Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Firearms > NFA/Class 3/Title II

Notices

NFA/Class 3/Title II Talk about your Machineguns, Suppressors, Short Barreled Rifles, Short Barreled Shotguns, Destructive Devices and AOWs here. You know you want to, they are fun.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old November 18th, 2011, 10:13 AM

(Allegheny County)
Just1more has a reputation beyond reputeJust1more has a reputation beyond reputeJust1more has a reputation beyond reputeJust1more has a reputation beyond reputeJust1more has a reputation beyond reputeJust1more has a reputation beyond reputeJust1more has a reputation beyond reputeJust1more has a reputation beyond reputeJust1more has a reputation beyond reputeJust1more has a reputation beyond reputeJust1more has a reputation beyond repute
Default Suppressor on M&P9

Would like to save some of my hearing and am now have this idea of buying maybe a Gentech suppressor for it (full size). This mfr is just an idea.
Some questions:

I would think its best to buy a threaded barrel and keep the original - S&W sells one and Gentech looks to sell a S&W barrel also for similar $$
Allegheny county - does the sheriff oblige?
Is there anything negative to using a suppressor for the gun ie heat etc
I found info on PAFOA but its from 07/08 and would like current info but not really finding anything as I am not sure where to find it and forms needed.
If I do this and get accepted - is it only me that can shoot this gun with the suppressor or can family (in my presense) also shoot it?

Thanks,

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old November 18th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Grand Member

(Bucks County)
bac0nfat has a reputation beyond reputebac0nfat has a reputation beyond reputebac0nfat has a reputation beyond reputebac0nfat has a reputation beyond reputebac0nfat has a reputation beyond reputebac0nfat has a reputation beyond reputebac0nfat has a reputation beyond reputebac0nfat has a reputation beyond reputebac0nfat has a reputation beyond reputebac0nfat has a reputation beyond reputebac0nfat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suppressor on M&P9

Read the stickies in this forum, they are still accurate and the process is still the same. The only thing that has changed is the wait times (around 5-6 months now).

If you get the suppressor as an individual, you can let your friends and family use it in your presence, as long as they are not prohibited. If you do the trust route, your friends and family can possess and use the suppressor without your presence, IF that particular friend or family member is listed as a trustee on your trust, AND are not prohibited, and all other state and federal laws are complied with.

IANAL
Old November 19th, 2011, 04:01 AM

(Centre County)
SNAFUG36 has a reputation beyond reputeSNAFUG36 has a reputation beyond reputeSNAFUG36 has a reputation beyond reputeSNAFUG36 has a reputation beyond reputeSNAFUG36 has a reputation beyond reputeSNAFUG36 has a reputation beyond reputeSNAFUG36 has a reputation beyond reputeSNAFUG36 has a reputation beyond reputeSNAFUG36 has a reputation beyond reputeSNAFUG36 has a reputation beyond reputeSNAFUG36 has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've seen and in contacting S&W they currently are not producing any threaded barrels for the M&P's, you might be able to find some floating around but I haven't seen any for a while. StormLake makes a good drop in barrel too.
Old November 19th, 2011, 10:10 AM

(Lackawanna County)
fastfive0 has a reputation beyond reputefastfive0 has a reputation beyond reputefastfive0 has a reputation beyond reputefastfive0 has a reputation beyond reputefastfive0 has a reputation beyond reputefastfive0 has a reputation beyond reputefastfive0 has a reputation beyond reputefastfive0 has a reputation beyond reputefastfive0 has a reputation beyond reputefastfive0 has a reputation beyond reputefastfive0 has a reputation beyond repute

S&w makes a factory threaded version of the m&p....it comes with two barrels from the factory....think it's the "tactical" package. It cost about $70 more then a standard m&p.

And for the silencer if you have the money buy the AAC trident or silencerco osprey! Best two cans out there right now! Gemtechs offerings are a bit dated and do not put down the numbers of those two cans. If your budget minded I have a yhm cobra m2 that's a take apart can and does a good job at suppression also....for half the cost of an AAC/silencerco offering.

Last edited by fastfive0; November 19th, 2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old November 19th, 2011, 03:23 PM

(Centre County)
SNAFUG36 has a reputation beyond reputeSNAFUG36 has a reputation beyond reputeSNAFUG36 has a reputation beyond reputeSNAFUG36 has a reputation beyond reputeSNAFUG36 has a reputation beyond reputeSNAFUG36 has a reputation beyond reputeSNAFUG36 has a reputation beyond reputeSNAFUG36 has a reputation beyond reputeSNAFUG36 has a reputation beyond reputeSNAFUG36 has a reputation beyond reputeSNAFUG36 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfive0 View Post
S&w makes a factory threaded version of the m&p....it comes with two barrels from the factory....think it's the "tactical" package. It cost about $70 more then a standard m&p.
It was, but there is nothing on the S&W site anymore.
Old November 19th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Grand Member

(Armstrong County)
Nate7667 has a reputation beyond reputeNate7667 has a reputation beyond reputeNate7667 has a reputation beyond reputeNate7667 has a reputation beyond reputeNate7667 has a reputation beyond reputeNate7667 has a reputation beyond reputeNate7667 has a reputation beyond reputeNate7667 has a reputation beyond reputeNate7667 has a reputation beyond reputeNate7667 has a reputation beyond reputeNate7667 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it was called the Spec Ops versions.
Pretty sure they stopped making it.
As posted, Storm Lake makes great barrels. black or stainless

And as posted in no particular order other than my OCD.
AAC TiRant (45ACP, 40S&W, 9mm)
Silencer Co Osprey (45ACP, 40S&W, 9mm)
SWR Octane (9mm only)
Old November 20th, 2011, 09:52 AM

(Montgomery County)
tacticalreload has a reputation beyond reputetacticalreload has a reputation beyond reputetacticalreload has a reputation beyond reputetacticalreload has a reputation beyond reputetacticalreload has a reputation beyond reputetacticalreload has a reputation beyond reputetacticalreload has a reputation beyond reputetacticalreload has a reputation beyond reputetacticalreload has a reputation beyond reputetacticalreload has a reputation beyond reputetacticalreload has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And for the silencer if you have the money buy the AAC trident or silencerco osprey!
ACC makes a Ti-Rant
SWR makes the Trident
Old November 20th, 2011, 12:23 PM

(Lackawanna County)
fastfive0 has a reputation beyond reputefastfive0 has a reputation beyond reputefastfive0 has a reputation beyond reputefastfive0 has a reputation beyond reputefastfive0 has a reputation beyond reputefastfive0 has a reputation beyond reputefastfive0 has a reputation beyond reputefastfive0 has a reputation beyond reputefastfive0 has a reputation beyond reputefastfive0 has a reputation beyond reputefastfive0 has a reputation beyond repute

Lol yup your right thanks for the correction. Sometimes my typing is faster then my brain lol
Old November 20th, 2011, 01:26 PM

(Allegheny County)
Just1more has a reputation beyond reputeJust1more has a reputation beyond reputeJust1more has a reputation beyond reputeJust1more has a reputation beyond reputeJust1more has a reputation beyond reputeJust1more has a reputation beyond reputeJust1more has a reputation beyond reputeJust1more has a reputation beyond reputeJust1more has a reputation beyond reputeJust1more has a reputation beyond reputeJust1more has a reputation beyond repute

Just called S&W said $153 for threaded barrel 1 1/2x28 and $18 for the thread protector but he did put me on hold - then said back ordered. I think I will call again and see what another person there says.

Sounds awfully complicated. I don't get buying a suppressor first if i don't have an approval - thats what a gun shop employee told me - and its in limbo there until you can pick it up with the approval. Seems odd to spend that kind of money so many months ahead and hoping it goes thru and it gets signed. Is this the way it works?
Old November 20th, 2011, 01:28 PM

(Montgomery County)
tacticalreload has a reputation beyond reputetacticalreload has a reputation beyond reputetacticalreload has a reputation beyond reputetacticalreload has a reputation beyond reputetacticalreload has a reputation beyond reputetacticalreload has a reputation beyond reputetacticalreload has a reputation beyond reputetacticalreload has a reputation beyond reputetacticalreload has a reputation beyond reputetacticalreload has a reputation beyond reputetacticalreload has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Lol yup your right thanks for the correction. Sometimes my typing is faster then my brain lol
For what it's worth, I have a Trident 9. I'm a fan.