Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default I AM REALLY ADDICTED ! ! (pics)

I now knowingly admit I have a irreversible addiction. Who goes out with a 32 grain bullet in 20 to 30 mph swirling winds and takes 200 yard shots. ME ! ! !.
    If you live in PA you know what I am talking about on this Saturday. I had to wear my glasses to keep my eyes from watering like Niagra Falls.

This wind did not phase that .204. I was tempted to throw curve balls, but some target shooting in wind told me to hold on, rethink and do what the gun has told me in the past.
    I got 2 today and where I put the crosshairs, that equaled the impact area. AMAZING ! !

1 pic chuck was siting on rock pile, another pic shows impact behind jaw. That is where I put the crosshairs. Both shot on a pleasant windy day. Time for my afternoon Meds.

Two days I am now 5 for 5. Please don't consider this bragging. It's the equipment not the shooter. One of my buds said to me "they are only groundhogs'. Not being a wise arse I said to myself, "SELF, you can't shoot at them lying on a couch"

One of my DairyFarmer's said "you are pretty good at this"---I disagree. I have the time to pursue this passion and maybe a little bit of patience. I am blessed with time and patience that equals a chance at success. Another advantage is my season just started and it goes to October.

You shooters get out there. Pay a little dues and get some exciting medium / long range shooting. Believe me they are not just Chucks, they are a day out in the field and feeling just perfect. Even when you have to chase down your blaze cap in the wind . At my age I normally only think about running, but I was not going to lose my LUCKY cap.
    fossil
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ImAfossil; April 5th, 2014 at 07:55 PM. Reason: fix
    Do the eyes go first ?????? MAYBE NOT !

(Beaver County)

Default Re: I AM REALLY ADDICTED ! ! (pics)

Nice shooting !

One of these days I may have to add a .204 to the collection.

Update : 204 has been added,now need some glass.
    Last edited by GrumpyBear; April 26th, 2014 at 07:11 AM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Berks County)

Keep on posting!

(Washington County)

You sir are inspiring! After reading your few posts lately I have been looking into hunting groundhogs. I never knew anybody that hunted them.

The last year or two I have been doing more hunting. I have always done deer and a little small game, but this spring I'm going to go turkey hunting for the first time. Hope it goes well as I am self taught.

I have access to some land, I'm assuming fields are best? My step dad just purchased a .22-250 and I'm thinking of asking him to try hogs with me. We could use that bonding time as things have been rough in the past.

I can see you have great passion. That's awesome. I have the passion as well and hope its as great as yours someday.
    Thanks
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

(Dauphin County)

Nice shots, keep posting. I like to use a .17 HMR I have not taken any shots over 100 yards. BUt that 17 HMR is very accuarte out to 100 yards and it does the job on Ground hogs. Can't wait to get out there and get after them.

(Bucks County)

First of all, great shooting. Photos always enhance the story like no other medium.

Now...why is it men are Oprahized to the point they feel sheepish about telling of a successful outcome to an endeavor and have to jump through self-imposed hoops in an effort to avoid appearing to be "bragging"?

If you can do it, it ain't bragging!

Please tell us about the equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by ImAfossil View Post
    I now knowingly admit I have a irreversible addiction. Who goes out with a 32 grain bullet in 20 to 30 mph swirling winds and takes 200 yard shots. ME ! ! !.
    If you live in PA you know what I am talking about on this Saturday. I had to wear my glasses to keep my eyes from watering like Niagra Falls.

This wind did not phase that .204. I was tempted to throw curve balls, but some target shooting in wind told me to hold on, rethink and do what the gun has told me in the past.
    I got 2 today and where I put the crosshairs, that equaled the impact area. AMAZING ! !

1 pic chuck was siting on rock pile, another pic shows impact behind jaw. That is where I put the crosshairs. Both shot on a pleasant windy day. Time for my afternoon Meds.

Two days I am now 5 for 5. Please don't consider this bragging. It's the equipment not the shooter. One of my buds said to me "they are only groundhogs'. Not being a wise arse I said to myself, "SELF, you can't shoot at them lying on a couch"

One of my DairyFarmer's said "you are pretty good at this"---I disagree. I have the time to pursue this passion and maybe a little bit of patience. I am blessed with time and patience that equals a chance at success. Another advantage is my season just started and it goes to October.

