Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Local Fox- Suspected Mange (Possible Rabies?)

There is a fox that has been coming around my house recently that appears to have mange. I first saw it around 11:30 am one day, eating apples (or deer scat?) under my apple tree. The back half of the fox is missing a lot of fur, indicative of intense scratching. The fox was stumbling along, seemingly unaware of it's obvious exposure as it meandered across a field.

The behavior made me suspect rabies, but the fur loss suggests mange. Apparently, mange is the more likely culprit, as rabies is somewhat rare in foxes.

I was hoping that this critter was just passing through, but recent trail cam footage suggests that the fox is continually returning to the property, mostly at night.

We have no dogs and I have kept the cats inside since discovering the fox. Both neighbors have dogs, and while I have warned them about the fox I am worried that one of our animals could become infected.

I understand the current hunting laws etc. I have considered multiple cures for the problem, including ignoring it (but then the fox came back), the S.S.S. method, calling animal control (can't find a number, we may not have one?), and even baiting it with food treated with ivermectin.

Any suggestions?

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Local Fox- Suspected Mange (Possible Rabies?)

Ummm... just 2 weeks ago here in Tioga County there were 2 fox attacks on people, one child, one adult, separate incidents, both turned out rabid and in both cases the family shot the fox.

I don't really see foxes during the day and considering it's condition it very well could have rabies.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    Ummm... just 2 weeks ago here in Tioga County there were 2 fox attacks on people, one child, one adult, separate incidents, both turned out rabid and in both cases the family shot the fox.

I don't really see foxes during the day and considering it's condition it very well could have rabies.
    Good to know. To be honest, had I gotten all the information at once I would have reacted better to the situation.

As it played out:

Locking up house- see fox in yard. Strange...
    Grab unloaded .22, to use scope to look at fox from inside the house
    Notice stumbling, messed up fur etc
    Fox walks away

I don't want to involve myself unnecessarily or encourage the fox to come back to my property, but at the same time I want to know that it won't come back...

Maybe I should call the game commission?

(Bucks County)

My step daughter swears she saw a chupacabra in a field right by our house about two years ago.

(Monroe County)

Where did you see the fox? My granddaughter lives near the Grange.

(Lehigh County)

I live on the border b/w Allentown and Whitehall, near 15th St. The neighborhood is just a lot of homes with a few small fields here and there...I use the term "fields" loosely. We've had foxes every year for the last 10 or 15 yrs. Rabies may be rare in foxes but we've had 2 rabid foxes...that I know of. The first was shot by police on our driveway. My father went to get the mail and never saw it until walking back to the house. He called the cops. The second came thru last year during the day. I didn't see it but it was the talk of the town for a while. When I talke my Collie out at night, I take my 9 or .40 with me. here's a field behind our house and they cut thru our yard to get to the field. I don't encourage them but they've been here a long time apparently...so I won't harm them either unless they come after my dog or other family.

(Lackawanna County)

Rabies is actually pretty common in foxes. If you see one stumbling around in the day, it's probably rabid.

(Lehigh County)

Our two rabid foxes were daytimers...pretty good sign of rabies.

(Somerset County)

I've seen plenty of foxes out in the daytime. Pups playing outside the den, following the tractor when I mowed hay (easy pickin's on the mice) etc. With the hair loss mentioned, I'd agree with mange, rather than rabies.

I'd call the Game Commission and go from there.

Dale

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by firebird.77 View Post
    There is a fox that has been coming around my house recently that appears to have mange. I first saw it around 11:30 am one day, eating apples (or deer scat?) under my apple tree. The back half of the fox is missing a lot of fur, indicative of intense scratching. The fox was stumbling along, seemingly unaware of it's obvious exposure as it meandered across a field.

The behavior made me suspect rabies, but the fur loss suggests mange. Apparently, mange is the more likely culprit, as rabies is somewhat rare in foxes.

I was hoping that this critter was just passing through, but recent trail cam footage suggests that the fox is continually returning to the property, mostly at night.

We have no dogs and I have kept the cats inside since discovering the fox. Both neighbors have dogs, and while I have warned them about the fox I am worried that one of our animals could become infected.

I understand the current hunting laws etc. I have considered multiple cures for the problem, including ignoring it (but then the fox came back), the S.S.S. method, calling animal control (can't find a number, we may not have one?), and even baiting it with food treated with ivermectin.

Any suggestions?
    Rabies is not uncommon at all with Foxes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast