzzle, the thumb break is very stiff and disengages really easy with your thumb.
Just thought I would post about it. I just wanted something until I get money to buy what I REALLY want, but until then......
If i posted in the wrong forum, please move it.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old February 29th, 2012, 05:36 PM

(Delaware County)
ooticamitica has a reputation beyond reputeooticamitica has a reputation beyond reputeooticamitica has a reputation beyond reputeooticamitica has a reputation beyond reputeooticamitica has a reputation beyond reputeooticamitica has a reputation beyond reputeooticamitica has a reputation beyond reputeooticamitica has a reputation beyond reputeooticamitica has a reputation beyond reputeooticamitica has a reputation beyond reputeooticamitica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New DeSantis holster for 1911

i love desantis products they are top of the line imo!
Old March 5th, 2012, 04:53 AM

(Butler County)
MicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeMicroMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to update this. After having this holster for only a few days or so, it has gotten very nicely broken in. Very comfortable, and the retention has gotten better. I dont have to yank on it to get the gun out. Great holster so far. And the thumb break is also nice. Very easy to draw from (still a bit tight, but getting better), and re-holster. It still has some break-in yet to go, but I would recommend it as an OC holster for a colt govt style 1911. The Thumb break after re-holstering almost falls back into place, and I can re-snap it with one hand usually pretty easily.

Last edited by MicroMonkey; March 5th, 2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old March 5th, 2012, 07:03 AM

(Berks County)
donotknowme has a reputation beyond reputedonotknowme has a reputation beyond reputedonotknowme has a reputation beyond reputedonotknowme has a reputation beyond reputedonotknowme has a reputation beyond reputedonotknowme has a reputation beyond reputedonotknowme has a reputation beyond reputedonotknowme has a reputation beyond reputedonotknowme has a reputation beyond reputedonotknowme has a reputation beyond reputedonotknowme has a reputation beyond repute

What Kimber do you carry?
Old March 5th, 2012, 03:01 PM

(Butler County)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donotknowme View Post
What Kimber do you carry?
eclipse target 2
Old March 5th, 2012, 03:28 PM

(Lawrence County)
2Late45 has a reputation beyond repute2Late45 has a reputation beyond repute2Late45 has a reputation beyond repute2Late45 has a reputation beyond repute2Late45 has a reputation beyond repute2Late45 has a reputation beyond repute2Late45 has a reputation beyond repute2Late45 has a reputation beyond repute2Late45 has a reputation beyond repute2Late45 has a reputation beyond repute2Late45 has a reputation beyond repute

Keep practicing that draw/presentation. Wouldn't want to bump that safety as you push thru the snap of the thumb-break. Good holster...
Old March 5th, 2012, 08:01 PM

(Butler County)

yea. It actually not bad when pushing the thumb break. My thumb rides at the top of the break, and its fairly natural for me to push toward my body and my thumb naturally falls below the safety, but practice is the smart idea. Also thankfully I have excellent trigger finger dicipline regardless of the holster
Old March 6th, 2012, 10:39 AM

(Northumberland County)
EODguy has a reputation beyond reputeEODguy has a reputation beyond reputeEODguy has a reputation beyond reputeEODguy has a reputation beyond reputeEODguy has a reputation beyond reputeEODguy has a reputation beyond reputeEODguy has a reputation beyond reputeEODguy has a reputation beyond reputeEODguy has a reputation beyond reputeEODguy has a reputation beyond reputeEODguy has a reputation beyond repute

I've been carrying my Kimber in these for a while now, I'm on my second one. For me DeSantis makes nice affordable holsters and they have a decent selection for leftys. With the exception of a Del Fatti and one Milt Sparks all the rest are DeSantis. Now if they made a left handed HK P7 holster!
Old March 6th, 2012, 05:08 PM

(Butler County)

yea, they are pretty affordable compared to some of the custom leather and even galco costs way more. So far I like the holster. I noticed some of the black dye on the bottom is wearing off at the muzzle end. I think that is where the seatbelt in my truck touches it. i will have to look at what is rubbing the holster, but it seems the dye on it isnt very deep into the leather, but oh well, as long as it dont start doing that all over the whole thing. Anyone else have a black holster with the dye wearing off? What would you do to fix it?
Old March 17th, 2012, 02:23 AM

(Butler County)

after being worn a bit. great holster. The draw is excellent now that its reasonably worn in, and it didnt take long either

Last edited by MicroMonkey; February 13th, 2013 at 11:29 PM.