Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default First Flintlock Rifle

So it was my goal this year to hold out until after the flintlock season to try to pick up a used rifle to start practicing with in preparation for the 2015/16 season. Problem is, I don't really know what to look for in a flintlock.

I have yet to make it out the the LGS's to see what they have. Looking online, it seems that the Traditions Deerhunter is a good starter gun, but the company is based in CT. Any good quality manufacturers here in PA?

I am not opposed to buying new, but would prefer to save the coin and start out with something used. Budget can be pushed as high as $500 if need be, but really I was hoping to spend less than $250.

I know that different twist rates are better suited to different projectiles, and I would like to have as much flexibility in the choice of projectile as possible. Most importantly, I need to know what to look for in wear, damage, or certain makes/models to avoid while I cruise the used racks.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: First Flintlock Rifle

Set aside a a Saturday afternoon and take a drive to Dixon's in Kempton. You may be able find something used in your $ range. If nothing else you will be able to see what your choices are......

(Berks County)

+1 Dixon's. They're the bomb & will set you up right. Well worth the drive from Bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by heatheroo View Post
    Set aside a a Saturday afternoon and take a drive to Dixon's in Kempton. You may be able find something used in your $ range. If nothing else you will be able to see what your choices are......
    looked on a map and it looks fairly close to Cabelas... I may have to stop in next time im in the area. Thanks for the recommendations!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by firebird.77 View Post

{snipped}

Any good quality manufacturers here in PA?

{snipped}
    OMG! Are you seriously asking that question?

The BEST flintlock rifle manufacturers in the world were from PA. The Lancaster style of the Pennsylvania Rifle is still being made here by a number of manufacturers, however they are not mass producers. You'll pay a pretty penny for one, but you'll have an heirloom.

Allen Martin makes them, and goes around teaching people. http://www.allenmartinrifles.net/
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

I acquired two back around 1980. The first was a CVA with a made in Spain lock. It takes a small flint kind of a CVA proprietary manufacture. The jaws of the flint-holding hammer are small and barely able to hold the flint. Consequently, the flint spark is unreliable. I really liked the rifle and asked Dixon's if anyone made a replacement lock and they said no. That prompted me to purchase a TC flintlock. Perfect. Pay attention to the quality of the lock.

When I hunted flintlock PA only allowed primitive. Patched round ball only, no Minie bullets. If that has changed, then attention to twist is in order.

(Bucks County)

Somewhere around Pipersville-Ottsville, I believe on northbound side of 611 there is a sign Muzzle Loaders.

I searched Muzzle Loader Bucks County and there are quite a few things to read:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=Muzzle+...59dc915e37665f

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Somewhere around Pipersville-Ottsville, I believe on northbound side of 611 there is a sign Muzzle Loaders.

I searched Muzzle Loader Bucks County and there are quite a few things to read:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=Muzzle+...59dc915e37665f
    That's Charley Stones store....or at least it was when I lived in that neck of the woods. It is/was a pretty decent shop.

(Allegheny County)

Take a look at the Lyman Deer Stalker. It's a nice compact, reliable rifle from a reputable company.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/106...24-barrel-blue
    Toujours prêt

(Cumberland County)

I would recommend that you go 50 cal. There seems to be more out there to support 50 cal than the other calibers. Not that there isn't 54 cal stuff out there, but if you're in a pinch at deer camp, you're more likely to find 50 cal stuff on the shelf at the local store (Bass Pro, WalMart, etc).

For flint - REAL black powder only. The substitutes have a higher flash point and are harder to light. Most people have trouble getting reliable ignition with them. Those that do manage to get the candle to light often complain about the delay between "click" and "bang". 4F in the pan, 2F or 3F in the bore depending on the caliber. 3F can also be used in the pan.

You're about to open a whole new room of the money pit that is the shooting sports. This is some fun shit.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast