Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Gunsmithing

Notices

Gunsmithing If you're the kind of person who likes to do things yourself, this is the place for you.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old January 13th, 2012, 10:52 AM

(Chester County)
NickDFAL has a reputation beyond reputeNickDFAL has a reputation beyond reputeNickDFAL has a reputation beyond reputeNickDFAL has a reputation beyond reputeNickDFAL has a reputation beyond reputeNickDFAL has a reputation beyond reputeNickDFAL has a reputation beyond reputeNickDFAL has a reputation beyond reputeNickDFAL has a reputation beyond reputeNickDFAL has a reputation beyond reputeNickDFAL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Scope for Mosin Nagant 91/30

Just bought a Mosin-Nagant 91/30, did not get it to really collect, but to use at the range. I want to mount a scope so I am going to use one of the mounts available online which replaces the rear sight. Looking at the Leapers UTG tri-mount had good reviews. My question is that by using this mount, thus avoiding altering bolt to clear scope, I have to get one with a long eye relief. What I don't know is approximately how long that relief should be. Hard to measure without the scope. Does anyone have any experience with this. Most LER scopes I have seen are about 5". Does this mean that the max distance my eye can be from the scope is 5" for a clear view? Don't have much experience with this. Thanks

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old January 13th, 2012, 02:35 PM

(Allegheny County)
RuthlessZ has a reputation beyond reputeRuthlessZ has a reputation beyond reputeRuthlessZ has a reputation beyond reputeRuthlessZ has a reputation beyond reputeRuthlessZ has a reputation beyond reputeRuthlessZ has a reputation beyond reputeRuthlessZ has a reputation beyond reputeRuthlessZ has a reputation beyond reputeRuthlessZ has a reputation beyond reputeRuthlessZ has a reputation beyond reputeRuthlessZ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scope for Mosin Nagant 91/30

Nutnfancy reviewed this scope mount by brassstacker and spoke very highly of it.

Here is the review.
Old January 13th, 2012, 06:05 PM

(Dauphin County)
PA1936MN has a reputation beyond reputePA1936MN has a reputation beyond reputePA1936MN has a reputation beyond reputePA1936MN has a reputation beyond reputePA1936MN has a reputation beyond reputePA1936MN has a reputation beyond reputePA1936MN has a reputation beyond reputePA1936MN has a reputation beyond reputePA1936MN has a reputation beyond reputePA1936MN has a reputation beyond reputePA1936MN has a reputation beyond repute

A better mount even yet is Jmecks scope mount, http://www.jmeckscopemounts.com/
Old January 25th, 2012, 11:16 PM
PAFOA Bronze Supporter

LEUVUK has a reputation beyond reputeLEUVUK has a reputation beyond reputeLEUVUK has a reputation beyond reputeLEUVUK has a reputation beyond reputeLEUVUK has a reputation beyond reputeLEUVUK has a reputation beyond reputeLEUVUK has a reputation beyond reputeLEUVUK has a reputation beyond reputeLEUVUK has a reputation beyond reputeLEUVUK has a reputation beyond reputeLEUVUK has a reputation beyond repute

Check out some links below.

Kalinka Optics offers receiver mounts:

http://kalinkaoptics.com/mounts/othe...html?limit=all

MilsurpStuff.com has also receiver mounts as well as rear side based mounts:

http://www.milsurpstuff.com/products...t=Mosin+Nagant

More rear sight replacing mounts at GunAccessories:

http://www.gunaccessories.com/Milita...gant/index.asp

My preference would be rear sight replacing mounts.
Old February 7th, 2012, 11:37 PM

(Cumberland County)
RoeRepresent is an unknown quantity at this point

I actually bought the UTG tri mount, looked at it and didn't really like it so I returned it and just knocked off the entire rear sight and mounted 3/8 rings with a leapers long eye relief scope. Not the best scope and currently looking for another scope with higher power and a little more eye relief.

I measured my Mosin and I'd say the scope needs to have at least 5 inch of eye relief more like 5.5 to 6.5 inch, with the UTG mount you probably would be looking more at 5 inch eye relief.

My leapers long eye relief was described of 5inch of eye relief but didn't really pan out only have about 3/4 field of view, but again it was a very cheap scope and you get what you pay for.

I've been researching more tactical long distance scopes. These scopes have a pretty decent long eye relief on them, some have over 6 inch. A lot of these scopes are in the tactical or AR section on websites. Hope this helped...
Old February 8th, 2012, 02:16 AM

(Chester County)
illogicalmethods2 has a reputation beyond reputeillogicalmethods2 has a reputation beyond reputeillogicalmethods2 has a reputation beyond reputeillogicalmethods2 has a reputation beyond reputeillogicalmethods2 has a reputation beyond reputeillogicalmethods2 has a reputation beyond reputeillogicalmethods2 has a reputation beyond reputeillogicalmethods2 has a reputation beyond reputeillogicalmethods2 has a reputation beyond reputeillogicalmethods2 has a reputation beyond reputeillogicalmethods2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoeRepresent View Post
I actually bought the UTG tri mount, looked at it and didn't really like it so I returned it and just knocked off the entire rear sight and mounted 3/8 rings with a leapers long eye relief scope. Not the best scope and currently looking for another scope with higher power and a little more eye relief.

I measured my Mosin and I'd say the scope needs to have at least 5 inch of eye relief more like 5.5 to 6.5 inch, with the UTG mount you probably would be looking more at 5 inch eye relief.

My leapers long eye relief was described of 5inch of eye relief but didn't really pan out only have about 3/4 field of view, but again it was a very cheap scope and you get what you pay for.

I've been researching more tactical long distance scopes. These scopes have a pretty decent long eye relief on them, some have over 6 inch. A lot of these scopes are in the tactical or AR section on websites. Hope this helped...
5 inch eye relief? Try one with a 8-10 inch eye relief.
I put a pistol scope from NCStar on mine..
2-7x32 magnification, 8.7-10.7 inch eye relief.
http://www.amazon.com/2-7X32-Pistol-...ref=pd_ys_iyr1