Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: ATF ruling......

Ummm yeah, so what about all the people that completed an 80% lower in some fashion that the ATF now disagrees with? Some previous discussions seemed to imply that so long as the individual did the work themselves, using someone else's equipment was OK.
    FUCK BIDEN

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Ummm yeah, so what about all the people that completed an 80% lower in some fashion that the ATF now disagrees with? Some previous discussions seemed to imply that so long as the individual did the work themselves, using someone else's equipment was OK.
    what about them? they are after "manufacturers" (cause they want their money) not the individuals. It would be pretty hard to prove where "you" completed your build, its alot easier to find a shop that is offering this "service"

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    IMO nothing changes, you cant build guns for others without a license. I for one dont want any "gun" that is printed. (parts like grips etc. could be ok)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB0 View Post
    I wonder how this would affect 3D printing manufacturing? That is essentially the same as a CNC machine.
    The ruling specifically mentions printing (additive manufacturing) in the intro, so 3D printing on commercial equipment is out also.

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    The ruling specifically mentions printing (additive manufacturing) in the intro, so 3D printing on commercial equipment is out also.
    yes as a manufacturer (for sale) it does not say that you could not make your own gun on your own privately owned printer. (not that I would anyway)

what about them? they are after "manufacturers" (cause they want their money) not the individuals. It would be pretty hard to prove where "you" completed your build, its alot easier to find a shop that is offering this "service"

There have been numerous threads here and elsewhere that have discussed cnc parties. I know the ATF put an end to these situations where people essentially showed up, paid a fee, and finished a lower on a cnc.
    There must be numerous instances where a few friends got together and completed their own lowers on either a mill, drill press, or even a cnc, where the work was completed by individual.

I'm wondering where all this is going, and if all the people that in fact did attend cnc parties are now felons because they have illegal firearms.
    The ATF changes their mind all the time on everything, and I'm pretty sure they don't grandfather anyone in.
    FUCK BIDEN

this whole letter is a clarification on what constitutes manufacturing is, what you cant do without a license. IMO unless you own a shop that hosted this sort of activity it really doesn't affect you. It is still legal for you to finish your own lower with your own tools. you cannot pay/barter/trade someone to finish your own lower unless they are a licensed manufacturer. in those "manufacturing parties" it is the business that would be a felon for operating without a license.

(Monroe County)

this whole letter is a clarification on what constitutes manufacturing is, what you cant do without a license. IMO unless you own a shop that hosted this sort of activity it really doesn't affect you. It is still legal for you to finish your own lower with your own tools. you cannot pay/barter/trade someone to finish your own lower unless they are a licensed manufacturer. in those "manufacturing parties" it is the business that would be a felon for operating without a license.
    This is what they are trying to to achieve.

Too many people going to a shop and pay to use their equipment to finish their receivers. This will also affect "build parties" where guys pool their tools together for parking and building.

So the question is will the ATF start going after companies that were engaged in this practice and bring them up on charges? I can see if money exchanged hands, or some sort of barter was reached they want it to stop.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Adams County)

This will also affect "build parties" where guys pool their tools together for parking and building.
    I don't see that as a reasonable extension of this ruling. They're saying you can't have a company ("... in the business of...") where folks come in and pay you to run your blank through their machine. I don't see them saying a bunch of non-licensees can't get together and share tools.
    --Sam

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sam1911 View Post
    I don't see that as a reasonable extension of this ruling. They're saying you can't have a company ("... in the business of...") where folks come in and pay you to run your blank through their machine. I don't see them saying a bunch of non-licensees can't get together and share tools.

Build parties used to be real popular back in the early to late 2000s, every board had them, but they tapered off when they caught the attention of the ATF as they considered that manufacturing. This was back when FAL, AK and other receivers and parts kits were cheap and common and guys were building in bulk for use and resale.

Now it does not state "build parties", but it does cover "Unlicensed machine shops", which is someone that has the tools and equipment for assembling firearms. So if Jim says everybody can come over and use my drill press, welder, and park tanks to build their AKs or whatever that could be considered an unlicensed machine shop.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast