Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M&P 9 apex kit

(Bucks County)

Default Re: M&P 9 apex kit

Quote Originally Posted by Fdnavy View Post
    Yes I've been looking at the YouTube videos. Only concern is the sight removal and reinstalling. When I switched sites 2 different gunsmiths told me they couldn't get the new site on without having it machined. The third guy did it but it wasn't easy. I'm worried about not getting the site back on. I guess the newer mp9s ever so slightly changed the size of the rear sight and the tru glos where a bitch to install.
    If the sight has already been in the dovetail, it will come out and go back in without any machining- do not be tempted to file it.

When the gunsmith says "machining" the sight to get it into the joint he means taking a small amount of material off the bottom of the sight. If you do it by hand on sandpaper and a piece of glass, it works, but takes forever.

Most gunsmiths put the sight in the milling machine and remove a couple thousands at a time until the fit is right. If you try it with a file, you will hack it up almost certainly.

The "trick" to removing most of the sights is to prep it well. Clamp the slide really solid in a machinist's vise that is immovable. Strike the sight with brass or aluminum punches- not steel. Use lots of lighter taps as opposed to swinging as hard as you can to drive the sight out.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Lehigh County)

Here's a helpful link about sights
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do8s...el_video_title

(Lehigh County)

I did the Apex Duty/Carry and Polymer Trigger kits today on my M&P .40. It wasn't real difficult, with the right tools and patience. I'm handy with mechanical things like motorcycles but gun parts are kinda new to me so it took longer than I expected. The Apex videos helped though not exact to my gun. And, there must be better vids on You Tube or somewhere.

Removing/installing the sights wasn't bad. My gun is new so it took some good whacks to loosen it up enough. Ran the bottom of the new sights over sand paper and used the mircometer to zero everything. I'll get to the range this week some time and hope to feel the difference.

(Pike County)

I got it all in. Was t that bad. Putting trigger block back together and getting everything lined up proved more of a pain. Ended up losing the retention wire on the takedown lever so I had to order a new one. Gun seems fine without it but I ordered the replacement anyway. S&W actually sent it to me for free...I was pleasantly surprised.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12