Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Action alert on HB2011 regarding Pre-Emption

Rep Mike Turzai has committed to move HB 2011. This bill strengthens pre-emption by providing for standing and compensation of expenses in the event a local law needs to be challenged that conflicts with State gun laws. Corbett said he will sign if it is put on his desk in the remaining 11 days left to the legislative session.

For more information and updates on these efforts, and to get involved, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old December 13th, 2009, 02:26 PM

(Allegheny County)
ojcwn will become famous soon enough
Default 38 Special 158-grain efectiveness and leading question

I've been trying to find info and haven't come across it yet:

The information I am looking for is in regards to the FBI OR"Chicago" load,38 Special 158-grain LSWCHP (lead semi-wadcutter hollow point) and 158 gr +P SEMI-jacketed hollowpoints.

The question I have is:

What is the effectiveness out of the barrel in a snub nose revolver ( 1 7/8 barrel). Also, should I be concerned with the issue of leading in the barrel with either round?.

My Thoughts are:

I think the SJHP will open better than a fully-jacketed round, and think the semi-jacketing wouldn't lead up the barrel like unjacketed.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old December 13th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Grand Member

(Northampton County)
shooter357 has a reputation beyond reputeshooter357 has a reputation beyond reputeshooter357 has a reputation beyond reputeshooter357 has a reputation beyond reputeshooter357 has a reputation beyond reputeshooter357 has a reputation beyond reputeshooter357 has a reputation beyond reputeshooter357 has a reputation beyond reputeshooter357 has a reputation beyond reputeshooter357 has a reputation beyond reputeshooter357 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 38 Special 158-grain efectiveness and leading question

You will always have leading with any non-jacketed bullet. The .38spl doesn't push the bullet fast enough to have a high degree of leading. Keep it clean by using a brush after you use it and it will be fine.

I don't understand what you mean by "semi jacketed". If you are refering to a jacketed hollow point then you won't have to worry about leading.

-Anonymous

Jeff
Old December 13th, 2009, 03:11 PM

(Allegheny County)
ojcwn will become famous soon enough

"I don't understand what you mean by "semi jacketed". If you are refering to a jacketed hollow point then you won't have to worry about leading."

In reference to my post and your question to it. In the picture I attached is an example semi jacketed round. It is the one on the left.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JSP_and_JHP_bullets.jpg (11.5 KB, 15 views)
Old December 13th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Grand Member

(Lebanon County)
brian has a reputation beyond reputebrian has a reputation beyond reputebrian has a reputation beyond reputebrian has a reputation beyond reputebrian has a reputation beyond reputebrian has a reputation beyond reputebrian has a reputation beyond reputebrian has a reputation beyond reputebrian has a reputation beyond reputebrian has a reputation beyond reputebrian has a reputation beyond repute

there are several factors involved with leading, or the lack there of.
the hardness/softness of the alloy is one that should be taken into account.
how hot a load is another. lead can move pretty good, but over cooking it makes a leading mess.
there is a bit of science behind it. when everything work well you get very little leading.
Old December 13th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Grand Member

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
(Franklin County)
Flash has a reputation beyond reputeFlash has a reputation beyond reputeFlash has a reputation beyond reputeFlash has a reputation beyond reputeFlash has a reputation beyond reputeFlash has a reputation beyond reputeFlash has a reputation beyond reputeFlash has a reputation beyond reputeFlash has a reputation beyond reputeFlash has a reputation beyond reputeFlash has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojcwn View Post
"I don't understand what you mean by "semi jacketed". If you are refering to a jacketed hollow point then you won't have to worry about leading."

In reference to my post and your question to it. In the picture I attached is an example semi jacketed round. It is the one on the left.
The one on the left is commonly referred to as"JSP" or "Jacketed Soft Poiunt".

"Semi-jacketed" or "half-jacketed" is certainly archaic terminology.

"Short-jacket" would also apply. Archaic, nonetheless.

Flash
Old December 13th, 2009, 08:40 PM

(Fayette County)
Tim Ault has a reputation beyond reputeTim Ault has a reputation beyond reputeTim Ault has a reputation beyond reputeTim Ault has a reputation beyond reputeTim Ault has a reputation beyond reputeTim Ault has a reputation beyond reputeTim Ault has a reputation beyond reputeTim Ault has a reputation beyond reputeTim Ault has a reputation beyond reputeTim Ault has a reputation beyond reputeTim Ault has a reputation beyond repute

If I was loading for a short barrel I would without a doubt go with the all lead 158 gr.SWCHP Will they cause any leading? maybe a minor amount unless your cylinder throats are huge but even then not to the point of affecting accuracy.The vel. is fairly low in those short snubby barrels and having shot various bullets into media from short barrelled guns The jacketed HP's just dont expand very much or at all! I have not tried any of the newer breed of ammo geared towards short barrelled guns but the average 158 gr jhp will expand very little and penetrate deep.