Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB2011 and HB1243 Updates

So far, there hasn't been a 2nd Consideration vote on either of these bills. WE NEED TO KEEP UP THE PRESSURE, and continue to contact our legislators - ask them to tell House leadership to bring these bills to a vote! Ask them to vote YES on HB2011, and NO on the Universal Background Check amendment. In addition, the FOAC is requesting support for an amendment proposed to HB1243 (Mental Health Records for Firearms Purchases) that, if passed, will allow HB1243 to restore firearm rights to those who have recovered from a mental illness.

For more information and updates on these efforts,
CLICK HERE

For legislator contact information,
CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old February 2nd, 2010

(Lycoming County)
radrob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Firearms and people on probation and parole?

Ok, here's the situation. I want to purchase a few firearms when I go home on leave from Iraq, but I usually stay with my father and sister who are on probation along with my brother who just got paroled. I need some guidance before I do something I shouldn't and get one of them or myself into more trouble. I've been looking around the site for day and I cant find anything that gives me info on my situation. I could really use some first hand knowledge.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old February 2nd, 2010
Grand Member

(Bucks County)
unloved has a reputation beyond reputeunloved has a reputation beyond reputeunloved has a reputation beyond reputeunloved has a reputation beyond reputeunloved has a reputation beyond reputeunloved has a reputation beyond reputeunloved has a reputation beyond reputeunloved has a reputation beyond reputeunloved has a reputation beyond reputeunloved has a reputation beyond reputeunloved has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Firearms and people on probation and parole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by radrob View Post
I need some guidance...
Find somewhere else to stay. Two family members on probation, and one on parole. Doesn't sound like a good living arrangement.
Old February 2nd, 2010
Grand Member

(Centre County)
Xringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond reputeXringshooter has a reputation beyond repute

As long as they have absolutely no way to get to the gun(s) there's not a problem. If you store then in a safe and ONLY you have the combination or the keys you're ok. They just cannot have any access what so ever to the gun(s).
Old February 2nd, 2010

(Delaware County)
TimtheDestroy has a reputation beyond reputeTimtheDestroy has a reputation beyond reputeTimtheDestroy has a reputation beyond reputeTimtheDestroy has a reputation beyond reputeTimtheDestroy has a reputation beyond reputeTimtheDestroy has a reputation beyond reputeTimtheDestroy has a reputation beyond reputeTimtheDestroy has a reputation beyond reputeTimtheDestroy has a reputation beyond reputeTimtheDestroy has a reputation beyond reputeTimtheDestroy has a reputation beyond repute

might want to double check with the PO and see what they say, iirc some counties say that being in the same house/car where there is a gun is violating their parole/probation even if the other person has ltcf, and that they are not able to own or possess. My guess is no it would not be wise.
Old February 2nd, 2010

(Northumberland County)
mikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond repute

My professional advice (as a probation officer) is to keep them somewhere else, or you stay somewhere else. Even if they are in a safe that your family members "dont have access to" you may get a PO or a judge with a stick up their you know what and call it constructive possession, which may land your family (and maybe you, if they are felons and are not permitted to "possess") in hot water.

If all else fails, you can call Lycoming County Probation (570) 327-2391. The chief PO is Luann Yohn (pronounced like "yawn"). She will most definately be able to tell you how their judges interpret the possession of firearms by the parolees/probationers in her county.
"The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
I have my rifle. Do you?

Last edited by mikepro8; February 3rd, 2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2010

(Monroe County)
BrowningBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBrowningBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBrowningBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBrowningBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBrowningBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBrowningBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBrowningBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBrowningBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBrowningBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBrowningBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBrowningBoy has a reputation beyond repute

If their PO shows up and finds out that guns are in the house they will go back to jail. If you love them stay somewhere else.
Old February 3rd, 2010

(Lycoming County)
radrob is an unknown quantity at this point

so, what if they are in say a safe or locked case in my trunk, would that be good enough if my vehicle isn't on the property?
Old February 3rd, 2010

(Northumberland County)
mikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond reputemikepro8 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
so, what if they are in say a safe or locked case in my trunk, would that be good enough if my vehicle isn't on the property?
As long as they are not on the property under the "constructive possesion," they and you should be okay.
"The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
I have my rifle. Do you?
Old February 3rd, 2010
Banned

(Allegheny County)
Wiley-X has a reputation beyond reputeWiley-X has a reputation beyond reputeWiley-X has a reputation beyond reputeWiley-X has a reputation beyond reputeWiley-X has a reputation beyond reputeWiley-X has a reputation beyond reputeWiley-X has a reputation beyond reputeWiley-X has a reputation beyond reputeWiley-X has a reputation beyond reputeWiley-X has a reputation beyond reputeWiley-X has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If you're going to drive around with guns in your car, you'd better get an LTCF ("carry permit" to the uninitiated).
Old February 3rd, 2010

(Bucks County)
ddefazio has a reputation beyond reputeddefazio has a reputation beyond reputeddefazio has a reputation beyond reputeddefazio has a reputation beyond reputeddefazio has a reputation beyond reputeddefazio has a reputation beyond reputeddefazio has a reputation beyond reputeddefazio has a reputation beyond reputeddefazio has a reputation beyond reputeddefazio has a reputation beyond reputeddefazio has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy the guns and I will hold on to them for you...