Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Post war C96 Bolo Broomhandle, restore, or parts gun?

I bought 1 complete, and 2 partial broom handle Mausers in an auction, and need to figure out what to do with the partial guns. Looking for opinions.

The complete gun is a WW1 era commercial gun. 5" barrel. Has the Chinese "Made in Germany" export stamp markings. Upper receiver, lower receiver, and trigger group have matching serial numbers. Bolt and some small parts do not match. That is my keeper for sure.

The mostly complete gun is complete except for a broken firing pin and missing grips. Post WW1 Bolo model with the 4" barrel and small grip. Mish mash of serial numbers. Decent finish. Firing pin and repro grips would run me about $110. Or I could steal the grips off the next gun.

The 1/2 gun is a post WW1 commercial gun. 4" barrel, bolo grip. It is mostly complete, and I need to decide what to do with it. I could sell it as is to someone who wants a project or wants the parts. Or I could buy the parts myself, and either have another slightly different Broomhandle, or just enjoy putting it back into working condition and sell it. Mish mash of different serial numbers. Does have grips that match the lower receiver numbers.

It needs:
    - Floor plate for the magazine ($20 for a reproduction, $60 for real)
    - Follower spring ($20)
    - Magaziner follower ($22)
    - Bolt Stop ($45 new)
    - Firing pin and spring ($40)
    - Recoil spring ($10)
    So, $160 - $200 for the parts to complete it. $230-$270 to complete it if I steal it's grips for the middle gun.

If it had the floor plate, recoil spring, and bolt stop, it would be a wall hanger with a working bolt.

All 3 barrels are pretty worn. None of them are going to be very accurate. But they are cool looking as hell.

I think the middle one would be worth completing before reselling. The last one would be marginal. Selling it as a parts gun as is would probably net me more than completing it and selling it as a working gun.

I'm thinking:
    - Complete and sell the middle gun.
    - Buy the recoil spring, floor plate, and bolt stop. Keep the last gun as a wall hanger and parts gun.

What would you do?

Default Re: Post war C96 Bolo Broomhandle, restore, or parts gun?

just went through this with a C96 myself a few months ago .

If you got them at a good deal at the auction I'd just put the time/$$ into them and maybe sell off the mixmaster later down the road.

as for barrels, these wont cycle if they're close to being shot out. so considering where you get it done $100-250 per gun to get them relined.

I bought mine for $400 and now I'll have almost another $400 into it by the time I get to fire a shot.
    a slow death awaits you,but not before love reminds you that there is good in you