Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Hunting

Notices

Hunting Love hunting? Share hunting information here with fellow hunters.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old August 24th, 2013, 09:16 PM

(Carbon County)
mattsilf is a jewel in the roughmattsilf is a jewel in the roughmattsilf is a jewel in the roughmattsilf is a jewel in the rough
Default Youth Mentor Hunt

Can somebody please clear this up for me? I was under the impression that my son who has his youth mentor permit, hunts in that special junior and senior season at the end of October. But in the Season and Bag list, it says nothing about mentored youth for that season. Is that when he's supposed to hunt or is he supposed to wait until the regular firearms season?

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old August 25th, 2013, 07:32 AM
PAFOA Gold Supporter

(Chester County)
dwalk has a reputation beyond reputedwalk has a reputation beyond reputedwalk has a reputation beyond reputedwalk has a reputation beyond reputedwalk has a reputation beyond reputedwalk has a reputation beyond reputedwalk has a reputation beyond reputedwalk has a reputation beyond reputedwalk has a reputation beyond reputedwalk has a reputation beyond reputedwalk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Youth Mentor Hunt

I believe the mentored youth can hunt during the special youth season and during the regular season.
Old August 25th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Grand Member

(Somerset County)
dk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond repute

He can hunt antlerless deer if the MENTOR has an appropriate antlerless tag which must be transferred to the youth after he kills an antlerless deer.

FAQ here:

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=622413&mode=2

Dale
Old August 25th, 2013, 12:44 PM

(Lycoming County)
JLR666 has a reputation beyond reputeJLR666 has a reputation beyond reputeJLR666 has a reputation beyond reputeJLR666 has a reputation beyond reputeJLR666 has a reputation beyond reputeJLR666 has a reputation beyond reputeJLR666 has a reputation beyond reputeJLR666 has a reputation beyond reputeJLR666 has a reputation beyond reputeJLR666 has a reputation beyond reputeJLR666 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to JLR666

The FAQ doesn't answer the question. Thinking calling them may be the only answer.
Old August 25th, 2013, 04:54 PM

(Luzerne County)
pdougc has a reputation beyond reputepdougc has a reputation beyond reputepdougc has a reputation beyond reputepdougc has a reputation beyond reputepdougc has a reputation beyond reputepdougc has a reputation beyond reputepdougc has a reputation beyond reputepdougc has a reputation beyond reputepdougc has a reputation beyond reputepdougc has a reputation beyond reputepdougc has a reputation beyond repute

I have never asked the Game Commission, they way I have always done it and seen it done is the mentored youth hunts during "regular" not junior/senior seasons.
...there are the true Americans that believe man can govern him/her self. They believe that ingenuity, integrity, hard work, morals and values have merit. That the government is accountable to the people and not the other way around.
Old August 25th, 2013, 05:08 PM

(Carbon County)
mattsilf is a jewel in the roughmattsilf is a jewel in the roughmattsilf is a jewel in the roughmattsilf is a jewel in the rough

That sounds like a really stupid concept if they have to wait til the regular firearms season. That would mean older kids get the best crack at it and the younger kids get screwed.
Old August 25th, 2013, 07:08 PM

(Luzerne County)
pdougc has a reputation beyond reputepdougc has a reputation beyond reputepdougc has a reputation beyond reputepdougc has a reputation beyond reputepdougc has a reputation beyond reputepdougc has a reputation beyond reputepdougc has a reputation beyond reputepdougc has a reputation beyond reputepdougc has a reputation beyond reputepdougc has a reputation beyond reputepdougc has a reputation beyond repute

I take my 6 year old out during archery. Give your local GC Office a shout and see what they say.
...there are the true Americans that believe man can govern him/her self. They believe that ingenuity, integrity, hard work, morals and values have merit. That the government is accountable to the people and not the other way around.
Old August 25th, 2013, 07:32 PM

(Carbon County)

thanks guys, I will have to give them a call
Old August 26th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Grand Member

(Somerset County)
dk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR666 View Post
The FAQ doesn't answer the question. Thinking calling them may be the only answer.
From the FAQ:

What Species Can Be Taken By a Youth Participating in the Program? The species identified as legal for the Mentored Youth Hunting Program are squirrels, woodchucks (groundhogs), antlered and antlerless deer, fall turkey, spring gobbler and coyotes. When hunting for antlered deer, those youth participating in the Mentored Youth Hunting Program are permitted to follow the same antler restrictions as a junior license holder, which is one antler of three or more inches in length or one antler with at least two points.

Is the Addition of Antlerless Deer New? Yes, antlerless deer hunting was added to the line up of legal species in 2011-12. When hunting antlerless deer, the adult mentor must be in possession of a valid antlerless deer license that can be transferred to the youth if he/she harvests an antlerless deer. The field harvest tag is to be completed by the youth and attached to the carcass. The harvest of the antlerless deer is to be reported by the adult mentor within five days of harvest, and a box is to be checked “taken by mentored youth.”
Old August 28th, 2013, 12:59 PM

(Carbon County)

I just wanted to update you guys. I emailed the game commission and they wrote back saying that mentored youth can hunt all special junior hunt seasons. So that means Oct 24-26 they are eligible to hunt with.