Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Is the 357 magnum permitted for big game in PA???

So in other words he cant have a .357 in conjunction with his deer rifle... Now would he need a sportsman's permit or would a LTCF be ok Even though open carry should be ok without?
    ΑΣΦ

(Somerset County)

Kennet Square is Chester County, that's the special regs area and handgun hunting ain't legal there.

Ballistically, it doesn't make any sense but that's the rules.

Dale

(Northumberland County)

Yes a .357 can be used, my late father did get a 6 point buck years back with his now my Ruger Blackhawk. It has a 6 inch barrel and from what he told me after he shot the buck don't try for anything more than 30 yards away. He was a superb shooter with that blackhawk I am on the ok side.
    Yes 20 yards, I know that alot of us have had buck or doe come within feet so yes it can be done. As far as the rounds used, he and i use 158 grain HP.
    I carry both my 3030 or 300 and the 357 till I get tired of taking my rifle for a walk.
    Last edited by originalsocko; November 30th, 2011 at 10:42 AM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    Kennet Square is Chester County, that's the special regs area and handgun hunting ain't legal there.

Ballistically, it doesn't make any sense but that's the rules.

Dale
    Correct

But being special regs you ARE allowed to use 00 buck.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bug44 View Post
    So in other words he cant have a .357 in conjunction with his deer rifle... Now would he need a sportsman's permit or would a LTCF be ok Even though open carry should be ok without?
    Need either a sportsmans permit or a LTCF.With a LTCF you can also carry a handgun during archery or spotlighting .Sportsmans permit the handgun is treated like a long arm,can not be carried loaded in vehicle,can not be carried during archery or when spot lighting.Hunting regulation book Pg 16,right column 1/2 way down has the rules on handguns for those who want to check for themselves.

(Jefferson County)

No LTCF or SP is needed to openly carry a handgun during most seasons so long as you walk to your hunting spot. However, during archery, muzzleloader, and spotlighting you do need a LTCF to have a handgun with you.

A LTCF or SP is only needed if you conceal the handgun or transport it in a vehicle. The SP is only good to/from/during sporting activities like hunting, fishing, trapping, and dog training - it isn't valid though during archery, muzzleloader, or spotlighting.

If you hunt in one of the special regulation areas you probably cannot use the handgun for hunting. If you're hunting in Philly you would need a LTCF or SP to carry openly or concealed while hunting.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    No LTCF or SP is needed to openly carry a handgun during most seasons so long as you walk to your hunting spot. However, during archery, muzzleloader, and spotlighting you do need a LTCF to have a handgun with you.

A LTCF or SP is only needed if you conceal the handgun or transport it in a vehicle. The SP is only good to/from/during sporting activities like hunting, fishing, trapping, and dog training - it isn't valid though during archery, muzzleloader, or spotlighting.

May want to call the game commision to verify because the regualtions shown in book say to carry while hunting INCLUDING archery,muzzleloader and spot lighting.I dont wanna see anyone get into trouble.Ofcourse if knight0334 is a game warden then i guess the PGC has spoken

(Armstrong County)

what states it's not allowed in?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12