Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Action alert on HB2011 regarding Pre-Emption

Rep Mike Turzai has committed to move HB 2011. This bill strengthens pre-emption by providing for standing and compensation of expenses in the event a local law needs to be challenged that conflicts with State gun laws. Corbett said he will sign if it is put on his desk in the remaining 11 days left to the legislative session.

For more information and updates on these efforts, and to get involved, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Hunting

Notices

Hunting Love hunting? Share hunting information here with fellow hunters.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old December 4th, 2007, 10:05 AM

(Berks County)
dogngun has a reputation beyond reputedogngun has a reputation beyond reputedogngun has a reputation beyond reputedogngun has a reputation beyond reputedogngun has a reputation beyond reputedogngun has a reputation beyond reputedogngun has a reputation beyond reputedogngun has a reputation beyond reputedogngun has a reputation beyond reputedogngun has a reputation beyond reputedogngun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Opinions wanted: Is the .410 any use for hunting small game?

I saw a .410 single barrel for sale, and I'm wondering if it would be of any use in the field, for squirrels, rabbits etc. thanks.

mark

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old December 4th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

(Jefferson County)
knight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to knight0334 Send a message via AIM to knight0334 Send a message via MSN to knight0334 Send a message via Yahoo to knight0334
Default Re: Opinions wanted: Is the .410 any use for hunting small game?

It works plenty fine.

Hell, we used to use Daisy BB guns on rabbits, squirrels and quail in Florida - one shot, one kill. And many upon many small critters have been taken with the 410. The 410 was my favorite for perched(was legal at the time, not sure now) dove when I lived down there.. it didn't blow apart the birds with a massive load of pellets.

It only takes a few pellets to do the job, pellet count being the only difference between the 410 and 12ga.. Just that the 12ga puts more lead out the barrel to cover a bigger area or have higher density within a given area. Both loads leave the barrel at the same velocity, thus individually a pellet from a 12ga has the same energy of a 410. (8) #6 sized pellets shot from a 12ga has the same energy as (8) #6 pellets from a 410 at the same given ranges and will have the same effect on a rabbit.

Keep your shots closer than you would with a 20 or 12ga so as to have a better chance at having a higher density of pellets on your intended pray.
Old December 4th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Grand Member

(Sullivan County)
Hokkmike has a reputation beyond reputeHokkmike has a reputation beyond reputeHokkmike has a reputation beyond reputeHokkmike has a reputation beyond reputeHokkmike has a reputation beyond reputeHokkmike has a reputation beyond reputeHokkmike has a reputation beyond reputeHokkmike has a reputation beyond reputeHokkmike has a reputation beyond reputeHokkmike has a reputation beyond reputeHokkmike has a reputation beyond repute

I think it will work fine. It will a bit more of a challenge however.
Old December 4th, 2007, 10:35 AM

(Lancaster County)
Punisher has a reputation beyond reputePunisher has a reputation beyond reputePunisher has a reputation beyond reputePunisher has a reputation beyond reputePunisher has a reputation beyond reputePunisher has a reputation beyond reputePunisher has a reputation beyond reputePunisher has a reputation beyond reputePunisher has a reputation beyond reputePunisher has a reputation beyond reputePunisher has a reputation beyond repute

ask the chazman.............. lol........
Old December 4th, 2007, 12:14 PM

(Westmoreland County)
mjd932 will become famous soon enough

My first gun was a single shot .410 (NEF Pardner from Wal-Mart ~$80) and many a squirrel fell to it. I even used it to dispatch ground hogs at times. You'll be fine.
Old December 4th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Grand Member

(Centre County)
Xringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond repute

410's are a blast to shoot and hunt with, you'll have lots of fun. Talk to trap and skeet shooters, you want to improve try a smaller shotgun, look at the people that shoot with a 28 ga. Frenchy may chime in on this also.
Old December 4th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Grand Member

(Bedford County)
BUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond reputeBUCKMARK has a reputation beyond repute

I shoot the 28 gauge a lot, but I own a few .410's and they are also fun.

Great for most small game, as well as small upland birds and doves.
Old December 5th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Grand Member

(Lawrence County)
Chazman321 has a reputation beyond reputeChazman321 has a reputation beyond reputeChazman321 has a reputation beyond reputeChazman321 has a reputation beyond reputeChazman321 has a reputation beyond reputeChazman321 has a reputation beyond reputeChazman321 has a reputation beyond reputeChazman321 has a reputation beyond reputeChazman321 has a reputation beyond reputeChazman321 has a reputation beyond reputeChazman321 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Chazman321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
ask the chazman.............. lol........
It's a great load. You won't be disappointed with it... It's the only gun I use for bushytails... It will even run the Texas Star... lol

ChazPINGman321
Old December 5th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Grand Member

ar15jules has a reputation beyond reputear15jules has a reputation beyond reputear15jules has a reputation beyond reputear15jules has a reputation beyond reputear15jules has a reputation beyond reputear15jules has a reputation beyond reputear15jules has a reputation beyond reputear15jules has a reputation beyond reputear15jules has a reputation beyond reputear15jules has a reputation beyond reputear15jules has a reputation beyond repute

Great small game gauge.
Jules
Old December 5th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Grand Member
PAFOA Gold Supporter

(Pike County)
gf45acp has a reputation beyond reputegf45acp has a reputation beyond reputegf45acp has a reputation beyond reputegf45acp has a reputation beyond reputegf45acp has a reputation beyond reputegf45acp has a reputation beyond reputegf45acp has a reputation beyond reputegf45acp has a reputation beyond reputegf45acp has a reputation beyond reputegf45acp has a reputation beyond reputegf45acp has a reputation beyond repute

I have a .410 side by side, and many pests have met their end by it, up to and including racoons.