Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB80 Signed by Governor Corbett!

Thanks to everyone's support of this bill, it has been signed into law by Governor Corbett. Municipalities can now be held liable for firearms laws on the books which are in direct violation of the state's preemption laws. To link to continuing discussion on the new law, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Gun Pictures

Notices

Gun Pictures Want to show off your new toy? Want to request a picture of something specific? Upload your pictures here!

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old June 7th, 2010, 10:13 PM

(Monroe County)
MischaBurns has a reputation beyond reputeMischaBurns has a reputation beyond reputeMischaBurns has a reputation beyond reputeMischaBurns has a reputation beyond reputeMischaBurns has a reputation beyond reputeMischaBurns has a reputation beyond reputeMischaBurns has a reputation beyond reputeMischaBurns has a reputation beyond reputeMischaBurns has a reputation beyond reputeMischaBurns has a reputation beyond reputeMischaBurns has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Springfield Armory XD9 service 4" review

I have had this gun for a few months now, so I think it is time for a review. On a side note, this is my first auto-loader, as well as my first handgun period.

ETA: to clarify things, the normal package is about $500. I paid about $400 for the one i got.

SA XD-9

I originally picked this gun for the the way it felt, not the way it shot. I went out and fondled a bunch of guns in the same price range ($500-ish), some of which felt OK, and some of which...sucked. For example, when I picked up a Block 19 (I am sorry, a Glock), my giant Sasquatch mitts did not come close to fitting in the cool (but badly placed) finger moldings on the front strap. When I picked this one up, though, it was like it screamed PICK MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! Great fit for my monster mitts, I don't even have to think about getting a good grip. It just goes there by itself.

The package I got was what SA calls the "XD Essentials" package. This means that the package does not include the factory holster, mag pouch, or speed loader, but you save a hundred or so dollars. You get the gun, two 16round magazines, a lock, a plastic bristled bore brush (I prefer brass), and assorted paperwork.

The lack of a holster/etc. didn't bother me, as the savings allowed me to buy a molded leather OWB holster and an aftermarket speedloader without going over the original price.

I will say I am somewhat disappointed with the case. Pros are that it was included, seems pretty tough, and says Springfield on it. Unfortunately, there is a huge amount of slop in the spaces for the gun and the mags (see photo below), so they rattle around a lot and do not fit snugly into the box. This really annoyes me a lot, since I am used to nice padded cases! It is only a $500 gun, so I am not sure i can complain too much about a crappy case, but my dislike stands. Also, my speedloader does not come close to fitting in the space provided for one.

About half an hour after I walked out the door, I was sitting at the range with a buddy and a couple of rifles. On a whim, I stuck a mag in it and fired at a full body target at 50 yards...and hit squarely center of mass (sorry, I did not have a camera.) I can keep groups under 4" at ten yards with it. This gun is more accurate than I am (or may ever be.)

The trigger pull is light enough not to bother me too much, and has a fairly clean break. On the flip side, it also has a ridiculously long and sloppy take-up, which I suspect is a byproduct of the trigger safety. Compared to my boltgun it is pretty ugly, but after shooting a friend's G17 (seriously, do they Rhino-Line them or something?) and a few others, I have decided it is not bad, and have no problems using it.

To date I have fired over a thousant rounds of various brands and types, and have yet to have any feeding, firing, or jamming problems at all. The rounds in the magazine sit so flat to the feed ramp that it will load empty casings...literally. I actually stuck a few empty casings into an empty mag and racked the slide a few times--they fed with no problems.

Breaking the gun down to clean is almost ridiculously easy. After four or five runs I actually blindfolded myself, and first try took it down and put it back together again in about 20 seconds. Before this, i'd never disassembled a semi-auto before. Only bolts and breaks.

I think I will be keeping it for a long time.

Also, I think we need this logo again:

Last edited by MischaBurns; June 8th, 2010 at 01:14 PM.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old June 7th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Grand Member

(Butler County)
DonM55 has a reputation beyond reputeDonM55 has a reputation beyond reputeDonM55 has a reputation beyond reputeDonM55 has a reputation beyond reputeDonM55 has a reputation beyond reputeDonM55 has a reputation beyond reputeDonM55 has a reputation beyond reputeDonM55 has a reputation beyond reputeDonM55 has a reputation beyond reputeDonM55 has a reputation beyond reputeDonM55 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Springfield Armory XD9 service 4" review

Surprised to see the case. My XD9 sub compact (a year old) case is foam with cut outs. Everything fits tight.
Old June 7th, 2010, 11:48 PM

(Lebanon County)
DethWshBkr has a reputation beyond reputeDethWshBkr has a reputation beyond reputeDethWshBkr has a reputation beyond reputeDethWshBkr has a reputation beyond reputeDethWshBkr has a reputation beyond reputeDethWshBkr has a reputation beyond reputeDethWshBkr has a reputation beyond reputeDethWshBkr has a reputation beyond reputeDethWshBkr has a reputation beyond reputeDethWshBkr has a reputation beyond reputeDethWshBkr has a reputation beyond repute

My XD 9 is about 4 years old, and came with everything. The range holster, mag pouch, loading assister, brush, lock, foam case and (2) 16 rd mags. I think it was 519 when I got it, so they really seem to have come UP in price.

But, I love the thing. I personally have NEVER had a jam, misfire, misfeed, ANYTHING other than bang. Love it! I'd like to get an XD45, for a carry gun, instead of the 9mm. I do not care for the XDm's, they just feel strange.

It is interesting you say the thing fits your large hands. I have, I wouldn't say small hands, but they are not big - but the XD just fits. NO other gun seems to fit quite like the XD.
Old June 8th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Grand Member

(Cumberland County)
rwb1500 has a reputation beyond reputerwb1500 has a reputation beyond reputerwb1500 has a reputation beyond reputerwb1500 has a reputation beyond reputerwb1500 has a reputation beyond reputerwb1500 has a reputation beyond reputerwb1500 has a reputation beyond reputerwb1500 has a reputation beyond reputerwb1500 has a reputation beyond reputerwb1500 has a reputation beyond reputerwb1500 has a reputation beyond repute

Great guns aren't they? Good pics too. What did you use to take that pic of the SA logo? Nice macro.

Here's mine. The pics aren't so great, but it's green and ported!

Dirty too, lol.
Old June 8th, 2010, 01:09 PM

(Monroe County)
MischaBurns has a reputation beyond reputeMischaBurns has a reputation beyond reputeMischaBurns has a reputation beyond reputeMischaBurns has a reputation beyond reputeMischaBurns has a reputation beyond reputeMischaBurns has a reputation beyond reputeMischaBurns has a reputation beyond reputeMischaBurns has a reputation beyond reputeMischaBurns has a reputation beyond reputeMischaBurns has a reputation beyond reputeMischaBurns has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM55 View Post
Surprised to see the case. My XD9 sub compact (a year old) case is foam with cut outs. Everything fits tight.
I find the crappy case I got quite aggrivating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
My XD 9 is about 4 years old, and came with everything. The range holster, mag pouch, loading assister, brush, lock, foam case and (2) 16 rd mags. I think it was 519 when I got it, so they really seem to have come UP in price.

It is interesting you say the thing fits your large hands. I have, I wouldn't say small hands, but they are not big - but the XD just fits. NO other gun seems to fit quite like the XD.
Actually, I should have clarified that. The full package is still about $520, the essentials package was about $420.

As to the hands: magic gun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
Great guns aren't they? Good pics too. What did you use to take that pic of the SA logo? Nice macro.
i shoot all my photos with a Canon DSLR, that was an 18mm lens for that shot (18-55mm, at 18)
Old June 8th, 2010, 01:15 PM

Subverto has a reputation beyond reputeSubverto has a reputation beyond reputeSubverto has a reputation beyond reputeSubverto has a reputation beyond reputeSubverto has a reputation beyond reputeSubverto has a reputation beyond reputeSubverto has a reputation beyond reputeSubverto has a reputation beyond reputeSubverto has a reputation beyond reputeSubverto has a reputation beyond reputeSubverto has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review. I bought the exact same gun, with the exact same case, as my first handgun about 4 months ago. Eerily similar lol.
Old June 8th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Grand Member

(Armstrong County)
Nate7667 has a reputation beyond reputeNate7667 has a reputation beyond reputeNate7667 has a reputation beyond reputeNate7667 has a reputation beyond reputeNate7667 has a reputation beyond reputeNate7667 has a reputation beyond reputeNate7667 has a reputation beyond reputeNate7667 has a reputation beyond reputeNate7667 has a reputation beyond reputeNate7667 has a reputation beyond reputeNate7667 has a reputation beyond repute

Ive had mine for a few years now. Prob got a 5-6k rounds thru it. One of my favorite pistols.
It only comes out to play now with my Trident on it.

...wow that first pic sucks. sorry
Old June 8th, 2010, 02:51 PM

(Franklin County)
Datalogger has a reputation beyond reputeDatalogger has a reputation beyond reputeDatalogger has a reputation beyond reputeDatalogger has a reputation beyond reputeDatalogger has a reputation beyond reputeDatalogger has a reputation beyond reputeDatalogger has a reputation beyond reputeDatalogger has a reputation beyond reputeDatalogger has a reputation beyond reputeDatalogger has a reputation beyond reputeDatalogger has a reputation beyond repute

Nice XD's guys. I love how those things shoot. Mean looking guns too.
Old June 8th, 2010, 10:46 PM

Subverto has a reputation beyond reputeSubverto has a reputation beyond reputeSubverto has a reputation beyond reputeSubverto has a reputation beyond reputeSubverto has a reputation beyond reputeSubverto has a reputation beyond reputeSubverto has a reputation beyond reputeSubverto has a reputation beyond reputeSubverto has a reputation beyond reputeSubverto has a reputation beyond reputeSubverto has a reputation beyond repute

You OD frame guys make me jealous. I really wanted an OD green frame but all I could find in my area were black on black and my impatience got the best of me.
Old June 8th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Grand Member

(Cumberland County)
rwb1500 has a reputation beyond reputerwb1500 has a reputation beyond reputerwb1500 has a reputation beyond reputerwb1500 has a reputation beyond reputerwb1500 has a reputation beyond reputerwb1500 has a reputation beyond reputerwb1500 has a reputation beyond reputerwb1500 has a reputation beyond reputerwb1500 has a reputation beyond reputerwb1500 has a reputation beyond reputerwb1500 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subverto View Post
You OD frame guys make me jealous. I really wanted an OD green frame but all I could find in my area were black on black and my impatience got the best of me.

I desperately want to get an OD Glock to play with the XD. You could always get it Duracoated. Check out Goldenloki.com. He does really good work. I've seen some stuff personally and really like how it looks, especially for the price. You could probably make your XD OD for less than $50.