Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB80 (Formerly HB 1243, Preemption Law Changes) Is Off to the Governor for Signature!

Thanks to everyone's support of this bill, it has passed a concurrence vote in the House, and is now off to the Governor's desk to be signed. To link to the latest discussion on this effort, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old August 16th, 2007, 12:38 AM

(Philadelphia County)
OneLungMcClung has a reputation beyond reputeOneLungMcClung has a reputation beyond reputeOneLungMcClung has a reputation beyond reputeOneLungMcClung has a reputation beyond reputeOneLungMcClung has a reputation beyond reputeOneLungMcClung has a reputation beyond reputeOneLungMcClung has a reputation beyond reputeOneLungMcClung has a reputation beyond reputeOneLungMcClung has a reputation beyond reputeOneLungMcClung has a reputation beyond reputeOneLungMcClung has a reputation beyond repute
Question Raufoss Mk211 .50 BMG....OMG!

A little confusion here. I am seeing on Gunbroker and Guns America various sales for the .50 BMG Raufoss round. I was shocked that they were going for $50-$500 per round and wanted to know what was so special (armor piercing? explosive? guided? makes coffee? comes with its own Swedish Bikini Team??).

Did research and found on Wiki:

Raufoss Mk211 .50 BMG

ZOMG!! This thing has an explosive core, a timed fuse, and a Tungsten penetrator!! x10. Apparantly it is THE round of choice for M-82 armed snipers in the IZ and OEF theaters - because it can blow through 20 inches of concrete @ 2000 m!!!!!

Then I started to realize something: Aren't the rounds being offered to civilians demilitarized, as in the PETN/Semtex core is removed?? I would think that you would need a DD Tax (Destructive Device) from the ATF to buy it otherwise.

I find it hard to believe that you can buy high explosives on the open market. IMO these are the round without the HE core. This suspicion is further heightened by the chicken-little attitude over at the Violence Policy Center; end of the world and all that because evil terorists are going to magically afford a Mk-82, this ammo, and make a 1 in a million kill shot without any training. Whenever I hear this I am pretty sure they haven't done their research, but I may be wrong.

Input?

Last edited by OneLungMcClung; August 16th, 2007 at 12:50 AM.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old August 16th, 2007, 10:07 AM

(Philadelphia County)
OneLungMcClung has a reputation beyond reputeOneLungMcClung has a reputation beyond reputeOneLungMcClung has a reputation beyond reputeOneLungMcClung has a reputation beyond reputeOneLungMcClung has a reputation beyond reputeOneLungMcClung has a reputation beyond reputeOneLungMcClung has a reputation beyond reputeOneLungMcClung has a reputation beyond reputeOneLungMcClung has a reputation beyond reputeOneLungMcClung has a reputation beyond reputeOneLungMcClung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Raufoss Mk211 .50 BMG....OMG!

Here's Gunbroker with a sale:

RAUFOSS Mk211 .50 BMG

Anyone? I am mystified too.
Old August 16th, 2007, 01:31 PM

(Berks County)
gold cup abuser has a reputation beyond reputegold cup abuser has a reputation beyond reputegold cup abuser has a reputation beyond reputegold cup abuser has a reputation beyond reputegold cup abuser has a reputation beyond reputegold cup abuser has a reputation beyond reputegold cup abuser has a reputation beyond reputegold cup abuser has a reputation beyond reputegold cup abuser has a reputation beyond reputegold cup abuser has a reputation beyond reputegold cup abuser has a reputation beyond repute

not that I'm paranoid but....

can you say entrapment???

I pity the fool that acutally wins that auction as he/she will most definetly get a visit from the gun police.

and the bidders too

just like those poor souls who bought FAL kits from Inter Ordnance a few years back.

and the same dolts that bought 'drop in' auto sears for their AR from the shotgun news ads

I would pass on this.
Old August 16th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

(Jefferson County)
knight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to knight0334 Send a message via AIM to knight0334 Send a message via MSN to knight0334 Send a message via Yahoo to knight0334

d00d!!

those would be da'shiznitz 4 woodchuckz!!
Old August 16th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Grand Member

(Washington County)
Azzy has a reputation beyond reputeAzzy has a reputation beyond reputeAzzy has a reputation beyond reputeAzzy has a reputation beyond reputeAzzy has a reputation beyond reputeAzzy has a reputation beyond reputeAzzy has a reputation beyond reputeAzzy has a reputation beyond reputeAzzy has a reputation beyond reputeAzzy has a reputation beyond reputeAzzy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
MUST SEND AMMUNITION STATEMENT AND COPY OF D.L
Im guessing he means a class 3 dealer?

You dont need dealer papers to buy normal ammo...
Old August 16th, 2007, 08:18 PM

(Philadelphia County)

Yah this smells funny. Hes either Class III or ATF. I don't like it. I don't even want to email the guy - I may end up on some stupid "terrorist" watchlist.
Old August 16th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Grand Member

XD45 has a reputation beyond reputeXD45 has a reputation beyond reputeXD45 has a reputation beyond reputeXD45 has a reputation beyond reputeXD45 has a reputation beyond reputeXD45 has a reputation beyond reputeXD45 has a reputation beyond reputeXD45 has a reputation beyond reputeXD45 has a reputation beyond reputeXD45 has a reputation beyond reputeXD45 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLungMcClung View Post
Yah this smells funny. Hes either Class III or ATF. I don't like it. I don't even want to email the guy - I may end up on some stupid "terrorist" watchlist.
I'm sure if you ask if/why/how its legal you won't end up on anything because your looking at it from a if its not legal i dont want anything to do with it standpoint..
Old August 20th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Grand Member

bogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond reputebogey1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
I'm sure if you ask if/why/how its legal you won't end up on anything because your looking at it from a if its not legal i dont want anything to do with it standpoint..
just stick with the regular silver tip (api) there a blast to shoot but getting more expensive every day. i should of bought the 33000 tips for 1200 a couple of years ago. does anybody know where i can get a good deal on tips? besides ammunitionstore.com?
Old August 20th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Super Mod: In Memoriam

(Montgomery County)
JayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond reputeJayBell has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to JayBell Send a message via Yahoo to JayBell

Raufoss ammo is legal to own, and shoot.

1. not a DD because it contains less than 1/4 oz of explosive, so it does not hit the DD limit.

2. Problem is, unless some importer brought the rounds in, every round you see for sale is stolen military, Raufoss ammo is not for sale to civilians.
It costs the US Govt about $7 per round.

3. lots of fakes out there, folks taking ball ammo and adding the green/white paint tips on it....if its real roufoss, lots of folks sell with an Xray.

4. it's definitely not THE round for the M82, but its super good in the M2 for vehicle and materiel destruction.

5. I've had and shot 2 rounds of Raufoss, its not that spectacular, a lot of sparks, and a tiny ass hole the penetrator made, regular AP and API/T is much more fun, and spotter tracer is even more fun.

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply
Old August 22nd, 2007, 08:35 PM

(Delaware County)
ReefBlue has a reputation beyond reputeReefBlue has a reputation beyond reputeReefBlue has a reputation beyond reputeReefBlue has a reputation beyond reputeReefBlue has a reputation beyond reputeReefBlue has a reputation beyond reputeReefBlue has a reputation beyond reputeReefBlue has a reputation beyond reputeReefBlue has a reputation beyond reputeReefBlue has a reputation beyond reputeReefBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
Im guessing he means a class 3 dealer?

You dont need dealer papers to buy normal ammo...

No.

He isn't asking for dealer paperwork. He wants a written statement saying you are over 18 and then a copy of your driver's license.

Totally routine for ammo purchases. Look at any site that sells ammo, they want the same things.