Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Action alert on HB2011 regarding Pre-Emption

Rep Mike Turzai has committed to move HB 2011. This bill strengthens pre-emption by providing for standing and compensation of expenses in the event a local law needs to be challenged that conflicts with State gun laws. Corbett said he will sign if it is put on his desk in the remaining 11 days left to the legislative session.

For more information and updates on these efforts, and to get involved, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Gunsmithing

Notices

Gunsmithing If you're the kind of person who likes to do things yourself, this is the place for you.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old January 15th, 2013, 07:08 PM

(Beaver County)
tuxie555 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mosin Nagant - Cracked stock

So I just picked up a 91/30 Mosin a few weeks ago. Finally got all the cosmoline off and I realize the stock is cracked behind the recoil lug and near the rear action mounting screw.

I cleaned and decreased as best as I could and glued it up with Titebond II and clamped it overnight.

It seems okay, but I'm reading mixed things on keeping it from cracking again.

I've seen websites saying to use an epoxy to bed the action, using aluminum pilars on the mounting screws, shimming the recoil lug, and going as far as installing brass screws or pins across the stock.

What's everyones thoughts?

Don't worry, I cleaned it a lot more before gluing.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old January 15th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Grand Member
PAFOA Silver Supporter

(Carbon County)
Svickstc has a reputation beyond reputeSvickstc has a reputation beyond reputeSvickstc has a reputation beyond reputeSvickstc has a reputation beyond reputeSvickstc has a reputation beyond reputeSvickstc has a reputation beyond reputeSvickstc has a reputation beyond reputeSvickstc has a reputation beyond reputeSvickstc has a reputation beyond reputeSvickstc has a reputation beyond reputeSvickstc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mosin Nagant - Cracked stock

if you're worried pick up another stock...they use to be had for cheap...check ebay
Old January 15th, 2013, 08:24 PM
Grand Member

PA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxie555 View Post
What's everyones thoughts?

Don't worry, I cleaned it a lot more before gluing.

Crack runs parallel to the barrel, right? Not much chance that's anything more than cosmetic. That's a laminated stock and should have a transverse bolt passing right through that crack anyway.

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html
Old January 15th, 2013, 08:48 PM

(Beaver County)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
Crack runs parallel to the barrel, right? Not much chance that's anything more than cosmetic. That's a laminated stock and should have a transverse bolt passing right through that crack anyway.
Correct and correct, the bolt is flush with that square notch where theaction bolts in.

Guess I'll shoot it bit and keepa close eye on it.
Old January 15th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Grand Member

PA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond reputePA Rifleman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxie555 View Post
Correct and correct, the bolt is flush with that square notch where theaction bolts in.

Guess I'll shoot it bit and keepa close eye on it.
Aside from cosmetics, I wouldn't sweat it. Like, at all. In addition to the rear lug, that should have an extra bolt through the wrist that hardwood stocks lack.

If you choose to swap it out for another stock, PM me. Those plywood stocks are pretty good for accuracy and durability.

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html
Old January 16th, 2013, 07:10 AM

(Beaver County)

sounds good. Going to see if I can get to the range one day after work..
Old January 16th, 2013, 07:49 AM

(Northampton County)
loosenuts has a reputation beyond reputeloosenuts has a reputation beyond reputeloosenuts has a reputation beyond reputeloosenuts has a reputation beyond reputeloosenuts has a reputation beyond reputeloosenuts has a reputation beyond reputeloosenuts has a reputation beyond reputeloosenuts has a reputation beyond reputeloosenuts has a reputation beyond reputeloosenuts has a reputation beyond reputeloosenuts has a reputation beyond repute

Allot of those stocks were put on as replacements, and MAY have been tightened up wrong or action may need some shimming. Go over to surplusrifleforum and CK their MN section stickies, you can learn allot there.

These are great guns for the money and most have decent accuracy, even with dark, worn bores and cheap surplus ammo. I have 34 Mosin Nagants of different flavors!
Fight Crime- Shoot Back!!
Old January 16th, 2013, 05:07 PM

(Chester County)
Enfielder has a reputation beyond reputeEnfielder has a reputation beyond reputeEnfielder has a reputation beyond reputeEnfielder has a reputation beyond reputeEnfielder has a reputation beyond reputeEnfielder has a reputation beyond reputeEnfielder has a reputation beyond reputeEnfielder has a reputation beyond reputeEnfielder has a reputation beyond reputeEnfielder has a reputation beyond reputeEnfielder has a reputation beyond repute

$25 for a stock here:

https://www.buymilsurp.com/stock-use...t-p-42673.html

Yeah, its not a lammy. But if the lammy you have doesn't work out.
Old January 16th, 2013, 07:50 PM

(Montgomery County)
bartomark has a reputation beyond reputebartomark has a reputation beyond reputebartomark has a reputation beyond reputebartomark has a reputation beyond reputebartomark has a reputation beyond reputebartomark has a reputation beyond reputebartomark has a reputation beyond reputebartomark has a reputation beyond reputebartomark has a reputation beyond reputebartomark has a reputation beyond reputebartomark has a reputation beyond repute

I have a few Nagants of different types and My advice would be to just shoot it and enjoy it. In my HMO the rifle and the surplus ammo are the best BANG for the buck you will find today..........
Old January 16th, 2013, 10:08 PM

(Bucks County)
gun fan has a reputation beyond reputegun fan has a reputation beyond reputegun fan has a reputation beyond reputegun fan has a reputation beyond reputegun fan has a reputation beyond reputegun fan has a reputation beyond reputegun fan has a reputation beyond reputegun fan has a reputation beyond reputegun fan has a reputation beyond reputegun fan has a reputation beyond reputegun fan has a reputation beyond repute

Glue it and clamp it and shoot it .