Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Hunting

Notices

Hunting Love hunting? Share hunting information here with fellow hunters.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old July 22nd, 2012, 09:15 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location:
Manheim, Pennsylvania
(Lancaster County)
Posts: 26
Rep Power: 0
toddclites has much to be proud oftoddclites has much to be proud oftoddclites has much to be proud oftoddclites has much to be proud oftoddclites has much to be proud oftoddclites has much to be proud oftoddclites has much to be proud oftoddclites has much to be proud oftoddclites has much to be proud of
Default HELP!!!Food plots what the #%$ uh duh!!!

Ive done a ton of research but all it has done is make me even more confused. Obviously I live in pa,Lancaster near Manheim. A property owner has given me permission to plant food plots and sole rights to hunt. I want to plant a crop or crop mixture that will help keep the deer in the area. Especially a crop that will have them around during rifle season. So if anyone has experience with this very confusing science and can explain it to me without further confusing me my family will greatly appreciate it.
I have a four wheeler and tiling attachments but nothing bigger.
Thank you everyone.
Reply With Quote

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

  #2 (permalink)  
Old July 22nd, 2012, 03:19 PM
A-5's Avatar
A-5 A-5 is offline
Grand Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location:
lehigh valley, Pennsylvania
(Lehigh County)
Posts: 1,201
Rep Power: 50144
A-5 has a reputation beyond reputeA-5 has a reputation beyond reputeA-5 has a reputation beyond reputeA-5 has a reputation beyond reputeA-5 has a reputation beyond reputeA-5 has a reputation beyond reputeA-5 has a reputation beyond reputeA-5 has a reputation beyond reputeA-5 has a reputation beyond reputeA-5 has a reputation beyond reputeA-5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP!!!Food plots what the #%$ uh duh!!!

http://www.plantbiologic.com/default.aspx

Front page will tell you what to do follow instructions.

http://www.plantbiologic.com/c-71-fall-blends.aspx

Then pick one of these. Click on one it will tell you what and how long it will be alive for.
__________________
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old July 22nd, 2012, 03:24 PM
Grand Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location:
Somerset, Pennsylvania
(Somerset County)
Posts: 1,514
Rep Power: 29276
dk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP!!!Food plots what the #%$ uh duh!!!

Wait until Sept. and plant Rye, Triticale, or Wheat. Easy to establish (Rye will almost grow on concrete ) and no maintenance required. They will be green all fall and again next spring. If you want something earlier, plant some oats starting in mid to late August.

There's no sense adding clover now, it won't grow much and they don't need the extra protein right now. You could frost seed clover in early spring/late winter next year, then it would be growing in the spring and summer.

How's the soil pH? Rye will tolerate acid soil much better than oats or clover.

Dale
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old July 22nd, 2012, 08:26 PM
vetter3006's Avatar
Grand Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location:
Broomall, Pennsylvania
(Delaware County)
Posts: 1,146
Rep Power: 2038
vetter3006 has a reputation beyond reputevetter3006 has a reputation beyond reputevetter3006 has a reputation beyond reputevetter3006 has a reputation beyond reputevetter3006 has a reputation beyond reputevetter3006 has a reputation beyond reputevetter3006 has a reputation beyond reputevetter3006 has a reputation beyond reputevetter3006 has a reputation beyond reputevetter3006 has a reputation beyond reputevetter3006 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP!!!Food plots what the #%$ uh duh!!!

I thought hunting over known food plots were illegal in PA according to the game commission?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old July 23rd, 2012, 10:24 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location:
Manheim, Pennsylvania
(Lancaster County)
Posts: 26
Rep Power: 0
toddclites has much to be proud oftoddclites has much to be proud oftoddclites has much to be proud oftoddclites has much to be proud oftoddclites has much to be proud oftoddclites has much to be proud oftoddclites has much to be proud oftoddclites has much to be proud oftoddclites has much to be proud of
Default Re: HELP!!!Food plots what the #%$ uh duh!!!

As for it being illegal I'll have to check it out! My brother in law works for a government agency that does soil testing. I gave him 7 samples from different areas of the proposed plot. I don't remember the Ph he told me but he told me the earth and top soil are perfect for growing just about anything. The field used to be a grazing area for a small dairy farm 50 yrs ago and nothing since. Small patches of alfalfa still grow there. Now I need the right mix of seed, I plan to plant and fence it off until there is sufficient growth so the deer do not eat it before it has a chance to mature. My game cameras are showing at least 5 nice 4-8 point crossing the field and a dozen doe but their only crossing to get to a massive soy bean/alfalfa field (thats tough competition). I want them to at least return to look for food during the season. Someone suggested beats as they become sweet after the frost. I will plant something in the spring unless the mix has something for that. It looks like this may turn out to be work for next season if I don't get it right and soon. Thank everyone and please keep the ideas coming. I reall appreciate every bit of it.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old July 23rd, 2012, 10:58 AM
R.W.J's Avatar
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location:
Washington, Pennsylvania
(Washington County)
Age: 49
Posts: 804
Rep Power: 89405
R.W.J has a reputation beyond reputeR.W.J has a reputation beyond reputeR.W.J has a reputation beyond reputeR.W.J has a reputation beyond reputeR.W.J has a reputation beyond reputeR.W.J has a reputation beyond reputeR.W.J has a reputation beyond reputeR.W.J has a reputation beyond reputeR.W.J has a reputation beyond reputeR.W.J has a reputation beyond reputeR.W.J has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP!!!Food plots what the #%$ uh duh!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetter3006 View Post
I thought hunting over known food plots were illegal in PA according to the game commission?
Not true at all, Food plots are legal to hunt over.
__________________
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old July 23rd, 2012, 02:48 PM
vetter3006's Avatar
Grand Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location:
Broomall, Pennsylvania
(Delaware County)
Posts: 1,146
Rep Power: 2038
vetter3006 has a reputation beyond reputevetter3006 has a reputation beyond reputevetter3006 has a reputation beyond reputevetter3006 has a reputation beyond reputevetter3006 has a reputation beyond reputevetter3006 has a reputation beyond reputevetter3006 has a reputation beyond reputevetter3006 has a reputation beyond reputevetter3006 has a reputation beyond reputevetter3006 has a reputation beyond reputevetter3006 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP!!!Food plots what the #%$ uh duh!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.W.J View Post
Not true at all, Food plots are legal to hunt over.
Here is the the section in the game law:
#8 says it all, I also took the bowhunting course and the WCO said the same it's illegal.

Sec. 2308. Unlawful devices and methods.
(a) General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to hunt or aid, abet, assist or conspire to hunt any game or wildlife through the use of:
(1) An automatic firearm or similar device.
(2) A semiautomatic rifle or pistol.
(3) Reserved.
(4) A semiautomatic shotgun or magazine shotgun for hunting or taking small game, furbearers, turkey or unprotected birds unless the shotgun is plugged to a two-shell capacity in the magazine.
(5) Any device operated by air, chemical or gas cylinder by which a projectile of any size or kind can be discharged or propelled.
(6) Any recorded call or sound or recorded or electronically amplified imitation of a call or sound of any description or any other call or sound or imitation of calls or sounds which are prohibited by regulations of the commission. The commission shall be authorized, by resolution, to adopt rules and regulations authorizing the limited use of recorded calls or sounds or recorded or electronically amplified imitation of calls or sounds when such use is necessary in the commission's judgment to protect the public health and safety or to preserve that species or any other endangered by it.
(7) A vehicle or conveyance of any kind or its attachment propelled by other than manpower. Nothing in this subsection shall pertain to any motorboat or sailboat if the motor has been completely shut off or sail furled, and the progress thereof has ceased.
(8) Any artificial or natural bait, hay, grain, fruit, nut, salt, chemical, mineral or other food as an enticement for game or wildlife, regardless of kind and quantity, or take advantage of any such area or food or bait prior to 30 days after the removal of such material and its residue.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old July 23rd, 2012, 03:07 PM
CL3's Avatar
CL3 CL3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location:
3C, Pennsylvania
Posts: 462
Rep Power: 18268
CL3 has a reputation beyond reputeCL3 has a reputation beyond reputeCL3 has a reputation beyond reputeCL3 has a reputation beyond reputeCL3 has a reputation beyond reputeCL3 has a reputation beyond reputeCL3 has a reputation beyond reputeCL3 has a reputation beyond reputeCL3 has a reputation beyond reputeCL3 has a reputation beyond reputeCL3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP!!!Food plots what the #%$ uh duh!!!

Here's food plot tips from the PGC's own biologists:

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=698455&mode=2

vetter3006: I think they want to deter baiting and the pour-a-bag-out-in-front-of-your-blind-or-stand guys & gals.

Last edited by CL3; July 23rd, 2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: It's clear in the regs.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old July 23rd, 2012, 03:35 PM
R.W.J's Avatar
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location:
Washington, Pennsylvania
(Washington County)
Age: 49
Posts: 804
Rep Power: 89405
R.W.J has a reputation beyond reputeR.W.J has a reputation beyond reputeR.W.J has a reputation beyond reputeR.W.J has a reputation beyond reputeR.W.J has a reputation beyond reputeR.W.J has a reputation beyond reputeR.W.J has a reputation beyond reputeR.W.J has a reputation beyond reputeR.W.J has a reputation beyond reputeR.W.J has a reputation beyond reputeR.W.J has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP!!!Food plots what the #%$ uh duh!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetter3006 View Post
Here is the the section in the game law:
#8 says it all, I also took the bowhunting course and the WCO said the same it's illegal.

Sec. 2308. Unlawful devices and methods.
(a) General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to hunt or aid, abet, assist or conspire to hunt any game or wildlife through the use of:
(1) An automatic firearm or similar device.
(2) A semiautomatic rifle or pistol.
(3) Reserved.
(4) A semiautomatic shotgun or magazine shotgun for hunting or taking small game, furbearers, turkey or unprotected birds unless the shotgun is plugged to a two-shell capacity in the magazine.
(5) Any device operated by air, chemical or gas cylinder by which a projectile of any size or kind can be discharged or propelled.
(6) Any recorded call or sound or recorded or electronically amplified imitation of a call or sound of any description or any other call or sound or imitation of calls or sounds which are prohibited by regulations of the commission. The commission shall be authorized, by resolution, to adopt rules and regulations authorizing the limited use of recorded calls or sounds or recorded or electronically amplified imitation of calls or sounds when such use is necessary in the commission's judgment to protect the public health and safety or to preserve that species or any other endangered by it.
(7) A vehicle or conveyance of any kind or its attachment propelled by other than manpower. Nothing in this subsection shall pertain to any motorboat or sailboat if the motor has been completely shut off or sail furled, and the progress thereof has ceased.
(8) Any artificial or natural bait, hay, grain, fruit, nut, salt, chemical, mineral or other food as an enticement for game or wildlife, regardless of kind and quantity, or take advantage of any such area or food or bait prior to 30 days after the removal of such material and its residue.

See it does no good unless you post the whole thing, you cant just stop where you see fit.

here is what you left out from 2308.a.8


Nothing contained in this subsection shall pertain to normal or accepted farming, habitat management practices, oil and gas drilling, mining, forest management activities or other legitimate commercial or industrial practices. Upon discovery of such baited areas, whether prosecution is contemplated or not, the commission may cause a reasonable area surrounding the enticement to be posted against hunting or taking game or wildlife. The posters shall remain for 30 days after complete removal of the bait.

Food plots are considered habitat management practices. Rule of thumb is if it has roots and is growing its ok. You cant just place bushels of food on the ground or minerals then hunt over it.
__________________
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old July 23rd, 2012, 03:41 PM
A-5's Avatar
A-5 A-5 is offline
Grand Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location:
lehigh valley, Pennsylvania
(Lehigh County)
Posts: 1,201
Rep Power: 50144
A-5 has a reputation beyond reputeA-5 has a reputation beyond reputeA-5 has a reputation beyond reputeA-5 has a reputation beyond reputeA-5 has a reputation beyond reputeA-5 has a reputation beyond reputeA-5 has a reputation beyond reputeA-5 has a reputation beyond reputeA-5 has a reputation beyond reputeA-5 has a reputation beyond reputeA-5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP!!!Food plots what the #%$ uh duh!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.W.J View Post
See it does no good unless you post the whole thing, you cant just stop where you see fit.

here is what you left out from 2308.a.8


Nothing contained in this subsection shall pertain to normal or accepted farming, habitat management practices, oil and gas drilling, mining, forest management activities or other legitimate commercial or industrial practices. Upon discovery of such baited areas, whether prosecution is contemplated or not, the commission may cause a reasonable area surrounding the enticement to be posted against hunting or taking game or wildlife. The posters shall remain for 30 days after complete removal of the bait.

Food plots are considered habitat management practices. Rule of thumb is if it has roots and is growing its ok. You cant just place bushels of food on the ground or minerals then hunt over it.
And that's why he is our favorite ......... You know.
__________________
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Food just got a whole lot better!!! RaisedByWolves General 8 December 31st, 2008 10:43 PM
Food on TV Atomic Dog General 40 January 24th, 2008 12:28 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.2.0 ©2008, Crawlability, Inc.
Marketing Services provided by MergeMedia.
Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops