Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Gunsmithing

Notices

Gunsmithing If you're the kind of person who likes to do things yourself, this is the place for you.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old May 16th, 2012, 06:04 AM

(Montgomery County)
dwcfastrice has a reputation beyond reputedwcfastrice has a reputation beyond reputedwcfastrice has a reputation beyond reputedwcfastrice has a reputation beyond reputedwcfastrice has a reputation beyond reputedwcfastrice has a reputation beyond reputedwcfastrice has a reputation beyond reputedwcfastrice has a reputation beyond reputedwcfastrice has a reputation beyond reputedwcfastrice has a reputation beyond reputedwcfastrice has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cleaning up a Marlin 781 .22LR

I thought I posted this a couple of days ago, but I guess I closed the window before I hit "submit."

I purchased a Marlin 781 over the weekend and the stock is in pretty good shape. a little dry but in good shape. However, there are a lot of rust and pits in the barrel and the blueing is mottled like an animal print. So I decided to turn this into my first foray into "refinishing".

I broke out the Blue and Rust Remover from Birchwood and my polishing sandpaper and got to work. After hand sanding (there are still some pits, but they're not as noticeable).

More pics to come as I get more done on it.

So the question.... anyone know how to get that front sight hood off?

TIA,

Dave

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old May 16th, 2012, 06:08 AM

(Chester County)
Enfielder has a reputation beyond reputeEnfielder has a reputation beyond reputeEnfielder has a reputation beyond reputeEnfielder has a reputation beyond reputeEnfielder has a reputation beyond reputeEnfielder has a reputation beyond reputeEnfielder has a reputation beyond reputeEnfielder has a reputation beyond reputeEnfielder has a reputation beyond reputeEnfielder has a reputation beyond reputeEnfielder has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cleaning up a Marlin 781 .22LR

Push the front sight hood and it will slide off. Tap with plastic-headed mallet if it is stubborn.
Old May 16th, 2012, 06:27 AM

(Montgomery County)
dwcfastrice has a reputation beyond reputedwcfastrice has a reputation beyond reputedwcfastrice has a reputation beyond reputedwcfastrice has a reputation beyond reputedwcfastrice has a reputation beyond reputedwcfastrice has a reputation beyond reputedwcfastrice has a reputation beyond reputedwcfastrice has a reputation beyond reputedwcfastrice has a reputation beyond reputedwcfastrice has a reputation beyond reputedwcfastrice has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfielder View Post
Push the front sight hood and it will slide off. Tap with plastic-headed mallet if it is stubborn.
That's it? Oh man. I"ll need to get a mallet. I tried pushing by hand, no dice.

Thanks!

Dave
Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:31 AM

(Montgomery County)

So my first foray into restoration in complete. The pits and the gouges in the metal were way to deep to get 100% smooth without changing the shape. It's a shame.

The Marlin does look a lot better than before. iPhone camera isn't the greatest indoors, so my apologies ahead of time for the quality of the pics.

after the buffing wheels:

Those marks aren't scratches from the polish, they're actually gouges that were in the metal

After assembly:

thx
D

Last edited by dwcfastrice; May 22nd, 2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:36 PM

(Lancaster County)
nateebobo has a reputation beyond reputenateebobo has a reputation beyond reputenateebobo has a reputation beyond reputenateebobo has a reputation beyond reputenateebobo has a reputation beyond reputenateebobo has a reputation beyond reputenateebobo has a reputation beyond reputenateebobo has a reputation beyond reputenateebobo has a reputation beyond reputenateebobo has a reputation beyond reputenateebobo has a reputation beyond repute

you blueing it or spray n bake? parking it would prolly look niiiice wth a fresh refinish on the stock. great work.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 06:06 AM

(Montgomery County)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateebobo View Post
you blueing it or spray n bake? parking it would prolly look niiiice wth a fresh refinish on the stock. great work.
Not sure if i'm going to home blue or bake it. I've never done either so it would be a learning experience either way.

However, I DO like shiny things and it does wipe down very easily. I might have to put a poll out there to see what people think.

As for the stock, that will be next I'll get some remover to bubble the finish off, sand it smooth again and give it the Boiled Linseed Oil treatment or some woodstain. Haven't thought that far ahead on that either.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 08:21 AM

(Lehigh County)
bushcraft is a splendid one to beholdbushcraft is a splendid one to beholdbushcraft is a splendid one to beholdbushcraft is a splendid one to beholdbushcraft is a splendid one to beholdbushcraft is a splendid one to beholdbushcraft is a splendid one to behold

Wow! Very nicely done cleaning that sweet looking 22lr!

I second the parking of it!
Old May 28th, 2012, 12:30 AM
PAFOA Bronze Supporter

(Bucks County)
hunterdan has a reputation beyond reputehunterdan has a reputation beyond reputehunterdan has a reputation beyond reputehunterdan has a reputation beyond reputehunterdan has a reputation beyond reputehunterdan has a reputation beyond reputehunterdan has a reputation beyond reputehunterdan has a reputation beyond reputehunterdan has a reputation beyond reputehunterdan has a reputation beyond reputehunterdan has a reputation beyond repute

Nice work, I just started on a 782 this afternoon. Quick question, how hard is it to remove the rear sight? The one I have no longer has a front sight, and I was just thinking of removing the rear sight to clean the lines up some. It would also make cleaning the barrel up that much easier.

Dan
Old May 29th, 2012, 12:59 AM

(Montgomery County)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterdan View Post
Nice work, I just started on a 782 this afternoon. Quick question, how hard is it to remove the rear sight? The one I have no longer has a front sight, and I was just thinking of removing the rear sight to clean the lines up some. It would also make cleaning the barrel up that much easier.

Dan
Thanks for the compliment!

At least with the 781, the rear sight tapped out after you removed the elevation adjuster. It's held in by the tension of the rear sight pushing down on it.

Take a brass punch and tap it out. Mine was rusted to the barrel so I ended up using a steel punch and a significant amount of force.

Hope this helps.

D