Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default PA CCP not valid in NJ

I recently received a PA concealed carry permit and I bought some handguns and I am trying to become as educated as I can with all related safety and legal matters associated with gun ownership, and concealed carry.
    I was shot in the chest during a robbery over 15yrs ago and nearly died as a result. With all the criminals using guns I decided to finally exercise my right as a law abiding citizen to carry a weapon for protection of myself and the.public if such need happens to occur again.
    The problem I find is that I have family across the bridge in NJ and I have very frequent business dealings which I end up traveling to NJ, often unexpectedly. If I end up crossing the state line I have to figure out what to do with my firearm before I enter NJ so not to break any laws.

What can I do about this, can I get Jersey who "MAY issue" permits grant me their blessing to access my constitutional rights while in transit through their state?
    What is the penalty if a PA resident with CCP is caught with a firearm in a vehicle while traveling through NJ?
    Last edited by Oneway; April 29th, 2013 at 12:06 PM. Reason: advised by senior member

(Chester County)

Default Re: PA CCP not valid in NJ

NJ more or less doesn't issue permits

You'd be in serious carrying a gun in NJ

My understanding is FOPA won't protect you if you are just locking your gun in your car to go into NJ

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Finch00 View Post
    NJ more or less doesn't issue permits

You'd be in serious carrying a gun in NJ

My understanding is FOPA won't protect you if you are just locking your gun in your car to go into NJ
    what is FOPA?

(Delaware County)

If you're lucky this may happen to you, but I wouldn't count on Christie for help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Aitken

(Bucks County)

Greetings,

Sorry, but there is no legal method you will find to allow you to carry in NJ. I have the same issue of traveling there for family, etc. and ALWAYS make sure prior to departing there are NO guns, ammo, mags, etc. in my vehicle. I would suggest you do not go into NJ with any firearm no matter how big the hassle may be. Keep in mind that events out of your control (accident, illness, etc.) could result in major legal problems for you.

Regards, Jim

Caught in nj carrying a gun without a license I believe is something like 7-10 years, if you're carrying hollow points out of njs exemption category that just adds on to the 7-10, plus if the magazine holds more than 15 rounds that's another serious crime in itself
    Nra, SAF, NJ2AS, GOA member

Thumbs down Re: PA CCP not valid in NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Oneway View Post
    I recently received a PA concealed carry permit and I bought some handguns and I am trying to become as educated as I can with all related safety and legal matters associated with gun ownership, and concealed carry.
    I was shot in the chest during a robbery over 15yrs ago and nearly died as a result. With all the criminals using guns I decided to finally exercise my right as a law abiding citizen to carry a weapon for protection of myself and the.public if such need happens to occur again.
    The problem I find is that I have family across the bridge in NJ and I have very frequent business dealings which I end up traveling to NJ, often unexpectedly. If I end up crossing the state line I have to figure out what to do with my firearm before I enter NJ so not to break any laws.
    I don't want to leave my gun anywhere so I usually try to unload and separate the gun and ammo from passenger access, but I am not all that certain this is even technically legal either. Also I have carried in NJ by accident a few times since I carry daily and it becomes 2nd nature as does travel to NJ since it's a frequent occurrence.
    What can I do about this, can I get Jersey who "MAY issue" permits grant me their blessing to access my constitutional rights while in transit through their state?
    What is the penalty if a PA resident with CCP is caught with a firearm in a vehicle while traveling through NJ?
    You are kidding right? If you don't know the law and what your responsibilities are than I would suggest that you stop carrying till you do!
    Can you say Felony? In PA it's not CCP it's LTCF?

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/firearms.html

http://www.usacarry.com/new_jersey_c...formation.html

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Oneway View Post
    what is FOPA?
    The Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986, which on paper allows you to travel between states with a legal firearm in your trunk so long as it is in a locked case and ammunition separate from it. The idea is so that lawful gun owners wouldn't be harassed by states like NY and NJ, but thus far those two states largely ignore it and arrest and charge people anyway.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

The People's Republic of NJ recognizes no other state's CCW (PA LTCF) - sorry. Don't make this mistake, there are long mandatory prison sentences under the Graves Act. Your PA CCW would not be of any help.

NJ firearms laws are essentially written to make everything illegal, 'with exceptions.'

FOPA does not protect you since your destination is NJ.

NJ essentially has an AWB of it's own, so no one can have a prohibited weapon - usually not a problem for pistols.

NJ has a 15 round mag limit (for now).

NJ 'may issue' CCW is rarely granted. Have to go to Superior Court. In other words, 'don't bother applying.'

Bottom line - you cannot even transport into NJ unless your destination is another state. If you had residency in NJ that would change things. Otherwise you have been taking a huge risk.
    Last edited by Silence Dogood; April 18th, 2013 at 10:24 AM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by NRA Member View Post
    You are kidding right? If you don't know the law and what your responsibilities are than I would suggest that you stop carrying till you do!
    Can you say Felony? In PA it's not CCP it's LTCF?

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/firearms.html

http://www.usacarry.com/new_jersey_c...formation.html
    So you suggest I need to know every states laws prior to having the right to be secure and somewhat safe? Keep in mind the very reason for the post was to learn their unreasonable laws so I can follow them to the letter as that in my intention, also keep in mind I have still have a bullet in my chest from the last criminal who tried to kill me, and armed robbery is a common thing in the area which My business is located.
    Have you ever been shot?

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast