Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB2011 and HB1243 Updates

So far, there hasn't been a 2nd Consideration vote on either of these bills. WE NEED TO KEEP UP THE PRESSURE, and continue to contact our legislators - ask them to tell House leadership to bring these bills to a vote! Ask them to vote YES on HB2011, and NO on the Universal Background Check amendment. In addition, the FOAC is requesting support for an amendment proposed to HB1243 (Mental Health Records for Firearms Purchases) that, if passed, will allow HB1243 to restore firearm rights to those who have recovered from a mental illness.

For more information and updates on these efforts,
CLICK HERE

For legislator contact information,
CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Hunting

Notices

Hunting Love hunting? Share hunting information here with fellow hunters.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old May 15th, 2012
Banned

(York County)
stud40111 has a reputation beyond reputestud40111 has a reputation beyond reputestud40111 has a reputation beyond reputestud40111 has a reputation beyond reputestud40111 has a reputation beyond reputestud40111 has a reputation beyond reputestud40111 has a reputation beyond reputestud40111 has a reputation beyond reputestud40111 has a reputation beyond reputestud40111 has a reputation beyond reputestud40111 has a reputation beyond repute
Default .223 legal for deer in PA?

Hi everyone.

I am new to hunting so I am wondering,

Is it legal to hunt deer in PA with .223?

For some reason, I always thought that this wasn't legal in PA but now I've heard otherwise.

Anyone here know?

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old May 15th, 2012
Grand Member

(Monroe County)
rovert97 has a reputation beyond reputerovert97 has a reputation beyond reputerovert97 has a reputation beyond reputerovert97 has a reputation beyond reputerovert97 has a reputation beyond reputerovert97 has a reputation beyond reputerovert97 has a reputation beyond reputerovert97 has a reputation beyond reputerovert97 has a reputation beyond reputerovert97 has a reputation beyond reputerovert97 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to rovert97 Send a message via MSN to rovert97
Default Re: .223 legal for deer in PA?

Yes it is LEGAL. But remember the linking factors with taking a deer with a .223
Use the right kind of ammo. The Barnes TSX all copper bullet is amazing on deer and is the best round IMHO for deer in a smaller caliber.
Distance. I wouldn't take a shot at more than 200 yards at a deer normally, and more than likely no more. Than 150 yards with a .223 on a deer.
Placement is everything. Put the bullet right where it has to go and the deer will go down. Hit the vitals properly.

Follow the three basics and a .223 will take a PA deer easily
Old May 15th, 2012

(Westmoreland County)
hornady has a reputation beyond reputehornady has a reputation beyond reputehornady has a reputation beyond reputehornady has a reputation beyond reputehornady has a reputation beyond reputehornady has a reputation beyond reputehornady has a reputation beyond reputehornady has a reputation beyond reputehornady has a reputation beyond reputehornady has a reputation beyond reputehornady has a reputation beyond repute

You are correct at one time the 223 were not legal to hunt Deer in pa, the wording has been changed to include all center fire ammo for Deer Hunting in the hunting digest. There is a requirement for 270 and above for elk. It would not surprise me too see a caliber diameter added once again for Deer, I can see some one hunting with one of the new 17 caliber’s. The 17 or 223 will both take a deer, just not the best choice, old wording 25 or above for Deer hunting.

Last edited by hornady; May 15th, 2012 at 06:36 AM. Reason: added text
Old May 15th, 2012
Grand Member

(Lancaster County)
Yellowfin has a reputation beyond reputeYellowfin has a reputation beyond reputeYellowfin has a reputation beyond reputeYellowfin has a reputation beyond reputeYellowfin has a reputation beyond reputeYellowfin has a reputation beyond reputeYellowfin has a reputation beyond reputeYellowfin has a reputation beyond reputeYellowfin has a reputation beyond reputeYellowfin has a reputation beyond reputeYellowfin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Yellowfin Send a message via Yahoo to Yellowfin

Kinda pointless without the iconic rifle that's an inseparable part of its identity.

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent
Old May 15th, 2012

CL3 has a reputation beyond reputeCL3 has a reputation beyond reputeCL3 has a reputation beyond reputeCL3 has a reputation beyond reputeCL3 has a reputation beyond reputeCL3 has a reputation beyond reputeCL3 has a reputation beyond reputeCL3 has a reputation beyond reputeCL3 has a reputation beyond reputeCL3 has a reputation beyond reputeCL3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stud40111 View Post
Hi everyone.

I am new to hunting so I am wondering,

Is it legal to hunt deer in PA with .223?

For some reason, I always thought that this wasn't legal in PA but now I've heard otherwise.

Anyone here know?
Can I ask what gun you plan to shoot? From the Big Game Regulations in the Hunting Digest:

Lawful Arms & Ammunition:
Deer and Bear: Regular Seasons - 1) Manually operated (pump,
lever, bolt actions, single-shot) centerfire rifles, shotguns and handguns
(revolvers or single-shots) with all lead bullet or ball, or bullet
designed to expand on impact;
2) muzzleloading long guns of any
type, 44 caliber or larger, or a muzzleloading handgun 50 caliber or
larger; and 3) long, recurve, compound bows or crossbows with
broadheads of cutting edge design. The use of buckshot is not
legal, except in the Southeast Special Regulations Area.

No semi-autos.

Here's a link to the Hunting & Trapping Regs you get when you buy a hunting license:

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=968783&mode=2
Old May 15th, 2012
Grand Member

(Somerset County)
dk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond reputedk99358 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornady View Post
old wording 25 or above for Deer hunting.
That was for RIMFIRE ammo and I think it was larger than 25 caliber.

Anyhow, it's a moot point. Other good factory 223 ammo would be the Winchester 64 grain powerpoint or anything with a Nosler partition.

Certainly not an ideal choice but it will work.

Dale
Old May 15th, 2012

(York County)
TheDeltaForce has a reputation beyond reputeTheDeltaForce has a reputation beyond reputeTheDeltaForce has a reputation beyond reputeTheDeltaForce has a reputation beyond reputeTheDeltaForce has a reputation beyond reputeTheDeltaForce has a reputation beyond reputeTheDeltaForce has a reputation beyond reputeTheDeltaForce has a reputation beyond reputeTheDeltaForce has a reputation beyond reputeTheDeltaForce has a reputation beyond reputeTheDeltaForce has a reputation beyond repute

There is only (1) .223 caliber rifle that I would consider taking a deer with......a highly accurate and properly sighted rifle.

My choice from some sort of tree stand rest, the Tikka T3 Sporter.

Put the round where it belongs and the deer will drop humanely.

- The Delta Force
Old May 15th, 2012
Grand Member

(Lebanon County)
mauser has a reputation beyond reputemauser has a reputation beyond reputemauser has a reputation beyond reputemauser has a reputation beyond reputemauser has a reputation beyond reputemauser has a reputation beyond reputemauser has a reputation beyond reputemauser has a reputation beyond reputemauser has a reputation beyond reputemauser has a reputation beyond reputemauser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornady View Post
You are correct at one time the 223 were not legal to hunt Deer in pa, the wording has been changed to include all center fire ammo for Deer Hunting in the hunting digest. There is a requirement for 270 and above for elk. It would not surprise me too see a caliber diameter added once again for Deer, I can see some one hunting with one of the new 17 caliber’s. The 17 or 223 will both take a deer, just not the best choice, old wording 25 or above for Deer hunting.
Not being a smartass here but could you verify that?
When was this restriction in place and when was it lifted?

I ask because the .223 Remington was designed in 1964 (to the best of my knowledge) and I know my uncle and several others who hunted deer before that with .222 Remington as well as .22 Hornet and .218 Bee. (I'll add that they were seasoned veterans of hunting all sorts of game), these were not their primary cartridges but depending on where they were going to hunt they would sometimes take the smaller cartridges to suit the situation.

ETA:
I re-read your post and noticed that you also mentioned "old wording 25 or above for Deer hunting".
I know for a fact that my dad has been hunting deer with .243 since 1957.

No question about the .270 for elk.

There are three kinds of people in the world:
Those who make things happen;
Those who watch things happen;
Those who wonder what happened.

Last edited by mauser; May 15th, 2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old May 15th, 2012
Grand Member

EandGWZ has a reputation beyond reputeEandGWZ has a reputation beyond reputeEandGWZ has a reputation beyond reputeEandGWZ has a reputation beyond reputeEandGWZ has a reputation beyond reputeEandGWZ has a reputation beyond reputeEandGWZ has a reputation beyond reputeEandGWZ has a reputation beyond reputeEandGWZ has a reputation beyond reputeEandGWZ has a reputation beyond reputeEandGWZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL3 View Post
Can I ask what gun you plan to shoot? From the Big Game Regulations in the Hunting Digest:

No semi-autos.
Not planning on hunting but would a gas pistol semi-automatic dialed down to 0 (not self loading) be legal, just curious.
Old May 15th, 2012

(Bucks County)
Manxdriver has a reputation beyond reputeManxdriver has a reputation beyond reputeManxdriver has a reputation beyond reputeManxdriver has a reputation beyond reputeManxdriver has a reputation beyond reputeManxdriver has a reputation beyond reputeManxdriver has a reputation beyond reputeManxdriver has a reputation beyond reputeManxdriver has a reputation beyond reputeManxdriver has a reputation beyond reputeManxdriver has a reputation beyond repute

no, it's still an auto-loader even if disabled. Unless it is permanently disabled, but why would you do that?