Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Marlin 336-R.C. "Texan" Saddle Ring Carbine

Marlin 336-R.C. 30-30 "Texan" saddle ring carbine - circa 1968

Note the straight grip stock.
    I have no interest in the typical, run of the mill, pistol grip Marlin 336 - I likes me a straight grip stock on a lever gun and that's what made me jump on this one!

Aside from the mysterious missing bluing on the bottom of the mag tube, two tiny wear spots on the lever, and one tiny "dent" in the bottom of the stock at the bullseye, it appears in perfect condition - no other bluing wear and NO pitting whatsoever.
    Not even a scratch on the butt pad. Even the bluing on the internal lever mechanism is barely worn from working the lever - I don't believe the gun has seen much use.

This carbine, like me, was made in 1968 - I only wish I were in as good of condition!

Marlin introduced the Texan in 1951. It differed from the rifle in that it had a carbine stock (with two barrel bands as opposed to an end cap) and while I don't know that a 20" barrel technically qualifies as a carbine, that's what they seem to have been labeled by Marlin. (Later carbines were offered with 18 1/2" and 16 1/4" barrels)
    As I understand it, essentially any 336 with a straight grip is a considered a "Texan".

In 1965 the saddle ring was added to the receiver and was later discontinued in 1972.
    You will note that in addition to having a straight grip, my Marlin also has a rounded lever, not the "squared" lever that we are most accustomed to seeing on "modern" Marlins (another thing that drew me to it) - the squared lever came out in 1970.

It goes without saying that it is a "JM" stamped Marlin and not one of the current abominations that Remington puts out bearing the Marlin name.
    There's a reason that 30 and 40 year old Marlins sell for about the same price as a brand new Marlin - the difference in fit/finish and overall quality is blatantly apparent when comparing the two side by side.

Amazingly I grew up hunting the mountains and forests of western Pennsylvania and I had never shot a lever gun until I was an adult - and I don't mean "eighteen" either. I scored my first lever gun (Marlin 357 mag) about five years ago and have been in love ever since. I also have a Winchester 94 which is about the same age as this Marlin, and a Henry carbine in .22LR. They're like AKs and ARs - you can't have just one!
    When I came home with this one, Mrs. EM looked at it and sez "Aaaaaand you needed another LEVER gun becaaaaause???

LOL!

Because they are AWESOME!

Stay tuned. Craploads of photos to come...
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Marlin 336-R.C. "Texan" Saddle Ring Carbine

That wood grain is outstanding ! Lever guns have always been my favorite type of rifle, probably from watching Bonanza and the Rifleman when I was younger...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    That wood grain is outstanding ! Lever guns have always been my favorite type of rifle, probably from watching Bonanza and the Rifleman when I was younger...
    Thanks! That, the straight grip, and round lever all joined forces to take control of my mind and say "I'll take it!"

(Allegheny County)

More...

(Erie County)

Very nice looking Marlin you've got there. I've got one of these as well, but mine's a bit later in the manufacturing cycle (1978), and has the squared off lever loop rather than the rounded lever loop (always did like that look). The brass saddle ring looks great on it, too bad the later runs did away with that feature.
    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
    United States Constitution - 2nd Amendment

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiski Cowboy View Post
    Very nice looking Marlin you've got there. I've got one of these as well, but mine's a bit later in the manufacturing cycle (1978), and has the squared off lever loop rather than the rounded lever loop (always did like that look). The brass saddle ring looks great on it, too bad the later runs did away with that feature.
    Quite the compliment coming from the man with "cowboy" in his name.

From what I've found in my research the saddle ring was only offered for 6 years, so it seems I got lucky.

May have to start looking at horses next to make use of it.

(Berks County)

EmptyMag,

Your gun along with a 336y in 30-30 JM stamp are on my short list. Can't seem to find either at a decent price. With that gun, you need to get yourself a new hat. :-)

Let us know how it shoots.

(Beaver County)

Beautiful wood,very nice looking "carbine".

Congratulations on a nice rifle. Expect a range report with pictures of course.

If it had come up again before you nabbed it,I think it would be living a little further west in Pa.

I also have a thing for the early JM marked Marlins.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by keystoneman 85 View Post
    EmptyMag,

Your gun along with a 336y in 30-30 JM stamp are on my short list. Can't seem to find either at a decent price. With that gun, you need to get yourself a new hat. :-)

Let us know how it shoots.
    I had to look up what the "Y" model was. Youth model - Hmmmm... that would be perfect for me since short LOP guns work well for me.
    I assume they only come in pistol grip though. Blech! ( )

Heh. The prop hat isn't fooling you? LOL

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyBear View Post
    Beautiful wood,very nice looking "carbine".

Congratulations on a nice rifle. Expect a range report with pictures of course.

If it had come up again before you nabbed it,I think it would be living a little further west in Pa.

I also have a thing for the early JM marked Marlins.
    Heh. I'm not sure why they call them carbines if tehy have a 20" barrel - I know it had something to do with the shorter stock, but in my book a carbine has a 16-ish" barrel - maybe 18".
    I'd be super-duper extra happy if it had a 16 1/4" barrel, but those didn't come out until much later.
    I can't complain though because I DO have a JM Marlin 1894 in 357 mag with an 18" barrel - MAN is that thing light and handy.

I have ammo already waiting for it that I've had since last year. Been working 6 days a week all season, so I'll have to head out to PMSC one Sunday soon.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast