Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Recent SKS availability 11/09

Has anyone in the Pittsbsurgh metro area, seen any decent SKS rifles for sale? The supply appears to have dried up. I bought mine years ago, when they were going for $89 or so. My friend has been wanting an AR for the last few years, but his Mrs will never go for that expense. I told him to buy an SKS, as the guy isn't a major firearms enthusiast, and might drag it out every year or so, and run a few boxes of ammo through it.

He finally tried shooting one, and loves it. He also now sees the savings with using stripper clips instead of buying additional magazines. However, as of late, I rarely see them for sale. Do they still turn up at Greensburg PGCA shows? Has anyone seen them in local retail shops?

Thanks!

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Recent SKS availability 11/09

The days of 89$ SKSs are over. They are in the in the 200$-400$ range now. I see a bunch at gunshows, but they are vastily overpriced.

(Allegheny County)

That's why I buy surplus rifles when they first flood the market. I have more than one SKS I paid less than $100 for. I also picked up a few Enfields, Mausers, and a Schmidt Rubin equally cheap. I've been snapping up hex reciever Mosins lately.

I learned my lesson when I passed up all those $149 M1 carbines at Woolworth, back in the day. I'm still kicking myself in the ass over that one.

Anyhow, I guess my friend will have to hit the shows. Evan at $300, an SKS is still a lot cheaper than an AR or AK, and it doesn't need extra magazines.

(Allegheny County)

They are all over ALL the funshows in West PA.

Yugos should be found in the $200's, while the Albanians, beater-but-rare-Romys, and CHICOMs will be in the mid-high $3's depending on how bubba'd they are, and for Chinese; whether or not they are the basic SKS, are pinned or threaded bbl, stamped or machined recvr, or a Para, Cowboy, D, or M version.

Russians are usually in the $4-6 range depending on condition and completeness.

Of all of these - the CHICOMs were imported by the millions, no gillions, no, wait - more were imported with spike bayonets attached than the often asked "Which AK/Which AR should I buy?" question here on the board.

If you find a CHICOM spiker - buy it.

(Allegheny County)

Check the fun shows or small local shops. If that doesn't work, I always see some posted in the classifieds here.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    They are all over ALL the funshows in West PA.

Yugos should be found in the $200's, while the Albanians, beater-but-rare-Romys, and CHICOMs will be in the mid-high $3's depending on how bubba'd they are, and for Chinese; whether or not they are the basic SKS, are pinned or threaded bbl, stamped or machined recvr, or a Para, Cowboy, D, or M version.

Russians are usually in the $4-6 range depending on condition and completeness.

Of all of these - the CHICOMs were imported by the millions, no gillions, no, wait - more were imported with spike bayonets attached than the often asked "Which AK/Which AR should I buy?" question here on the board.

If you find a CHICOM spiker - buy it.
    I have a Norinco "Paratrooper" with the shortened spike. It also has the cavalry stock, with a side mounted sling attachment. I also have a Yugo, which is nice, but I prefer the chrome bore on the Chinese one. The one I dropped the ball on: I didn't buy one of the Russian ones, when they were cheap. They are SO freakin' sweet!

(Allegheny County)

Those Norinco "Paras" are super nice as they are so different, could kick myself for missing one of those.

Fortunately for fans of the "rifle-ness" of an SKS over what an "AK" delivers, there are the basic SAIGAs. And 100% Russian, too.
    There was the story that the SKS is still being made in Russia for commercial sales - but probably just a rumor.

(Allegheny County)

I haven't heard of the Russians making a commercial SKS. But, I have heard of a sporter version of the Dragunov, chambered in 9x54r.

(Monroe County)

Funny, at the last gun show I was at, they had SKS's selling for more then you could buy an AK online...

If you don't mind spending the extra money buy it now, next summer they will be cheap as dirt again.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Berks County)

I sold one of my Chinese SKS's a few months ago for much more than I bought it for, a rare occurrance...I sold the pretty one, still have ths scrubbed
    "well used" one that shoots like a dream.

I have been thinking about a Yugo with a good bore, but have not seen one in a year or so....

mark