Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB80 Signed by Governor Corbett!

Thanks to everyone's support of this bill, it has been signed into law by Governor Corbett. Municipalities can now be held liable for firearms laws on the books which are in direct violation of the state's preemption laws. To link to continuing discussion on the new law, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Gunsmithing

Notices

Gunsmithing If you're the kind of person who likes to do things yourself, this is the place for you.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old October 21st, 2011, 04:25 AM
PAFOA Silver Supporter

(Montgomery County)
marks has a reputation beyond reputemarks has a reputation beyond reputemarks has a reputation beyond reputemarks has a reputation beyond reputemarks has a reputation beyond reputemarks has a reputation beyond reputemarks has a reputation beyond reputemarks has a reputation beyond reputemarks has a reputation beyond reputemarks has a reputation beyond reputemarks has a reputation beyond repute
Default ATI Titan Guide Rod/Recoil Spring/Recoil Spring Plug (Fix Info)

I bought an ATI Titan (used), and really like the gun. Unfortunately, my Titan, like others I've read about, suffered from a few issues. The most common (it seems) is associated with the recoil spring guide rod, and the way that ATI chose to attach the guide rod back plate to the guide rod (with a screw). The ATI Titan guide rod is on the left in this photo:

Thanks to TomWalshCo (from 1911 forum for the pic and info):
http://forums.1911forum.com/showpost...1&postcount=11

In my case, not only was the guide rod/spring assy a pain to remove, but the back plate cracked. In fact, so too did the guide rod plug (bushing).
I initially contacted ATI, spoke with a helpful/nice Tech, who sent me a few replacement parts. I thought he and I were on the same page during the phone call, but the parts I received were incorrect. I was planning to contact him again, and email him some photos, but I thought, even if I get the right parts, they're probably going to be the same failure prone parts.

Instead, I ordered this from Kimber:

It can be found here:
http://store.kimberamerica.com/Produ...4/Default.aspx

or here:

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/768...tainless-steel

This includes a guide rod plug that though different in length, still seats/fits perfectly. It's perfectly flush, as it should be, from the muzzle end of the gun, and though it extends a bit further into the slide, it mates with the included Kimber guide rod/spring assy perfectly.

This part addressed three issues for me. The guide rod plug/bushing, the cracked recoil spring back plate, and of course now, there's also no chance of the screw backing out of the guide rod (another issue others have reported).

Yes, I could have persisted with ATI, and I'm quite sure they would have ultimately sent me the correct parts (free, as the gun's with warranty). And, yes, I spent nearly $50 on the Kimber part above. But, it was a plug and play replacement part, and it's of better quality.

Your mileage may vary. I am not encouraging anyone to replace the parts in their ATI Titan, "just because". The gun doesn't run any better with these parts. It works just as it did. The recoil spring tension feels about the same, the slide locks back after the last round, no feed, fire or eject issues. No issues of any kind. But again, if the original parts work, this won't make it any better. If you do decide to go with this part, think carefully before you spend your money. I have no data or long term experience with this part yet, so I don't want to see anyone feel they ordered a part, and got hosed. It works well for me, and I offer this only as a suggestion.

I posted this here, in the event someone does have similar problems, and wants what so far, for me, appears to be a quick, drop-in solution. I've seen other posts that reference the Colt Defender spring/guide rod assy. I haven't tried it, but AFAIK, that part does not include the plug/bushing.

Last edited by marks; October 21st, 2011 at 04:43 AM.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old October 26th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Grand Member
PAFOA Silver Supporter

(Beaver County)
ViperHummel has a reputation beyond reputeViperHummel has a reputation beyond reputeViperHummel has a reputation beyond reputeViperHummel has a reputation beyond reputeViperHummel has a reputation beyond reputeViperHummel has a reputation beyond reputeViperHummel has a reputation beyond reputeViperHummel has a reputation beyond reputeViperHummel has a reputation beyond reputeViperHummel has a reputation beyond reputeViperHummel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ATI Titan Guide Rod/Recoil Spring/Recoil Spring Plug (Fix Info)

Thanks for this info! I just bought a Titan and even though I have yet to shoot it, I'm glad I have a known issue to look for and a potential solution. I may just get one anyone for spare parts.
Old December 10th, 2011, 08:32 AM

virtualvictum is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, this is my first post and would like to say thank you for sharing this information. I have owned a Titan for about 6 months. I was currently on my third guide rod, 5th bushing, and several replacement recoil springs to include wolf springs for the defender as well as colt defender springs. They do not work in the Titan. Using any recoil spring for the colt defender will only acomplish one thing, a broken bushing. The defender recoil springs while stiffer than stock will not allow full compression. This results in excess pressure on the front bushing and it will crack. The stock recoil spring does work however it wears out extremely fast. I was experiencing failures to feed where the slide would not fully close and that was with 230 grain ball ammo. A slight tap on the back of the slide would put it into battery. The Kimber assembly 100% cured all of the problems. It is not a direct drop in fit though. The bushing for the Kimber is completely round and the Titans bushing has a cut out in it to seat flush against the frame. This cut out takes about 10 minutes with a dremel. After making the cut it fits in the Titan as if it was made for it. Needles to say it looks 100% better as the front of the Titan looks finished. After 200 rounds with the Kimber assembly there have been 0 issues. In my opinion it is the best 50 bucks you can spend on the gun. Thanks again for the info.
Old December 21st, 2011, 03:54 PM

(Chester County)
Minor Threat has a reputation beyond reputeMinor Threat has a reputation beyond reputeMinor Threat has a reputation beyond reputeMinor Threat has a reputation beyond reputeMinor Threat has a reputation beyond reputeMinor Threat has a reputation beyond reputeMinor Threat has a reputation beyond reputeMinor Threat has a reputation beyond reputeMinor Threat has a reputation beyond reputeMinor Threat has a reputation beyond reputeMinor Threat has a reputation beyond repute

Marks, how is this "mod" working for you in the ATI? I ask because I am looking into picking up a Titan myself and would like to hear if this has been successful for you. I just like to know as much of the tips & tricks about any particular gun I am thinking about buying.

Also, it helps to know any potential problem areas to look out for especially is buying a used weapon.