Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Blackhawk Serpa...paddle or belt loop, which do you prefer?

I just got my Serpa II holster for my Ruger P89 and have been making adjustments. Up until now I always used paddle holsters for ease of donning and doffing.

I can't get over how well the Blackhawk paddle stays on. It is impossible to remove without six hands and undoing your pants.

I tried the belt loop attachment and it seems it would put a permanent indentation in my belt where it threads through the holster, something I would rather avoid.

Which is the most popular method for wearing the Serpa II? Does anyone here use the paddle and how the hell do you get it off. I laughed because my first thought was maybe I shouldn't consider the paddle since this was purchased as a retention holster. After trying it out I realized someone would need to tear my pants off my body and take them with them to take my gun.

Comments welcome.
    Last edited by Brudog; July 4th, 2010 at 01:28 AM. Reason: typos

Default Re: Blackhawk Serpa...paddle or belt loop, which do you prefer?

I have been going back & forth & still cant decide myself ... I like & dislike things about both ...
    the paddle is a bitch to take of but then again so is belt loops ... But the paddle goes on quick were as the loops do not ..

I have it on the belt loops now & have had it that way for about two weeks maybe more ...
    "Emergency's seldom favor the unprepared"

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brudog View Post
    I just got my Serpa II holster for my Ruger P89 and have been making adjustments. Up until now I always used paddle holsters for ease of donning and doffing.

I can't get over how well the Blackhawk paddle stays on. It is impossible to remove without six hands and undoing your pants.

I tried the belt loop attachment and it seems it would put a permanent indentation in my belt where it threads through the holster, something I would rather avoid.

Which is the most popular method for wearing the Serpa II? Does anyone here use the paddle and how the hell do you get it off. I laughed because my first thought was maybe I shouldn't consider the paddle since this was purchased as a retention holster. After trying it out I realized someone would need to tear my pants off my body and take them with them to take my gun.

Comments welcome.
    I use the belt loop. It is alot more comfortable to to me. I also can take it off if I need to in the holster. I use a crossbread gunbelt. Do not have indentatons as of yet.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

(Luzerne County)

The real issue for me with the belt loops is I wear a Wilderness Tactical belt with the polymer liner (super stiff). If you put the belt on from the right side like a normal belt the end gets pulled through and doubled over to the left side of my waste. This means I need to take my belt almost completely off to remove the holster.

If I reverse direction it would be more convenient but the doubled over part would be on my right side and would be in the way of wearing a holster.

Up until now I have used a Fobus paddle holster for my other guns. I like the ability to take it on and off easily.

The Serpa II really is on there that's for sure.

(Delaware County)

absolutely hate the paddle holster..I had to drop my pants to take the fucking thing off...
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Monroe County)

Trick to the paddle - Put your weak hand inside your waistband, use 2 fingers to pull the inside portion TOWARDS you (separating the paddle from your pants, feel for the little hook on the bottom of the paddle) and your strong hand to pull OUTWARDS (on the OUTSIDE of your pants) and lift out/off with both hands. Sounds complicated but it isnt, if I had something to record with Id post a video lol. Its quick to take off and put on this way. Took me a while to figure it out myself.

I much prefer the belt loop simply because its my preference, though I did wear the paddle for quite a while and still do on occasion. After awhile the belt loop DOES leave indentations on your belt, you cant help that if you have a leather belt. Either way you wear it be it paddle or belt loop, if someone wants it from you they are tearing your pants off to get it.
    Last edited by SteveinNEPA; July 4th, 2010 at 04:21 AM.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinNEPA View Post
    Trick to the paddle - Put your weak hand inside your waistband, use 2 fingers to pull the inside portion TOWARDS you (separating the paddle from your pants, feel for the little hook on the bottom of the paddle) and your strong hand to pull OUTWARDS (on the OUTSIDE of your pants) and lift out/off with both hands. Sounds complicated but it isnt, if I had something to record with Id post a video lol. Its quick to take off and put on this way. Took me a while to figure it out myself.
    Yep. I also found that rotating it as you come up helped me too. I know use the belt loop attachment almost exclusively, as I've found it to be more comfortable for regular day-long wear and just a bit more stable of a platform than the paddle.
    Last edited by gnbrotz; July 4th, 2010 at 09:22 AM.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Allegheny County)

The paddles can break so the belt option might be better, but they are known to break as well.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

I've broke two paddles. One I'm not sure as to how, the other was while going to sit down I caught on the armrest. The rear portion that wraps over the belt holding inner / outer paddle to holster.
    The other broke on the front sided of the portion wrapping over belt.
    -Remember the Constitution-

I prefer the belt loop. Easy on, easy off. Indentations on the belt really can't be helped, you're hanging roughly 2 lbs of steel on your hip. If you're that concerned, I'm sure you could get some leather products to help with that.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast