Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Rifle deer season change in 4-C

I don't know if this was posted yet but according to the Pa. State Game Commission-State Wildlife Management Agency website there is a change this year for the rifle deer hunting season in management unit 4-C. Due to the depletion of the herd the commission has made the following change in this unit and it follows some other units also: December 1st to December 5th you may only shoot antlered deer. December 6th to December 13th you may shoot both antlered and antlerless deer. I don't live in that management unit but I have hunted there for many years and after seeing less deer in that part of Carbon county for years now, the change does not surprise me. I think it was needed.
    Navy ⚓️ 1965–1969

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Rifle deer season change in 4-C

No doe, or low doe means not a lot of fawn drops in the spring. Probably a good move by the PGC to bolster the heard and increase the total....and the number of racks as well.

Hang on a few years and hopefully you guys that hunt that section will see some more horns to chase.

Dave

(Washington County)

That's how we do it down here in 2A. Started a few years back.

I don't mind it.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

(Montgomery County)

2F started that a few years ago. It seems to have worked nicely. Every year since we've been seeing more and more deer.

That's been going on for 5 or 6 seasons now up this way.
    I haven't seen a big change in the deer population. It doesn't effect dmaps, which is most of the accessible public land except game lands.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Berks County)

Honestly I don't feel this is a bad thing. The deer population in the area of 4C I hunt has definitely thinned over the last few years. This past season the # of deer I actually saw was less than 1/3 that I normally see and of those that I saw only 1 mature doe. The only buck I saw was the one I took the last day. Years past I could choose what I wanted to take home. It was nothing to pass up 3 or 4 smaller bucks.

I'm sure there are going to be several people that are not happy about it, but all in all I think its a great idea. I generally can only get vacation the second week anyway, and when I do have the first day off I refuse to take a doe unless I already take a buck.

(Carbon County)

I have been hunting 4-C for a long, long time. Most of the public land is beat into the dirt and has been for the last 20-25 years. It is about time that somebody in the Game Commission takes notice. Recently the Game Commission did a controlled burn near me. It is about time they do some real world work instead of trying to BS everybody with computer generated statistics. I hunted a place in Maryland that used to burn every couple years (Not intended). The woods looked great in two years. Maybe the Commission finally hired some people worth the money. GUESSING the deer kill every year? How stupid can you get.

(Somerset County)

They have that in 2E also. It was a pain in my ass when I lived down east, drive up Saturday after Thanksgiving, hunt the opening 2 or 3 days, go home and then I didn't want to drive back up for the Saturday doe opener so I hunted SGL's down east. Drove up for the last Friday and Saturday, so my doe season in 2E was 2 days.

It's not so bad now that I only live 2 hours away plus there's a lot more places to hunt in 2C than down east if I stay home.

Dale

(Franklin County)

Yes, and now they are putting about 80 wind turbines on top of the Broad Mountain. They claim they will be located fairly close together and will have little impact on the hunting there. We will see. It is where I used to hunt and the hunting was good there. This being in Carbon County.
    Last edited by Swamp Fox; April 23rd, 2014 at 09:10 PM.
    Navy ⚓️ 1965–1969

(Cumberland County)

Hold it just a minute. The PGC has determined that more doe are needed to maintain the size of the herd?!?!?!?!?

NO SHIT!!!!! We've been telling them this for years.

They're a bunch of fucking geniuses.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast