Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: Hunting Regulations?

whats the circumstantial evidence of poaching? and sharpshooter88, ur sig thingie is way cool.

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by TrailKeeper12 View Post
    Alright, so I came across what I believe to be circumstantial evidence of poaching, but is at the very least evidence of irresponsible firearm use at a local park. Having contacted the park officials and my local police, no one seems to be able to give me a straight answer as to whether or not this hunting activity is legal. The members here seem to be very knowledgeable and responsible gun owners, so I thought I'd ask you guys.

So, my question is: (In New Britain Township) Are there any statutes, ordinances, or laws governing the required distance from homes, roads, parks, or places of gathering to discharge a firearm for otherwise legal hunting purposes? If so, what is that required distance?

Thanks in advance for any help/information you can provide.
    Ok as i see this question,

safe distances: there are a few aspects to it, was a gun used or a bow?

Legality: was this public land or privet land?

Township: If a firearm was used or not?

Is this a community that has restriction?.

your question was vague at best. without further details it is hard to determine any (IF), legalities were broken. it is hard to say if it was legal in our opinion or not without further information. please provide some simple explanations to my questions and we would all be more best to offer anything else.
    Last edited by Shadow Heart; March 22nd, 2011 at 06:54 PM.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    I’m not aware of any game law that prevents discharging a firearm near a road. You cannot shoot across a road unless the trajectory is safe (high enough). You need to be 25yds from a vehicle.

150yds from any occupied house, or outbuilding, commercial building, school playground etc, without permission. This includes into the safety zone as well.

Other than that it’s up to local ordinances where they don’t conflict with state law

Your ordinances are here:
    http://www.newbritaintownship.org/ordinances.html
    I only looked briefly, but nothing jumped out.

If you suspect poaching contact the PGC they’ll be happy to investigate.

If no one is poaching, and a safe backstop is being used I see no issue.
    If you’re a former city dweller or just don’t like it…..deal with it. Be happy you live in a state where you can enjoy firearms.
    Bolded highlights mine, it's not 25 yards from a vehicle, it's 25 yards from the road but you are sort of right as it only applies if you have exited a vehicle and is because of road hunting, not safety.

Again, local ordinances can not regulate the discharge of a firearm during legal hunting activities, except on borough land, these apply to target shooting.
    Last edited by jerkin; March 22nd, 2011 at 07:06 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Safety Zones: It is unlawful to hunt for, shoot at, trap, take, chase or disturb wildlife within 150 yards of any occupied residence, camp, industrial or commercial building, farm house or farm building, or school or playground without the permission of the occupants. It is unlawful to shoot into a safety zone, even if you are outside of the zone. Driving game, even without a firearm or bow, within a safety zone without permission is unlawful. For comparison, think of a safety zone as about one and a half football fields. Hunting on hospital and institutional grounds, and in cemeteries, is also prohibited. It is unlawful to discharge a firearm within 150 yards of a Game Commission vehicle whose occupants are releasing pheasants. The safety zone for archery hunters statewide, including those using crossbows, is 50 yards. Archery hunters carrying muzzleloaders during any muzzleloader season must abide by the 150 yard safety zone regulation. Around playgrounds, schools, nursery schools or day care centers, the safety zone remains 150 yards.
    Road Hunting: It is unlawful to 1)hunt from a vehicle; 2) shoot at wildlife on a public road or right of way open to public travel; 3) shoot across a road unless the line of fire is high enough to preclude any danger to road users; and 4) alight from a vehicle and shoot at any wildlife until the shooter is at least 25 yards from the traveled portion of the roadway. NOTE: These provisions do not prevent an individual, who may not qualify for a Disabled Person's permit, but who has health concerns or problems to sit in or neat a legally "parked" vehicle and watch for game. Loaded firearms may never be placed in, on or against any motor vehicle at any time.
    edit: To report a violation, turn in a poacher.. Call 1-888-PGC-8001 And give them as much information as possible about the incident. Website is www.pgc.state.pa.us and click on Turn in a Poacher

Some of the info they are looking for. Nature of Violation, Date, Time, Location, Suspect's Name, Weight, height, hair, eyes, Vehicle license number, year, make, colour, Distinguishing features, wildlife involved, evidence, type of firearm, Your contact info if you wish to leave it and any other info that might help them.

Copied out of the Pennsylvania Hunting and Trapping Digest dated July 1, 2010 - June 30, 2011 which I got yesterday at the first day of Hunting/Trapping Education.
    Last edited by Pkspawn; March 22nd, 2011 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Add poaching info

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    I’m not aware of any game law that prevents discharging a firearm near a road. You cannot shoot across a road unless the trajectory is safe (high enough). You need to be 25yds from a vehicle.

150yds from any occupied house, or outbuilding, commercial building, school playground etc, without permission. This includes into the safety zone as well.

Other than that it’s up to local ordinances where they don’t conflict with state law

Your ordinances are here:
    http://www.newbritaintownship.org/ordinances.html
    I only looked briefly, but nothing jumped out.

If you suspect poaching contact the PGC they’ll be happy to investigate.

If no one is poaching, and a safe backstop is being used I see no issue.
    If you’re a former city dweller or just don’t like it…..deal with it. Be happy you live in a state where you can enjoy firearms.
    I'm not a city dweller and I don't think anyone likes being shot at...

You're saying you wouldn't mind walking through a densely wooded area while people are shooting in your direction from less than 10 meters away?

Also, what do you mean by "safe backstop"?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Heart View Post
    Ok as i see this question,

safe distances: there are a few aspects to it, was a gun used or a bow?

Legality: was this public land or privet land?

Township: If a firearm was used or not?

Is this a community that has restriction?.

your question was vague at best. without further details it is hard to determine any (IF), legalities were broken. it is hard to say if it was legal in our opinion or not without further information. please provide some simple explanations to my questions and we would all be more best to offer anything else.
    Actually, I think my question was quite specific and I got my answer. I didn't ask if it was legal or not, I quite frankly don't care if the law forbids what they are doing, it's just plain wrong and dangerous. I was hoping that the law (specifically one about proper discharge distances) would back up my case. Unfortunately it seems that it does not.

I wish I could provide more information and had more direct evidence, but I can't prove that any laws were broken as of this point. I intend to conduct surveillance and determine the best course of action moving forward.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by yukon375 View Post
    whats the circumstantial evidence of poaching? and sharpshooter88, ur sig thingie is way cool.
    The erection of tree stands facing into a protected wildlife area less than 5 ft from the border of the wildlife area, after the end of deer season, and spent shotguns shells beneath the tree stands.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailKeeper12 View Post
    The erection of tree stands facing into a protected wildlife area less than 5 ft from the border of the wildlife area, after the end of deer season, and spent shotguns shells beneath the tree stands.
    Poaching to me is more hunting at night or out of season. what you have described to me would fall under the area of tresspassing/ hunting on protected area's such as a safty zone.

Do you hike on the old rail beds that have been converted for hiking? I have seen signs posted on those trails warning of hunting in the area.
    Just my 2 cents!

Disclaimer------>>>>>IANAGCO
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Berks County)

The information you seek was not that hard to find. It took me two to three minutes. Click the following link.

http://www.newbritaintownship.org/parks.html

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on

"Rules & Regulations For Parks And Playgrounds"

Scroll down to #9b.

Oh, and 9a is in violation of Pennsylvania law. A township cannot regulate the carrying of firearms in Pennsylvania. You might mention that if you contact your township's officials.

http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...nd-ammunition/
    Last edited by bronco; March 23rd, 2011 at 07:36 AM.

(Lawrence County)

From what I gather I don't believe that these guys are hunting in the park as the OP said he contacted the park officials and they couldn't do anything for him. I think they must have their tree stands set up right outside of the park boundaries. If this is the case the only violation I could possibly see would be if they were shooting into park property, that may constitute hunting in the park but without seeing it happen I don't think you could prove it.

Bronco, good catch on the preemption violation, repped.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast