Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Hunting

Notices

Hunting Love hunting? Share hunting information here with fellow hunters.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old December 2nd, 2009, 10:48 AM
Grand Member

(Berks County)
BerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond reputeBerksCountyDave has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BerksCountyDave
Default Deer hunting questions.

I haven't hunted deer since I was kid and I was planning on starting again this year, but it just never happened. I'm determined that I'm going to start again next rifle reason, though.

I have a few questions for the hunting gurus here.

1. Antler restrictions - How many points does a buck have to be for me to take it? Also, if I have an "anterless deer" tag, does that allow me only to shoot a doe, or also a buck under x number of points?

2. For you guys without access to private land to hunt on, how do you go about finding a good place to hunt on public land?

3. What is the minimum bullet diameter for deer in PA?

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:15 AM
Grand Member

fingers80002 has a reputation beyond reputefingers80002 has a reputation beyond reputefingers80002 has a reputation beyond reputefingers80002 has a reputation beyond reputefingers80002 has a reputation beyond reputefingers80002 has a reputation beyond reputefingers80002 has a reputation beyond reputefingers80002 has a reputation beyond reputefingers80002 has a reputation beyond reputefingers80002 has a reputation beyond reputefingers80002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deer hunting questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
I haven't hunted deer since I was kid and I was planning on starting again this year, but it just never happened. I'm determined that I'm going to start again next rifle reason, though.

1. Antler restrictions - How many points does a buck have to be for me to take it? Also, if I have an "anterless deer" tag, does that allow me only to shoot a doe, or also a buck under x number of points?

2. For you guys without access to private land to hunt on, how do you go about finding a good place to hunt on public land?

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...a=460&q=176550
Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:33 AM
Administrator

(Jefferson County)
knight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to knight0334 Send a message via AIM to knight0334 Send a message via MSN to knight0334 Send a message via Yahoo to knight0334

Quote:

1. Antler restrictions - How many points does a buck have to be for me to take it? Also, if I have an "anterless deer" tag, does that allow me only to shoot a doe, or also a buck under x number of points? It depends on the area of the state.

2. For you guys without access to private land to hunt on, how do you go about finding a good place to hunt on public land? Go to state forest or game lands, then look around. Expect others to be in the prime spots so pick several.

3. What is the minimum bullet diameter for deer in PA? None for rifle, it just has to be centerfire. But be considerate and choose wisely. I prefer buffalo/elephant gun .458" diameter..

In red above..
Old December 2nd, 2009, 03:23 PM

(Berks County)
huntr70 has a reputation beyond reputehuntr70 has a reputation beyond reputehuntr70 has a reputation beyond reputehuntr70 has a reputation beyond reputehuntr70 has a reputation beyond reputehuntr70 has a reputation beyond reputehuntr70 has a reputation beyond reputehuntr70 has a reputation beyond reputehuntr70 has a reputation beyond reputehuntr70 has a reputation beyond reputehuntr70 has a reputation beyond repute

Antlerless is strictly doe or button buck. If you can see small spikes let it go to grow. Most of the state is 3 points per side.....

Use 6mm on up for deer.....I prefer .30 caliber.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 07:21 AM

(Chester County)
Poonie has a reputation beyond reputePoonie has a reputation beyond reputePoonie has a reputation beyond reputePoonie has a reputation beyond reputePoonie has a reputation beyond reputePoonie has a reputation beyond reputePoonie has a reputation beyond reputePoonie has a reputation beyond reputePoonie has a reputation beyond reputePoonie has a reputation beyond reputePoonie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

1. In most of the state, as long as the buck has three points on one side(parts of western Pa require 4 on one side) its legal. Even if it only has one antler, as long as it has at least 3 points as far as I"m aware, its still legal. Antlerless is defined as a doe, or a buck with antler less than 1 in long, AKA button buck.

2. On public land, buy a topographical map of the area, then try to find a spot away from trails parking lots, wide spots in the road, etc. or in other words, way off the beaten path. Only problem then is you may have to move to see deer, or have a partner who can drive while you stand, and vice versa.

3. No minimum, but must be centerfire. .223 caliber guns have and are used successfully on deer, so don't believe you need 6mm and up as was suggested. Know your gun and know its limitations.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 10:34 AM

(Bucks County)
wis bang has a reputation beyond reputewis bang has a reputation beyond reputewis bang has a reputation beyond reputewis bang has a reputation beyond reputewis bang has a reputation beyond reputewis bang has a reputation beyond reputewis bang has a reputation beyond reputewis bang has a reputation beyond reputewis bang has a reputation beyond reputewis bang has a reputation beyond reputewis bang has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
1. In most of the state, as long as the buck has three points on one side(parts of western Pa require 4 on one side) its legal. Even if it only has one antler, as long as it has at least 3 points as far as I"m aware, its still legal. Antlerless is defined as a doe, or a buck with antler less than 1 in long, AKA button buck.

2. On public land, buy a topographical map of the area, then try to find a spot away from trails parking lots, wide spots in the road, etc. or in other words, way off the beaten path. Only problem then is you may have to move to see deer, or have a partner who can drive while you stand, and vice versa.

3. No minimum, but must be centerfire. .223 caliber guns have and are used successfully on deer, so don't believe you need 6mm and up as was suggested. Know your gun and know its limitations.
Anterless is under 3" long antlers same as it was b/4 the AR. You can't shoot a spike over 3" or a 'Y' buck unless you are a junior hunter/mentored huter.