You shooters get out there. Pay a little dues and get some exciting medium / long range shooting. Believe me they are not just Chucks, they are a day out in the field and feeling just perfect. Even when you have to chase down your blaze cap in the wind . At my age I normally only think about running, but I was not going to lose my LUCKY cap.
    fossil
    Fossil, I always love your posts. You have such a great passion for shooting and spending time out in the field, and I know that others and I really relate to that. I can DEFINITELY relate to shooting in the kind of winds that you are shooting in, and how crazy it is. There's a few videos on this forum of me shooting at 800 and 1,000 yards in the kind of wind you're talking about. It's crazy to most people, but it isn't crazy if you're putting hits on target, lol. It's also pretty interesting to just see how much the saying "speed kills" is reinforced by your post. Most people are so worried about how "flat shooting" the cartridge is, but you hit right on the true benefit of very high velocity rounds, less wind drift. I've shot out to 500 yards in fairly high wind (15-17 mph) with a .204 and didn't have problems putting hits on a 12"x12" target. Even though the distances are shorter, it's still quite something to put hits on a much smaller target at 200 yards. It's awesome how well you know your rifle, and that you're trusting your instincts. I love the photos, and I must say that I have to agree with the farmer, "you're pretty good at this." :-).

I'm curious if the range cards ever helped you out, or if you've tried the approach for a little faster shooting. I'm also curious if you ever ended up getting you a rangefinder, spotting scope, and the route you may or may not have gone with all that. Keep it coming, I know you have lots of fans, and I'm definitely one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by M&P Chris View Post
    You sir are inspiring! After reading your few posts lately I have been looking into hunting groundhogs. I never knew anybody that hunted them.

The last year or two I have been doing more hunting. I have always done deer and a little small game, but this spring I'm going to go turkey hunting for the first time. Hope it goes well as I am self taught.

I have access to some land, I'm assuming fields are best? My step dad just purchased a .22-250 and I'm thinking of asking him to try hogs with me. We could use that bonding time as things have been rough in the past.

I can see you have great passion. That's awesome. I have the passion as well and hope its as great as yours someday.
    Thanks

I agree with you completely, Fossil is definitely inspiring. We don't have many groundhogs around here, but I definitely hunt quite a lot of ground squirrels and prairie dogs. It's good to see that you're branching out and hunting so many things. Turkey can be a bit difficult to hunt sometimes, especially for a bird. One thing to keep in mind is that they see VERY well. Camouflage is key, and it definitely helps to keep your head covered. Something else to remember is that Turkeys CAN see the color red, so be careful with that.

I think that it could definitely be a positive experience to spend time with your stepfather in the field hunting prairie dogs. I know that shooter/spotter format can be a huge bonding experience. You learn to trust each other, especially when they're calling corrections, and how to adjust with each other. You have to be a team, and it's a lot of fun as long as nobody holds anything against someone else, and just goes with it. Misses do happen, and that's how we all learn. If that's the attitude you both take, you'll have shots to always talk about and bond with, and close misses to laugh about and in time give each other a little bit of fun chiding about. Just remember not to start too soon with the chiding until you both know you can hit, so nobody gets their feelings hurt and the whole bonding time gets shot down right as it starts.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    First of all, great shooting. Photos always enhance the story like no other medium.

Now...why is it men are Oprahized to the point they feel sheepish about telling of a successful outcome to an endeavor and have to jump through self-imposed hoops in an effort to avoid appearing to be "bragging"?

If you can do it, it ain't bragging!

Please tell us about the equipment?
    For Bang, RE: Equipment----When the .204 Ruger was getting some play, I wanted to go up in caliber, but as a courtesy to the property owners, I did not want a fire breathing, ROARING monster. The .204 seemed to fit.
    I started with the H&R single shot, with the intent if it worked, I would graduate to a bull bolt action. Never got there and I am staying where I am right now.
    I have had 5 different scopes mounted on the .204----A 3X9, 4x12, 25X Unertyl, 4X16 and now a 6x24 (40 & 50mm). They all worked.
    I had the trigger lightened (factory was 7 lbs) to 4 lbs. I like a bit lighter, but again it works. I am a reloader, but I stuck with Hornady 32 and some 40 grain Varmint loads. These for factory loads really shoot.

Basically the gun is a stock factory .204 Ruger Single shot. Another feature I really like and remember the foot pounds delivered, on a groundhog are a drop dead at 400 yards, is the lack of serious recoil. Most times I can spot my miss right through the scope.

WHY DOES IT WORK ???? I beleive the confidence I have in that lil' single, along with taking your time (yoiu get one working shot) puts me in the zone. Total concentration.
    fossil

(Lebanon County)

Lest I forget;

I am really struck by the comments on my 2 posts. WOW ! ! ! Really unexpected.
    Words like Sir, Passion, Inspiration, etc. These words are heavy hitters. You are making this oldtimer start to choke up.

I try to make these happenings fun to read and maybe motivate fellow hunters to look around. There is a lot out there.

Sorry, gotta' run, time to blow my nose.

THANKS

JOHN (aka fossil)
    Last edited by ImAfossil; April 6th, 2014 at 01:48 PM. Reason: fix

(Luzerne County)

Your posts are inspiring. It's really making me wanna get out woodchucking a little early. Keep doing what you doing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast