Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Hunting

Notices

Hunting Love hunting? Share hunting information here with fellow hunters.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old April 27th, 2008, 02:33 PM

(Dauphin County)
zep_1 has much to be proud ofzep_1 has much to be proud ofzep_1 has much to be proud ofzep_1 has much to be proud ofzep_1 has much to be proud ofzep_1 has much to be proud ofzep_1 has much to be proud ofzep_1 has much to be proud ofzep_1 has much to be proud of
Default groundhog hunting

does anyone have a farm that needs groundhogs removed in the hummelstown/hershey area. I love hunting groundhogs and am from halifax/millersburg area and thats a little far to hung hogs after work.
-thanks

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old May 7th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Grand Member

aubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: groundhog hunting

I grew up in Millersburg. I worked on a farm in Lykens that I hunt every summer. It's a hike from Pottstown, but well worth it.

I'm doubting you will find too many farmers in the Hershey area willing to allow you to hunt their land...since it's such a commercial area now.
Old May 7th, 2008, 07:30 PM

(Bedford County)
jdpate will become famous soon enoughjdpate will become famous soon enough

Are groundhogs edible?
Old May 7th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Grand Member

aubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond reputeaubie515 has a reputation beyond repute

I hear the young ones are good eating. I probably could have saved the one I shot tonight, but I didn't want to gross out my wife. She was with me at the club and she would have freaked if I would have bagged Mr. No Brainer.
Old May 19th, 2008, 07:27 PM

(Dauphin County)
zep_1 has much to be proud ofzep_1 has much to be proud ofzep_1 has much to be proud ofzep_1 has much to be proud ofzep_1 has much to be proud ofzep_1 has much to be proud ofzep_1 has much to be proud ofzep_1 has much to be proud ofzep_1 has much to be proud of

aubie chances are you had my dad for a high school shop teacher if you grew up in millersburg, I figured it was a slim chance on finding anyone around hershey to let my hunt hogs, I have also considered the fact of eating groundhogs considering they are not much different than rabbits, but have not brought myself to that yet
Old May 20th, 2008, 04:55 AM

(Perry County)
stang1911 is on a distinguished road

If my dog doesn't eat it, I'm not eating it.
Old May 20th, 2008, 08:50 AM

(Columbia County)
toadyoforangeville has a reputation beyond reputetoadyoforangeville has a reputation beyond reputetoadyoforangeville has a reputation beyond reputetoadyoforangeville has a reputation beyond reputetoadyoforangeville has a reputation beyond reputetoadyoforangeville has a reputation beyond reputetoadyoforangeville has a reputation beyond reputetoadyoforangeville has a reputation beyond reputetoadyoforangeville has a reputation beyond reputetoadyoforangeville has a reputation beyond reputetoadyoforangeville has a reputation beyond repute

If so many people want recipies for differen critters why isn't there a sticky for it?? any way, some I know used to fry them with flour like fish or roast them it is like the very poor mans beef. and a lot of critters in PA are quite tasty. (if u are with some one who knows their way around a fire).
Old May 20th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Grand Member

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland
XD40coyote has a reputation beyond reputeXD40coyote has a reputation beyond reputeXD40coyote has a reputation beyond reputeXD40coyote has a reputation beyond reputeXD40coyote has a reputation beyond reputeXD40coyote has a reputation beyond reputeXD40coyote has a reputation beyond reputeXD40coyote has a reputation beyond reputeXD40coyote has a reputation beyond reputeXD40coyote has a reputation beyond reputeXD40coyote has a reputation beyond repute

Red foxes sure love the meat of groundhogs, so even if you leave it lay, a fox will likley find it that night. In fact if there is a known fox den nearby, take the groundhog close to it and drop it off. Don't go right to the den or the foxes may spook and move to another den location.

Otherwise, yes I have heard the young 'chucks are good eating, but there is a gland located inside 2 of the legs ( not sure front or rear) that needs removed first. Probably just chop the meat up and crock pot it in onion soup mix or barbeque sauce a few hours.

BTW to give you an idea how populous these critters can be, a friend of mine and a farmer took out 149 of them off just 1 farm last year. I am guessing about 200 acres of farmland, and around 100 were taken in traps, the rest were shot. Several were youngins, they can have litters of 6-7.
Old March 20th, 2010, 07:00 PM

(Lycoming County)
JASONDUKE5 is an unknown quantity at this point

did u ever find a place to ground hog hunt. i live up by williamsport area and always looking for new people to take out ground hogging. hope if i invite people here to do so they will invite me to there home town one day to hunt