Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Clinton County)

Default Expensive scope or rifle?

For many years people used to bring their rifles to me to sightin [scoped only] and I have observed that with newer rifles say 1980 or newer all name brands will shot 1 1/2 inch or less with the right ammo, the problem is no matter how good your rifle is if you have a crap scope the combo will shoot like crap!

If your budget is limited you would be better off to get a known brand hunting grade rifle and a really good scope, you will save on ammo wasted with shifting POI and lousey adjustments that aren't consistent.

You MAY get a cheap scope that works for a while but the cheapies all go sooner rather than later, save yourself the misery, if short on cash get a known brand field grade riflr and a GOOD scope the results will be better than the other way around.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Expensive scope or rifle?

What would you recommend for an AR-15 carbine? flat top model

Thanks
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Montell C. Williams View Post
    For many years people used to bring their rifles to me to sightin [scoped only] and I have observed that with newer rifles say 1980 or newer all name brands will shot 1 1/2 inch or less with the right ammo, the problem is no matter how good your rifle is if you have a crap scope the combo will shoot like crap!

If your budget is limited you would be better off to get a known brand hunting grade rifle and a really good scope, you will save on ammo wasted with shifting POI and lousey adjustments that aren't consistent.

You MAY get a cheap scope that works for a while but the cheapies all go sooner rather than later, save yourself the misery, if short on cash get a known brand field grade riflr and a GOOD scope the results will be better than the other way around.

(Clinton County)

I have no experiance with that type of rifle, only traditional hunting rifles, mostly bolts and levers and a few Remongton 742s 760s and the newer 7400s and 7600s.
    Usually you can't go wrong with Leupold but every make has an occasional lemon but Leupold will make it right. If you cant afford a new one go to gun shows and get a used one then send it to the factory to be refurbrished, they will even change the adjustments from frictoin to click if you like that system better.

It seems a lot of people spend money on their rifles, but they skimp on rings, bases and scopes. One will never know what the weapon is capable of shooting without good glass. I'd say spending $300 on a scope should be the min budget on decent optics. At times you get what you pay for. I'm not saying an S&B scope is 3x better than a $1k scope, but those S&B owners would say it's worth the money.

(Bucks County)

Not me!
    Had a S&B scope mounted on a .416 rigby. Reticle went south. Scope was fixed by S&B. Scope was remounted and the same thing happened again after 3 shots. Sent the POS back again. Same deal. reticle 'went away" after a couple of shots. The scope was "repaired" and returned to me. Never mounted on the rifle again. Bought a Leupold VXIII and have had not one days' problem.
    This is not the first time I have heard that S&B will not stand up to heavy recoil.
    Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Jefferson County)

Scopes are a mix.. I've had Leupold's that ended up being a target for my 45-70 and I've had/have cheapo's that are still as accurate today as the day I got them. I couldn't hit squat with my old(new then) Weatherby Mark V 270Wby Mag with that Leupold, but my H&R 223 Varmint with a $100 Bushnell Banner scope can take the mites of the hairs of a knat.

If you have a set dollar figure for the combined project - get an upper middle-class rifle and a mid level scope with good rings and base. You will want to consider the given recoil of the rifle, your game/targets, and ranges you shoot at. Recoil is a big factor, just look above at Pukindog's post - the 416Rigby is a powderpuff cartridge.
    Last edited by knight0334; September 15th, 2007 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Damn typo.. lol
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Clinton County)

Wow, 416 Rigby isn't a powerful cartridge? 400grain at about 2400fs sounds plenty powerful to me, there may be more powerful but what is the sense unless there is an escaped dinosour from jurrasic park.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Montell C. Williams View Post
    Wow, 416 Rigby isn't a powerful cartridge? 400grain at about 2400fs sounds plenty powerful to me, there may be more powerful but what is the sense unless there is an escaped dinosour from jurrasic park.
    Sorry... typo... lol it is indeed a powerful cartridge.

fix'n my error in prior post..
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Centre County)

For those of us who live paycheck-to-paycheck, at 200 yards or less, you can't go wrong with good iron sights!

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by RandomTask View Post
    For those of us who live paycheck-to-paycheck, at 200 yards or less, you can't go wrong with good iron sights!
    Iron sights for the Win!

Actually I've used a Barska SWAT scope today for the first time. And I must say i am impressed. Its not a expensive scope, but is lightyears better than the Bushnell i had mounted on my M77. We'll see how well it holds up but so far i like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast