Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Clinton County)

Default State College Borough Council reaffirms they are criminals

State College meeting halted by gun brouhaha
    Jessica VanderKolk
    - jvanderk@centredaily.com
    May 3, 2011 7:56am EDT

STATE COLLEGE — Mayor Elizabeth Goreham abruptly ended Monday’s Borough Council meeting just before 9:30 p.m. to stop an argument between Councilman Peter Morris and Tim Havener, president of the central chapter of Firearms Owners Against Crime.

Goreham did so before council was to recess for a work session, near the end of the agenda.

During the meeting’s earlier public hour, Goreham neglected to ask for audience comments, later recognizing Havener’s request to speak. He asked if council had changed its ordinance prohibiting firearms in parks. He visited all Centre Region municipalities with similar ordinances earlier this year, notifying officials they are in violation of state law and requesting a change.

Council voted in early April not to change the ordinance, but to ask the state League of Cities and Municipalities to support legislation prohibiting firearms in municipal parks and buildings.

Havener asked council members if they realized they were in direct violation of state law and committing a crime.

Morris asked Havener if he was armed, which he was.

“I don’t appreciate it,” Morris said. “You come in and you make threats and you’re armed. I voted not to repeal the ordinance and I would again and again and again.”

As Goreham ended the meeting, Morris asked if council could “do anything about that.” As Havener and others with him walked out, he said, “No, you can’t. This is America.”

Earlier in the meeting, council voted 5-2 to send an ordinance to the Planning Commission to consider changing the definition of “student.”

Council members Ron Filippelli and Silvi Lawrence opposed the motion, which asks the commission to consider differentiating between undergraduate and graduate students, based on a request by the three graduate students who were evicted from a house in violation of the student home ordinance.

Chelsey Zacherl, Cairsty Grassie and a third roommate not at the meeting are third-year doctoral students who work half-time as research assistants. They were evicted from their rental home, 1024 Metz Ave., last fall, when it was discovered their landlord could not rent to students according to the ordinance.

It states student homes must stand at least 225 feet apart, which the home does not. The students now live in Ferguson Township.

Filippelli said, and others agreed, that considering a change was a mistake, due to an eroding borough tax base.

“It’s about neighborhood stabilization,” he said. “It’s not about the difference between graduate and undergraduate students; we want to stop the transfer of full-time, permanent homes to rental properties.”

Councilwoman Theresa Lafer agreed, but said the women in question should have some form of protection and council should look at a way to enhance owner responsibility.

Zacherl told council she and her roommates may have paid less in taxes, but they were three individuals paying taxes, as opposed to one family.

“There are students here,” she said. “It's a college town. I don't know how you address that. This was a terrible situation for us. We felt discrimination.”

Read more: http://www.centredaily.com/2011/05/0...#ixzz1LIEeODJW

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: State College Borough Council reaffirms they are criminals

judge, warrant, arrest, then a repeal.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Clinton County)

I talked to the D.A.'s office and left a message with staff requesting prosecution under Title 18 6120 and 5103. Applicable M1 and M2 charges for each member of council as individuals.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by t1m0thy View Post
    I talked to the D.A.'s office and left a message with staff requesting prosecution under Title 18 6120 and 5103. Applicable M1 and M2 charges for each member of council as individuals.
    I would be surprised if it goes anywhere, but props on the initiative and standing up for your, and other's carrying rights Tim.

Some people will just never get it...
    III%

(Bedford County)

subscribed.. I want to watch this closely..
    I am not a lawyer !!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by t1m0thy View Post
    So what happens if the DA refuses to press charges? Can you walk into the PD and file a criminal complaint?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    So what happens if the DA refuses to press charges? Can you walk into the PD and file a criminal complaint?
    I honestly wouldn't see why not? There's illegal activity going on, that is highlighted directly by the PA Constitution.

I don't know though, but I wouldn't see why not.
    III%

(Luzerne County)

would the Attorney General be an option?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Clinton County)

I would think but I am no expert but next step if the DA doesn't do his job would be the Pa Attorny Generals office. But I am not sure.

(Berks County)

There was another thread in which something similar was being discussed (I don't recall which). In short, some states allow individuals to file criminal charges against the government if the AG or DA won't, as to deny such is a violation of one's First Amendment rights to request a "redress of grievances".

Not sure how PA weighs in on this, however.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast