Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB80 (Formerly HB 1243, Preemption Law Changes) Is Off to the Governor for Signature!

Thanks to everyone's support of this bill, it has passed a concurrence vote in the House, and is now off to the Governor's desk to be signed. To link to the latest discussion on this effort, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Gunsmithing

Notices

Gunsmithing If you're the kind of person who likes to do things yourself, this is the place for you.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old August 25th, 2011, 07:33 PM

(Lancaster County)
Bob Gritz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default can i make tracer ammo?

Was trying to figure out if it is legal to buy or posible to reload my own trace ammo. Wanted to do some long range shooting with my AR-15. Any advice or helpful hints I would appreciate it. Thanks

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old August 25th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Grand Member

(Allegheny County)
Asmodeus6 has a reputation beyond reputeAsmodeus6 has a reputation beyond reputeAsmodeus6 has a reputation beyond reputeAsmodeus6 has a reputation beyond reputeAsmodeus6 has a reputation beyond reputeAsmodeus6 has a reputation beyond reputeAsmodeus6 has a reputation beyond reputeAsmodeus6 has a reputation beyond reputeAsmodeus6 has a reputation beyond reputeAsmodeus6 has a reputation beyond reputeAsmodeus6 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can i make tracer ammo?

It's certainly legal to buy. As for making it yourself. I have no idea.

Federal sells 64gr tracers under the American Eagle name that are actually manufactured by Lake City. Which is basically XM856 Nato. (Tracer)
Old August 25th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Grand Member

(Beaver County)
DucatiRon has a reputation beyond reputeDucatiRon has a reputation beyond reputeDucatiRon has a reputation beyond reputeDucatiRon has a reputation beyond reputeDucatiRon has a reputation beyond reputeDucatiRon has a reputation beyond reputeDucatiRon has a reputation beyond reputeDucatiRon has a reputation beyond reputeDucatiRon has a reputation beyond reputeDucatiRon has a reputation beyond reputeDucatiRon has a reputation beyond repute

Yep you can. Tracers are legal but not so easy to buy as a component piece. Awhile back Wideners had a sale in Lake City 2010 tracer rounds. I bought 1k of them for $100. These were the 63 grain variety. I still see them in Gunbroker. You do want new production ammo and not pulled rounds. I'm not a fan of pulled ammo cause some damage/misform of the bullet can occur if not pulled carefully. Tracers also are a bit longer than standard ammo of the same weight so be sure of you're recipe. Stay away from compressed loads. A 55grain tracer is similar in size to a 63grain round so I stick with the recipe for 63 or 65 grain ammo when I loaded mine.

PS. You do have to pay Hazmat shipping on tracers so try to buy with primers or powder.
Old August 25th, 2011, 08:15 PM

(Lancaster County)
Bob Gritz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, that's helpfull. I always apppreciate good advice from fellow gun owners.
Old August 25th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Grand Member

(Cambria County)
CenterTree has a reputation beyond reputeCenterTree has a reputation beyond reputeCenterTree has a reputation beyond reputeCenterTree has a reputation beyond reputeCenterTree has a reputation beyond reputeCenterTree has a reputation beyond reputeCenterTree has a reputation beyond reputeCenterTree has a reputation beyond reputeCenterTree has a reputation beyond reputeCenterTree has a reputation beyond reputeCenterTree has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gritz View Post
Was trying to figure out if it is legal to buy or posible to reload my own trace ammo. Wanted to do some long range shooting with my AR-15. Any advice or helpful hints I would appreciate it. Thanks

Try SMASHING and smearing one of these on the bullet tip just prior to loading the mag....>>>

Old September 7th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Grand Member

(Lebanon County)
mauser has a reputation beyond reputemauser has a reputation beyond reputemauser has a reputation beyond reputemauser has a reputation beyond reputemauser has a reputation beyond reputemauser has a reputation beyond reputemauser has a reputation beyond reputemauser has a reputation beyond reputemauser has a reputation beyond reputemauser has a reputation beyond reputemauser has a reputation beyond repute

Some powders aren't as good at lighting the tracer, if you're rolling your own you'll want to do some research and experimenting before you load a pile of them.

I've seen a lot of pulled tracer bullets at gun shows, if you want to go that route, but as mentioned earlier, pulled aren't always as reliable as new. It depends on how they were pulled and how they were handled/treated between then and the time you get them.

There are three kinds of people in the world:
Those who make things happen;
Those who watch things happen;
Those who wonder what happened.
Old September 7th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Master Member

(Northampton County)
ungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond reputeungawa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gritz View Post
Generally, 5.56 tracers don't burn all that far. And, they are not known for having precisely the same ballistics as their ball counterparts. And they are not known for being extremely accurate. They are generally helpful for shooting machineguns, shooting at night in some situations, or (formerly) signaling when you are running out of ammo. For daylight long-range shooting I can't think of any advantage, especially in less than full auto.

Maybe you have something else in mind. But you asked for any advice or helpful hints, and that's all I got.