Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Marlin Model 989 M2 Carbine .22LR

I saw a 989 M2 (the model with the box magazine) at a small gun show a while back. I was browsing the tables when this "M1 carbine-looking thing" caught my eye.
    I had never seen one before and REALLY wanted to buy it, but I didn't have much cash on me, and had to walk away. I did get the guy's number in case I wanted to see if it was still available later.
    It was in fair condition - nothing looked horribly "wrong" and it wasn't banged up, but the stock looked "blah", and there were a lot of worn spots on the metal. I wouldn't think a collector would be interested in it as it was clearly "well used". It had a commemorative medallion on the side of the butt stock.

I did some research and learned that Marlin first made a 99 M1 in 1964 - a shortened, slightly modified 989/99C that used a tubular magazine.

(excerpt from a Marlin book)
    The marketing thought behind the Model 99M1 semiautomatic carbine was to capitalize on it's hand guard, short barrel, and M1 suffix to the model number as it was felt that the casual similarity to the Cal. 30 U.S., Carbine, M1 would appeal to the thousands of WWII veterans who had trained and carried into combat the larger caliber M1 carbine. It must have worked, because over 160,000 of this model were manufactured.
    The Model 989 M2 was introduced in 1965 and produced until 1978.
    Identical to the 99 M1 except that the tube magazine was replaced with a detachable, 7 round box magazine.
    Two 7 round magazines were furnished with the model 989 M2 through 1969. In 1970 the practice was discontinued.

From 1965-1970 the suggested retail price was $49.95 (it creeped up to a whopping $73.95 in 1978)

The more I read up on them and saw images online, the more I wished I had bought the one I saw at the show. "Oh well, maybe one day."

Well, good things come to those who wait and I just happened upon one again that was in a LOT better condition AND for less money. I still didn't have the extra money to buy it, but I wasn't willing to let it slip by me, so I bought it anyway with the plan of selling off some items to cover the cost of the purchase so I wouldn't actually be out any money.

Here she is!

Marlin Model 989 M2 .22LR circa 1969 per serial number.

It is missing the rear sight which is a common issue on these carbines as the rear sights were mounted to the grooved top and made to be easily removed in order to install a scope. Many owners did just that and in the process rear sights were misplaced and as the carbine changed hands, it did so minus the lost rear sight. I would like to find one if I can.

The seller included the vintage (you can tell it's old by the lettering) Tasco 601E 4x15 scope that was already mounted on it.
    Also included are TWO original magazines.

Overall condition is much better than it even looked in the photo I saw before going to get it.
    All metal is perfect and only a few minor handling marks on the stock.
    This one has fine checkering on the grip area - something I hadn't noticed in any photos I've seen of these little carbines.
    The front sight is solid. (some tend to come loose)
    The front barrel band with the sling mount has a little play in it. That and the missing sight are the only "negatives" I can see.

I can't wait to try it out.

Pics of it lying on gravel to follow.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Marlin Model 989 M2 Carbine .22LR

Wow! That's really F'n nice!
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Wow! That's really F'n nice!

Hahaha! Indeed.

I'll post up some closeups of the flaws in the stock so you don't think it's as perfect as it looks in the first pics.

Really though, this is about as good as it gets for a shooter that's almost as old as me. LOL
    If it were perfect it would be a collector piece and I wouldn't have bothered with it for those prices. From what I'm seeing on the various online auctions, I did pretty good with this.

I just found a listing for this model in the current gun values book:
    Exc: $250 VGood: $225 Good: $195

It's hard to categorize something into such narrow definitions, but I'd say this is somewhere on the upper end between good and very good.
    I paid nowhere near any of those prices.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Hahaha! Indeed.

I'll post up some closeups of the flaws in the stock so you don't think it's as perfect as it looks in the first pics.

Really though, this is about as good as it gets for a shooter that's almost as old as me. LOL
    If it were perfect it would be a collector piece and I wouldn't have bothered with it for those prices. From what I'm seeing on the various online auctions, I did pretty good with this.

I just found a listing for this model in the current gun values book:
    Exc: $250 VGood: $225 Good: $195

It's hard to categorize something into such narrow definitions, but I'd say this is somewhere on the upper end between good and very good.
    I paid nowhere near any of those prices.
    Heh. Maybe I just have a differing opinion of what is "good, very good, and Excellent" because I keep seeing rifles online described as "very good" that are covered with dings, flaws, and worn bluing.
    Perhaps the sellers are trying to use Jedi mind tricks in order to convince the potential buyer that it's better than it actually appears? LOL

(Allegheny County)

Here's a pic of the worst flaw - some dings on the stock.
    I took the photo at an angle that would accentuate the damage. None of the finish was damaged - looks like something was pressed into it.
    It's not as noticeable in person.

A few light scratches on the other side that aren't deep - just scratched the finish a bit.
    Probably from the buckles of a sling at some point.

There are a couple of miniscule marks on the bottom of the stock where the support hand would hold the rifle that I couldn't get to photograph well enough to post. I suspect they are from a ring finger.

That's it. The overall finish is even and unworn. I'll bet I could make those light scuffs disappear by wiping it down with something.
    I've never had a wood stock that was nice enough to bother with "making nice" before, so I'll have to look into what would be the best way to "polish" it up a bit.

(Allegheny County)

Very nice. My older brother has one that he got when we were kids...I believe he got his in or around 1979 as a Christmas gift.

His is in much worse shape than yours is, since we used it heavily growing up on the farm. But, it still shoots and works great.
    "A free people ought to be armed."--George Washington

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Here's a pic of the worst flaw - some dings on the stock.
    I took the photo at an angle that would accentuate the damage. None of the finish was damaged - looks like something was pressed into it.
    It's not as noticeable in person.

{cropped by knight0334}
    You might be able to steam those dents out some. ..maybe all of the way.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

That's one neat carbine! It would make a nice stable mate for my Marlin Camp Carbine 45acp too. Congrats on a nice find.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by stringplucker View Post
    Very nice. My older brother has one that he got when we were kids...I believe he got his in or around 1979 as a Christmas gift.

His is in much worse shape than yours is, since we used it heavily growing up on the farm. But, it still shoots and works great.
    Thanks.

That's one thing that draws me to these old rimfires - they were built solidly and last forever it seems.
    I could go buy a brand new plinker today for what I paid for this, but it wouldn't have the quality, nor the character.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    You might be able to steam those dents out some. ..maybe all of the way.
    Forgot about that trick. I'll have to look up the correct way to go about it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by franklinman View Post
    That's one neat carbine! It would make a nice stable mate for my Marlin Camp Carbine 45acp too. Congrats on a nice find.
    Thanks, I love it and I haven't even shot it!

It already has a few Marlin friends!
    Camp 9
    http://forum.pafoa.org/gun-pictures-...-camp-9-a.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/gun-pictures-...n-finally.html

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast