Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: How finicky are AR gas tubes?

wuz jes kiddin....

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    wuz jes kiddin....
    Whew, I was beginning to think it was possible. Just kidding.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    The only way you could possibly install it upside down is if you bend the crap out of it, then I guess that would be possible, but then it would be scrap.
    I hate forcing things. The regular way takes some force on the short ones. Upside down would be mangle zone force. Look twice, install once. I made that up! #newcoinedterm
    P.S. check the tube and key for interference. Correct if any. It will cause feeding problems.

(Lancaster County)

Im new enough to ARs that I may be missing things with sarcastic intent but I assure you all that I had the tube pinned in upside down. I didnt mutilate it in the process either. In my op when I said it didnt install as easy as I felt it should it was apparently due to the fact it was inverted. The extended length rail I used needed to be in place before installing the tube. Somewhere in the process I spun it. When I took everything down this afternoon I pulled the sight post off wifh the tube still pinned in. Popped the pin and sure enough the hole was facing up.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Bucks County)

Maybe you had the misfortune of acquiring a gas tube incorrectly drilled?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    Im new enough to ARs that I may be missing things with sarcastic intent but I assure you all that I had the tube pinned in upside down. I didnt mutilate it in the process either. In my op when I said it didnt install as easy as I felt it should it was apparently due to the fact it was inverted. The extended length rail I used needed to be in place before installing the tube. Somewhere in the process I spun it. When I took everything down this afternoon I pulled the sight post off wifh the tube still pinned in. Popped the pin and sure enough the hole was facing up.
    If gas tubes were straight then I could see them being installed upside down, but due to the shape and the curve it is impossible to install upside down.

If you installed the tube upside down in the front site and then slid it on the barrel it would be above the gas tube hole on the receiver due to the curve.

As bang said, the only way possible if the tube was drilled incorrectly.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    If gas tubes were straight then I could see them being installed upside down, but due to the shape and the curve it is impossible to install upside down.

If you installed the tube upside down in the front site and then slid it on the barrel it would be above the gas tube hole on the receiver due to the curve.

As bang said, the only way possible if the tube was drilled incorrectly.
    It would be below but it would hit the fat part chamber area of the barrel. Then you would bend/jam it through the hole. It would be angled up inside the top receiver. If you don't know and you just wing it you can do some stuff that would seem impossible to those that know.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    If your tube is lined up well with the gas key your fine. If its dragging or striking you probibly would do good to replace it, but shoot it first. If its reliable don't worry about it. Chalk it up to learning. Hard knocks was my school too.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    It would be below but it would hit the fat part chamber area of the barrel. Then you would bend/jam it through the hole. It would be angled up inside the top receiver. If you don't know and you just wing it you can do some stuff that would seem impossible to those that know.
    Yes below, that's what I meant, got it turned around.

(Carbon County)

I rebarreled/worked on thousands of M-16/M16A-1's. I have seen this done many times, that is why I suggested it. With all the new models and aftermarket guns out there, I just did not know if he was dealing with the same parts on the barrel. Looking at the posted photo, it sure appears to be the same sight assembly installed on M-16's. I have always reinserted the tube correctly after this was done with no ill effects. I bet you are one of those guys that says you can not put the bolt in an m-60 backwards and have it pick up and chamber a round.
    Last edited by Gunplummer; February 14th, 2015 at 11:00 PM. Reason: ignorant people

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast