Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB2011 and HB1243 Updates

So far, there hasn't been a 2nd Consideration vote on either of these bills. WE NEED TO KEEP UP THE PRESSURE, and continue to contact our legislators - ask them to tell House leadership to bring these bills to a vote! Ask them to vote YES on HB2011, and NO on the Universal Background Check amendment. In addition, the FOAC is requesting support for an amendment proposed to HB1243 (Mental Health Records for Firearms Purchases) that, if passed, will allow HB1243 to restore firearm rights to those who have recovered from a mental illness.

For more information and updates on these efforts,
CLICK HERE

For legislator contact information,
CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Hunting

Notices

Hunting Love hunting? Share hunting information here with fellow hunters.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old November 1st, 2010

(Allegheny County)
LarryD1130 has a reputation beyond reputeLarryD1130 has a reputation beyond reputeLarryD1130 has a reputation beyond reputeLarryD1130 has a reputation beyond reputeLarryD1130 has a reputation beyond reputeLarryD1130 has a reputation beyond reputeLarryD1130 has a reputation beyond reputeLarryD1130 has a reputation beyond reputeLarryD1130 has a reputation beyond reputeLarryD1130 has a reputation beyond reputeLarryD1130 has a reputation beyond repute
Default What is a good scope to put on a Marlin 30-30?

I have an old 30-30 and the scope on it is all messed up and I want to put a new one on it. What brand should I get and what power?

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old November 1st, 2010
Grand Member

MostlyHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyHarmless has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is a good scope to put on a Marlin 30-30?

Who would ever put a scope on a lever action rifle? That's like having a hitch installed on a Lamborghini Murcielago. Sure, it has the horsepower to pull the camper, but that really wasn't the idea behind the design?

Jan
Old November 1st, 2010
Grand Member

zackattack784 has a reputation beyond reputezackattack784 has a reputation beyond reputezackattack784 has a reputation beyond reputezackattack784 has a reputation beyond reputezackattack784 has a reputation beyond reputezackattack784 has a reputation beyond reputezackattack784 has a reputation beyond reputezackattack784 has a reputation beyond reputezackattack784 has a reputation beyond reputezackattack784 has a reputation beyond reputezackattack784 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MostlyHarmless View Post
Who would ever put a scope on a lever action rifle? That's like having a hitch installed on a Lamborghini Murcielago. Sure, it has the horsepower to pull the camper, but that really wasn't the idea behind the design?

Jan
Me, my dad, my grandfather, my uncle, and a good family friend of mine to name a few.

This is what I have on my Savage 99 in my profile picture, but I'm not sure what you're willing to spend.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-s...x-ii-3-9x40mm/
Old November 1st, 2010
Grand Member

MostlyHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyHarmless has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyHarmless has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
Me, my dad, my grandfather, my uncle, and a good family friend of mine to name a few.
So it runs in the family?

Jan
Old November 1st, 2010

(Beaver County)
TheOilGeek has a reputation beyond reputeTheOilGeek has a reputation beyond reputeTheOilGeek has a reputation beyond reputeTheOilGeek has a reputation beyond reputeTheOilGeek has a reputation beyond reputeTheOilGeek has a reputation beyond reputeTheOilGeek has a reputation beyond reputeTheOilGeek has a reputation beyond reputeTheOilGeek has a reputation beyond reputeTheOilGeek has a reputation beyond reputeTheOilGeek has a reputation beyond repute

I like the Leupold scout scope setup. PM sent.
Old November 1st, 2010
PAFOA Bronze Supporter

(Delaware County)
Feddog82 has a reputation beyond reputeFeddog82 has a reputation beyond reputeFeddog82 has a reputation beyond reputeFeddog82 has a reputation beyond reputeFeddog82 has a reputation beyond reputeFeddog82 has a reputation beyond reputeFeddog82 has a reputation beyond reputeFeddog82 has a reputation beyond reputeFeddog82 has a reputation beyond reputeFeddog82 has a reputation beyond reputeFeddog82 has a reputation beyond repute

I am fond of Leupold scopes and I also have a couple Nikons. That being said I wouldn't expect everyone to spend the same amount of money on their optics as I do. Also, on the .30-30s that I scoped I went with fixed power scopes, 4x or 6x should work very well in almost any situation.

In the area that you hunt what kind of shots will you be taking? Thick cover? Open woods? Fields?

Do you still hunt? Use drives? Treestand? Ground blind?

Depending on the answers I would suggest different things. ***The new Redfield line is made by Leupold here in the USA and has very nice glass at a great price, check out the 2-7x33 for your .30-30.***
Old November 1st, 2010

(Allegheny County)
LarryD1130 has a reputation beyond reputeLarryD1130 has a reputation beyond reputeLarryD1130 has a reputation beyond reputeLarryD1130 has a reputation beyond reputeLarryD1130 has a reputation beyond reputeLarryD1130 has a reputation beyond reputeLarryD1130 has a reputation beyond reputeLarryD1130 has a reputation beyond reputeLarryD1130 has a reputation beyond reputeLarryD1130 has a reputation beyond reputeLarryD1130 has a reputation beyond repute

I know somebody was going to hit me with the, "Who would put a scope on a 30-30" thing. Me personally, I like scopes on my 30-30. The area I hunt is usually pretty thick covered but there are some nice shooting lanes. I usually just stand or still hunt. I don't know if I should get the fixed power or not. I like the fact that I can zoom in but will I need it? If I do get one that doesn't have fixed power, what power should I get. 3-9x40 seems like a little too much for a 30-30 where I'm hunting. I doubt I'll get the VX-II for my 30-30 because I was thinking about putting one of them on my 30-06. I'm leaning towards Leupold or Redfield.

Last edited by LarryD1130; November 1st, 2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old November 1st, 2010
Grand Member

(Monroe County)
Dredly has a reputation beyond reputeDredly has a reputation beyond reputeDredly has a reputation beyond reputeDredly has a reputation beyond reputeDredly has a reputation beyond reputeDredly has a reputation beyond reputeDredly has a reputation beyond reputeDredly has a reputation beyond reputeDredly has a reputation beyond reputeDredly has a reputation beyond reputeDredly has a reputation beyond repute

I would absolutely throw a scope on it. I prefer a 4 power for my 30.30 but with the outstanding range that you get from the LeverEvolution I am thinking about switching to a variable power as shots of 150+ yards are definately doable now
The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.
Old November 1st, 2010

(Westmoreland County)
hornady has a reputation beyond reputehornady has a reputation beyond reputehornady has a reputation beyond reputehornady has a reputation beyond reputehornady has a reputation beyond reputehornady has a reputation beyond reputehornady has a reputation beyond reputehornady has a reputation beyond reputehornady has a reputation beyond reputehornady has a reputation beyond reputehornady has a reputation beyond repute

The last few years I have been buying Nikons, good glass and you will not brake the bank. I would also go with the 4X40 or the 3 X 9 X40, anything less than 40 and you will have trouble in low light. Nikon makes a 2x7x32 I have heard guys have had good luck with them in heavy brush hunting . but you have the light issue,
Old November 1st, 2010
Grand Member

zackattack784 has a reputation beyond reputezackattack784 has a reputation beyond reputezackattack784 has a reputation beyond reputezackattack784 has a reputation beyond reputezackattack784 has a reputation beyond reputezackattack784 has a reputation beyond reputezackattack784 has a reputation beyond reputezackattack784 has a reputation beyond reputezackattack784 has a reputation beyond reputezackattack784 has a reputation beyond reputezackattack784 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Jan
Quote:
So it runs in the family?

Jan
I'm not entirely sure if these posts are in jest or they are intended to invoke some kind of response, so....with that being said, please refrain from posting in a thread if you aren't going to contribute to the discussion.