Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB80 Signed by Governor Corbett!

Thanks to everyone's support of this bill, it has been signed into law by Governor Corbett. Municipalities can now be held liable for firearms laws on the books which are in direct violation of the state's preemption laws. To link to continuing discussion on the new law, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Hunting

Notices

Hunting Love hunting? Share hunting information here with fellow hunters.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old September 2nd, 2010, 03:27 PM

IHDiesel73L has a reputation beyond reputeIHDiesel73L has a reputation beyond reputeIHDiesel73L has a reputation beyond reputeIHDiesel73L has a reputation beyond reputeIHDiesel73L has a reputation beyond reputeIHDiesel73L has a reputation beyond reputeIHDiesel73L has a reputation beyond reputeIHDiesel73L has a reputation beyond reputeIHDiesel73L has a reputation beyond reputeIHDiesel73L has a reputation beyond reputeIHDiesel73L has a reputation beyond repute
Default State Game Land 157-Anyone here hunt it?

SGL 157 is in Haycock (northern Bucks County)-based on it's proximity to Philly and overcrowded New Jersey I'd imagine it gets slammed pretty hard during the firearm season, but it's pretty big, so you could probably go in deep and avoid the crowds. Just curious if anyone here hunts it. My wife and I love that whole area and we're hoping to maybe buy a house right smack in the middle of Haycock so we can have the state game land (and hopefully some land of our own for hunting/shooting) and Lake Nockamixon in our backyard.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old September 2nd, 2010, 03:34 PM
Grand Member

(Monroe County)
Dredly has a reputation beyond reputeDredly has a reputation beyond reputeDredly has a reputation beyond reputeDredly has a reputation beyond reputeDredly has a reputation beyond reputeDredly has a reputation beyond reputeDredly has a reputation beyond reputeDredly has a reputation beyond reputeDredly has a reputation beyond reputeDredly has a reputation beyond reputeDredly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: State Game Land 157-Anyone here hunt it?

anything within an hour of NJ will get hammered
The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.
Old September 6th, 2010, 11:00 PM

(Bucks County)
chrmm22sr has a reputation beyond reputechrmm22sr has a reputation beyond reputechrmm22sr has a reputation beyond reputechrmm22sr has a reputation beyond reputechrmm22sr has a reputation beyond reputechrmm22sr has a reputation beyond reputechrmm22sr has a reputation beyond reputechrmm22sr has a reputation beyond reputechrmm22sr has a reputation beyond reputechrmm22sr has a reputation beyond reputechrmm22sr has a reputation beyond repute

I hunt there and you can hunt in noximixion park both are border line UNhuntable during gun season too many hunters to even take a SAFE shot this is just my OPINION and expierences
Old September 7th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Grand Member

(Lehigh County)
A-5 has a reputation beyond reputeA-5 has a reputation beyond reputeA-5 has a reputation beyond reputeA-5 has a reputation beyond reputeA-5 has a reputation beyond reputeA-5 has a reputation beyond reputeA-5 has a reputation beyond reputeA-5 has a reputation beyond reputeA-5 has a reputation beyond reputeA-5 has a reputation beyond reputeA-5 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHDiesel73L View Post
SGL 157 is in Haycock (northern Bucks County)-based on it's proximity to Philly and overcrowded New Jersey I'd imagine it gets slammed pretty hard during the firearm season, but it's pretty big, so you could probably go in deep and avoid the crowds. Just curious if anyone here hunts it. My wife and I love that whole area and we're hoping to maybe buy a house right smack in the middle of Haycock so we can have the state game land (and hopefully some land of our own for hunting/shooting) and Lake Nockamixon in our backyard.
If you can buy land there it's fantastic the deer will be pushed onto your private land. Find the co-ops they hold deer and usually less people. On opening day they are all packed though go during the weekdays.
Old September 15th, 2010, 01:08 PM

(Lancaster County)
heatheroo has a reputation beyond reputeheatheroo has a reputation beyond reputeheatheroo has a reputation beyond reputeheatheroo has a reputation beyond reputeheatheroo has a reputation beyond reputeheatheroo has a reputation beyond reputeheatheroo has a reputation beyond reputeheatheroo has a reputation beyond reputeheatheroo has a reputation beyond reputeheatheroo has a reputation beyond reputeheatheroo has a reputation beyond repute

OTOH - I've been in there during late archery/muzzleloader and its been deserted. Didn't see any deer either though......
Old September 15th, 2010, 02:02 PM

(Bucks County)
ihunt49 has a reputation beyond reputeihunt49 has a reputation beyond reputeihunt49 has a reputation beyond reputeihunt49 has a reputation beyond reputeihunt49 has a reputation beyond reputeihunt49 has a reputation beyond reputeihunt49 has a reputation beyond reputeihunt49 has a reputation beyond reputeihunt49 has a reputation beyond reputeihunt49 has a reputation beyond reputeihunt49 has a reputation beyond repute

I live 5 minutes from Nockamixon State Park and the surrounding State Game Lands. I have hunted them for years and have had a few moments with some questionable people. The opening day and Saturdays during buck season are the most crowded. By the middle of the 2nd week, there is hardly anybody there. When I hunt there it is usually during the week as there are fewer people. I find the thickest cover and hunker down. Usually the deer will find me as they hide from the other hunters. I have shot quite a few deer this way. Always surprises them that I am sitting in their hiding place. South side of the lake is better than the mountain. I do some scouting during squirrel season and look for sign, cover, and trails and then plan my hunts accordingly. I even make some ground blinds for future use.
Old September 17th, 2010, 10:46 AM

(Bucks County)
BRIANT is a jewel in the roughBRIANT is a jewel in the roughBRIANT is a jewel in the roughBRIANT is a jewel in the rough

I hunt there archery season and the late flintlock. It's a ZOO for regular firearms season. Have seen/met my share of questionable "hunters" as well as some quality outdoorsmen, in both archery and firearm seasons. The deer do get hunted hard and there really isn't all that much room up there. That being said, I hunt there alot, and have seen my share of deer.
Old December 1st, 2010, 09:20 AM

(Montgomery County)
jford is on a distinguished road

I just hunted it for the first time. Went on second day of the season, a Tuesday, early in the morning. There were about 7 people at the Sawmill Rd. parking area for SGL 157. I went up on the Norhtern most peak of the mountain. Did not see anything; people or deer. I was actually pleasantly surprised, even though I didn't see a deer. I expected a bigger crowd. Weekdays are definitely the time to go.
Old October 21st, 2011, 06:23 PM

(Bucks County)
draines5 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd try anyway. I am new to the area and looking for a place to hunt some deer and small game. At 157 where is the best place to park and enter.
Also, does anyone track general stand locations in the game land? (I know this is a long-shot, thought I'd give it a try.)
Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.
Dan
Old June 18th, 2013, 08:40 PM

(Union County)
strap1522 is an unknown quantity at this point

Like to start by saying I hope people check old threads because I can use all the help I can get.

Where I live and wherebi hunt both sell out of doe tags usually first round or second. Theres never left over tags. I'm looking for somewhere to archery hunt down towards the philadelpiaarea. Primarily just looking for somewhere to hunt those slick heads since tags seem to be in endless supply down that way. I have looked at SGL but still open for suggestions.

Also are there any state foests to hunt down that way?