Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Can each county set it's own hunting rules, and a bunch of other questions.

I was having a conversation with my brother's father-in-law over thanksgiving about the usual, guns, gun law, knife laws, and hunting. For the most part I've got him set straight but he's still off on a few things.
    Him: "Those Glocks are all plastic, only the barrel is metal."
    Me: "No, only the lower receiver is plastic. A plastic slide wouldn't have enough mass to compensate for the recoil."
    Him: "Yea maybe on the old ones, but the new ones are all plastic."
    *mental facepalm*

Anyway we got into the discussion of hunting, which I'm completely new to, and he said he was going deer hunting the day after thanksgiving with a rifled shotgun, but if he drove to another county he could use a rifle. He also said I'd need a rifled barrel for my shotgun if I wanted to hunt in the area. So I asked him if each county can make it's own hunting rules like that, and he said yes. He then said I'd have to use a standard shotgun stock because the stock and pistol grip configuration was also illegal to hunt with. Does the PGC have a preemption law, or are there laws specific to each county regarding hunting?

It was my understanding that you could hunt with a tacticool Saiga 12 if you wanted to, though I'm aware you can't hunt with semi auto rifles. I'd like to get my license and tag along with him next year so I have a list of newbie questions. I'm primarily interested in hunting deer and to a lesser degree coyote, I wouldn't mind hunting bear either if I knew the mystery of how to lug something that heavy out of the woods without an ATV. So let's start with that...

How do you transport a bear!?

Are there restrictions on the length of a shotgun barrel other than 18"+?

Does it matter if a shotgun barrel is rifled or smooth?

For shotguns or rifles, are pistol grips, collapsing stocks, lasers, or any other such modifications restricted for hunting?

What does "WMUs 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 2F, 3A, 3B, " etc. mean? That's a short example from deer hunting but I'm clueless about any of those codes.

If I purchased a flintlock muzzle loader, break action for easy cleaning, would that allow me to hunt during both muzzle loading and flintlock seasons, or would I require a non-flintlock for muzzle loading season?

As a followup to the above, is it legal to use a Mossberg 500 muzzle loader barrel or some other multi-barrel gun during muzzle loading season so long as you don't take the shotgun or rifle barrels with you? I'm aware of the problems with turning semi autos into bolt actions so I was curious if cross platform guns were frowned upon.

I know you can only use hollow points for rifles, and I would assume the same is true for muzzle loaders, but are there any restrictions on shotgun ammo or arrowhead types?

Assuming I had every possible device to hunt with (bow, rifle, shotgun, flintlock, RPG, rubber mallet) what's the maximum number of deer I could possibly take in all the seasons for a year?

*EDIT*
    ...and I'm interested in hunting turkey if that changes any answers. How could I have forgotten that one.
    Last edited by MuzzleFlash; November 27th, 2010 at 09:21 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Can each county set it's own hunting rules, and a bunch of other questions.

Quote Originally Posted by MuzzleFlash View Post
    I was having a conversation with my brother's father-in-law over thanksgiving about the usual, guns, gun law, knife laws, and hunting. For the most part I've got him set straight but he's still off on a few things.
    Him: "Those Glocks are all plastic, only the barrel is metal."
    Me: "No, only the lower receiver is plastic. A plastic slide wouldn't have enough mass to compensate for the recoil."
    Him: "Yea maybe on the old ones, but the new ones are all plastic."
    *mental facepalm*

Anyway we got into the discussion of hunting, which I'm completely new to, and he said he was going deer hunting the day after thanksgiving with a rifled shotgun, but if he drove to another county he could use a rifle. He also said I'd need a rifled barrel for my shotgun if I wanted to hunt in the area. So I asked him if each county can make it's own hunting rules like that, and he said yes. He then said I'd have to use a standard shotgun stock because the stock and pistol grip configuration was also illegal to hunt with. Does the PGC have a preemption law, or are there laws specific to each county regarding hunting?

It was my understanding that you could hunt with a tacticool Saiga 12 if you wanted to, though I'm aware you can't hunt with semi auto rifles. I'd like to get my license and tag along with him next year so I have a list of newbie questions. I'm primarily interested in hunting deer and to a lesser degree coyote, I wouldn't mind hunting bear either if I knew the mystery of how to lug something that heavy out of the woods without an ATV. So let's start with that... Only for small game/birds - and it has to be plugged to 3rnds (2+1). Deer shotguns must be manually operated, with I think an exception to areas that allow buckshot

How do you transport a bear!? However you can. I've seen them on hoods of cars, in beds of trucks, and in a wagon towed by a tractor.

Are there restrictions on the length of a shotgun barrel other than 18"+? No. If you have your NFA stamp, you can use smoothbore pistols(AOW) and SBS's to hunt with

Does it matter if a shotgun barrel is rifled or smooth? Only if you are shooting sabot slugs. Rifling will spread shot, but it will also improve groups of "rifled slugs"(with leading of course)

For shotguns or rifles, are pistol grips, collapsing stocks, lasers, or any other such modifications restricted for hunting? lasers are illegal to hunt with

What does "WMUs 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 2F, 3A, 3B, " etc. mean? That's a short example from deer hunting but I'm clueless about any of those codes. Those are Wildlife Management Units see link -> http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=619923&mode=2

If I purchased a flintlock muzzle loader, break action for easy cleaning, would that allow me to hunt during both muzzle loading and flintlock seasons, or would I require a non-flintlock for muzzle loading season? There are no breakaction flintlocks that I know of, but if there was - you could use it during flinktlock and early muzzleloader season(and normal "rifle" season).

As a followup to the above, is it legal to use a Mossberg 500 muzzle loader barrel or some other multi-barrel gun during muzzle loading season so long as you don't take the shotgun or rifle barrels with you? I'm aware of the problems with turning semi autos into bolt actions so I was curious if cross platform guns were frowned upon. It is legal to use a Mossy 500 muzzleloader barrel during early and rifle seasons

I know you can only use hollow points for rifles, and I would assume the same is true for muzzle loaders, but are there any restrictions on shotgun ammo or arrowhead types? No buckshot, except for certain WMU's/counties. Arrow heads have to be of certain dimensions to be legal(cant remember specs). Bullets dont have to be "hollowpoint", but they do have to be all lead or designed to expand upon impact.

Assuming I had every possible device to hunt with (bow, rifle, shotgun, flintlock, RPG, rubber mallet) what's the maximum number of deer I could possibly take in all the seasons for a year? 1 buck, unless you get antlerless tags. Bucks have to have so many points on its antlers depending on WMU.

*EDIT*
    ...and I'm interested in hunting turkey if that changes any answers. How could I have forgotten that one.
    See replies in red above. The Hunter Safety Course would have answered most of these questions, and before you can hunt you need to take that class unless you've taken it in another state, or have had a hunting license before.
    Last edited by knight0334; November 27th, 2010 at 10:34 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Can each county set it's own hunting rules, and a bunch of other questions.

The answer to your question is, no. Only the PGC can set the rules and regs for hunting, what can be used, what can be hunted, etc.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    See replies in red above. The Hunter Safety Course would have answered most of these questions, and before you can hunt you need to take that class unless you've taken it in another state, or have had a hunting license before.
    Maybe you can interpret something for me.
    My friend says to go buck hunting with a shotgun, it has to be plugged. I read the hunters manual and all I can find is that a plug is required when hunting migratory birds. Am I just not understanding something?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    The answer to your question is, no. Only the PGC can set the rules and regs for hunting, what can be used, what can be hunted, etc.
    Why would the PGC mandate shotgun only hunting in Allegheny County?

Zombie Response Team SECTOR 4 Ground assault unit
    "Nothing defuses people like crazy." ~ Lycanthrope

(Lehigh County)

Rep is flowing to the knight man. Explained very well, what guys can do in response is mind boggling to me I am lucky to get a picture and some words on a screen.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by pirateron View Post
    Maybe you can interpret something for me.
    My friend says to go buck hunting with a shotgun, it has to be plugged. I read the hunters manual and all I can find is that a plug is required when hunting migratory birds. Am I just not understanding something?

Migratory bird and small game it has to be plugged to 3 rounds. Large game it doesn't. Rifles have no capacity limits during general deer season, so why would shotguns?

General Statewide Seasons: 1) Manually operated centerfire rifles,
    handguns and shotguns with all lead bullet or ball, or a bullet
    designed to expand on impact; 2) muzzleloading long guns of any
    type, 44 caliber or larger, or a muzzleloading handgun 50 caliber or
    larger; and 3) long, recurve or compound and crossbows with
    broadheads of cutting-edge design. Buckshot is illegal, except in
    Southeast Special Regulations Area.

Why would the PGC mandate shotgun only hunting in Allegheny County?
    Probably because of the density of the population and housing of the county.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Bucks County)

Please read the pa game laws.

Please check for yourself. find out for yourself.

go here - http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/portal/se...unity/pgc/9106

(Allegheny County)

There are no breakaction flintlocks that I know of, but if there was - you could use it during flinktlock and early muzzleloader season(and normal "rifle" season).
    Thompson Center makes break action muzzle loaders with removable breech plugs:
    http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/mzModernFlint.php

Does it matter if a shotgun barrel is rifled or smooth?*Only if you are shooting sabot slugs. Rifling will spread shot, but it will also improve groups of "rifled slugs"(with leading of course)

For shotguns or rifles, are pistol grips, collapsing stocks, lasers, or any other such modifications restricted for hunting?*lasers are illegal to hunt with
    So then I could hunt deer using a pump action shotgun with a pistol grip stock design? I'd want to change the barrel for accuracy anyway, but I'd rather not change the stock if I don't have to.

Thanks for all the info, it didn't occur to me that you could use a muzzle loader for rifle season too.

Quote Originally Posted by thefirstndsecond View Post

Oh I have been and I'll continue to, I just figured I'd cash in some spoonie points to speed up the process. A lot of the links in the stickies are broken and that's a ton of laws to read through to figure out the answers to a few questions.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by MuzzleFlash View Post
    Thompson Center makes break action muzzle loaders with removable breech plugs:
    http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/mzModernFlint.php

So then I could hunt deer using a pump action shotgun with a pistol grip stock design? I'd want to change the barrel for accuracy anyway, but I'd rather not change the stock if I don't have to.

Thanks for all the info, it didn't occur to me that you could use a muzzle loader for rifle season too.

Oh I have been and I'll continue to, I just figured I'd cash in some spoonie points to speed up the process. A lot of the links in the stickies are broken and that's a ton of laws to read through to figure out the answers to a few questions.
    Those aren't break actions. They just have a breechplug.

Yes, you can use a shotgun with a pistol grip.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by thefirstndsecond View Post

That's a helpful attitude to have.

Have you never asked for help to something? After all, any answer can be found with enough research.

Zombie Response Team SECTOR 4 Ground assault unit
    "Nothing defuses people like crazy." ~ Lycanthrope

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast