Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fox Hunt Help

Default Fox Hunt Help

some here know im a new hunter so bare with me lol i see most people hunt fox at night, i thought hunting times end at sunset? Do you spotlight for them then shoot? Is a .270 to much? I also have a 12 gauge I really wanna get out there for a fox

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Default Re: Fox Hunt Help

The game laws allow for nightime predator hunting. I understand a red lense spotlight is good, the fox cannot see the light if it is red, though I had a coyote hunter tell me the high powered lights are detectable by coyotes. You also want to be able to see what has the glowing eyes coming towards you- what if you called a bobcat in for instance? Like hunting other game you need to be able to ID the animal before shooting at it.

You CAN fox hunt in daytime- just wait till jan, the reds are out in daytime like crazy and they are not just mating, but are hungry. You have to play the wind like deer hunting, don't want Foxy to smell you and spook off. During a full moon, esp one on snow, you can night hunt and not need a light if hunting fields. You can see an animal coming in from the moonlight.

The dying rabbit is the most common call sound used, but you should have some other sounds as some foxes have been "pinched" and wise up to the rabbit call and will not come in close or will hug the edges of brush.

Leave the .270 at home unless you like a fox with a huge exit hole ( though there might be some good frangible varmint ammo you can buy that just blows up the insides). Most fox hunters use a .22 mag. The 12 ga is fine, but with your shorter barrel you need the fox to come in closer than usual. I'm told that #4 shot works. I'm not sure on coyotes, and it stinks since they are around and may come to you calling. I did have a guy shoot a grey fox with the smaller buckshot and it was still mountable. It was not shot at real close range though, so the pattern was wider and less of the shot hit the fox. I know some coyote hunters use a .223 with frangible stuff.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Westmoreland County)

I planned on doin a bit of foxing and yote hunting next week and was curious.... has anyone tried using one of those green laser designators? Ive been seeing more and more places selling them and other than the fact that they are super small compaired to a handheld spotlight, are they really worth the price?

(Mercer County)

I agree the 270 is way to big and you would loose half the fox....i used to go out fox hunting at night alot when i was young (hence the screen name) i used a wheatlight with a red lense cap..worked great...we used a .22 mag and a record player of a squealing rabbit...I even had a great horned owl almost take my head off one night....he only took my helmet with my light off....i was thinking about getting back into it but this time i will be using a .17 HMR but only if its not windy...good luck with the hunt ...i think you will love it..

Quote Originally Posted by XD40coyote View Post
    The 12 ga is fine, but with your shorter barrel you need the fox to come in closer than usual. I'm told that #4 shot works. I'm not sure on coyotes, and it stinks since they are around and may come to you calling. I did have a guy shoot a grey fox with the smaller buckshot and it was still mountable. It was not shot at real close range though, so the pattern was wider and less of the shot hit the fox. I know some coyote hunters use a .223 with frangible stuff.
    well you obviously know i want to keep the pelt seeing as how it will be coming to you lol thinking a mount depending on my budget, if i get one f course. I have a new 12 gauge so im not using my tactical 18.5 inch barrel like ive had to use in the past lol, this one is 24" and has changeable chokes and can hold 2-3/4 to 3-1/2" shells.

i might go get a call for this weekend and see if i get anything, IF i get one XD do i just need to field dress for a pelt?

(Westmoreland County)

I use my .204 and my buddy usually takes his .243, but now he got a 22mag and im currently looking for one.

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Quote Originally Posted by mike_yorkPA View Post
    well you obviously know i want to keep the pelt seeing as how it will be coming to you lol thinking a mount depending on my budget, if i get one f course. I have a new 12 gauge so im not using my tactical 18.5 inch barrel like ive had to use in the past lol, this one is 24" and has changeable chokes and can hold 2-3/4 to 3-1/2" shells.

i might go get a call for this weekend and see if i get anything, IF i get one XD do i just need to field dress for a pelt?
    Oh good you got a "real" hunting shotgun LOL.

You do not need to gut a fox, unless you want to eat it? LOL! Just keep it cold and out of the sun till you can bring it by. If you want it mounted I suggest a freezer be used as soon as you get home. Unless it is really cold outside like 35 or lower. Then you just need to bring it by same day or next day if you got it the night before.
    LOL, I am a woman...

Quote Originally Posted by XD40coyote View Post
    Oh good you got a "real" hunting shotgun LOL.
    yea about time huh lol yea im hoping to find someone near the york area that will take me out soon

(Lancaster County)

How about a .22LR with the high velocity ammo...will a headshot with that do for fox hunting? That is the smallest caliber rifle I own and I can't afford to go drop money on another rifle after just buying the .308...Or how about .308 Varmint rounds? I hear a lot of people use 125 GR rounds in .308s and .270s...Any thoughts?
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by mike_yorkPA View Post
    yea about time huh lol yea im hoping to find someone near the york area that will take me out soon
    I am in lancaster county and hunt pretty frequently even though I work Night shift during the week maybe in January if I decide to go out for fox I will get a hold of you. If you would like to go. I always wondered what it was like to be the predator of a predator...sounds like fun!
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast