Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Just came home to 2 people in my yard, hiding behind a tree..

i pull into my driveway(on my way home from the range of all places), as my lights turn the corner i see a white shirt and a red shirt kind of shifting behind this large tree... i pull into my garage, shut the door.. put on my OWB holster, opened the door and walked up my driveway, the whole way i walk they are shifting around this tree trying to get the angle so i cant see them.. so i put my hand on my gun and continue walking like i dont see them, go inside and get my pitbull bring her out and when i say "where is it" she looks all around for any living thing moving, she spots them right away and starts barking and going towards them, at which point they step out and start moving back, I called my dog next to me, put my hand on my gun and asked why they where hiding behind a tree, and why they where on my property, they gave me the walking away mumbling answer on that of course.. I called the police but they werent able to find anyone matching the description...

I didnt like the situation at all, not something you want to come home to. glad it didnt become anything else although now i'm on high alert for a possible return visit.. when the police came i was OCing, and although on my property which is obviously within my rights, the only comment they asked was if i pulled my firearm, which i said no i never felt threatened to the point of having to draw and they went on asking a few vague questions about them, not negative firearm comments and went on with their shift, cops where very nice guys, wish they could have found these people though

Default Re: Just came home to 2 people in my yard, hiding behind a tree..

I doubt they'll be back knowing you have a gun AND a pitbull.

Glad nothing bad happened though. I too would be on high alert for a while.

I think the proper response would be get on the ground hands behind you back. Or do you want me to let the dog loose. Sometimes a dog is more of a motivator than a gun.

Be very afraid of a man with only one gun.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights reserved.
    911 - government sponsored Dial-a-Prayer

(Westmoreland County)

You're obviously a racist, sir. Neg rep points for you...

In all honesty, where are you in Allegheny? I'm a few blocks from East Liberty, just want a proximity if you don't mind.

/Moved on up from N. Craig St....
    Last edited by D-FENS; July 1st, 2007 at 04:36 AM.
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

Quote Originally Posted by TheHighChild View Post

In all honesty, where are you in Allegheny? I'm a few blocks from East Liberty, just want a proximity if you don't mind.

i'm actually in the suburbs, i'm in the north hills, right on the McCandles/ross border.. what you'd think would be a good neighborhood. it was actually 2 white guys, i would say the one was in his 30's, the other looked younger, maybe early to mid 20's.. a few weeks back there were shots fired 2streets over, not safe anywhere anymore i guess.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by never_retreat View Post
    I think the proper response would be get on the ground hands behind you back. Or do you want me to let the dog loose. Sometimes a dog is more of a motivator than a gun.
    The proper response to what could have been an ambush would have been to continue driving by your house, part way down the block and call the police. How well would this have turned out if you had pulled into your garage, and they bolted up behind you for a little home invasion action? You would have ended up in a shootout in a very disadvantaged position.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheHighChild View Post

What did I miss in the original report to indicate that the poster is a racist?

Anyone caught lurking on my property is considered a threat and will be treated accordingly.

(Chester County)

I am a firm believer of you dont know what you would do in the situation until you are in it. But I would not have pulled into my garage. I would have stayed in the car pass the house and had my gun in my hand in the car and cops would have been called. When I read what you did I was curious why they didnt follow the car into the garage. That is the type of motive for a house invasion. You are doing your thing and they scoot under the garage door and before you can draw you have a gun to your head and you are inside as a hostage and they do god knows what.

Thanks god you are ok. These situations when posted allows other readers to think what they would do in this type of situation. Thanks for posting.

(Allegheny County)

I would have most likely done the same thing, except gun on lap as I was pulling in. Once inside I would have called the police while moving to a window to get a line of sight on them.

If there was no line of sight, I would have just closed my blinds quickly as I could while grabbing my shotgun.

Then again, I don't trust the police in my area to do a damn thing as they most likely wouldn't have shown up, if they even picked up the phone for the call.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Touching your weapon by acquiring a grip index and leaving it in the holster implies your intent to use deadly force. If you aren't justified in doing so, you're in BIG trouble. Things can turn around quickly in these scenario's and the *victim* can easily become the *aggressor*.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Touching the pistol while it's in the holster implies imminent use and you had better have justification.
    Yeah, that. That situation is why it's important to have more tools in your toolbox.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    The proper response to what could have been an ambush would have been to continue driving by your house, part way down the block and call the police. How well would this have turned out if you had pulled into your garage, and they bolted up behind you for a little home invasion action? You would have ended up in a shootout in a very disadvantaged position.
    +1. I'm also going to wager that XD probably got tunnel vision and didn't focus on his surrounding while walking to the house.

I love how everybody's first option would be to grab for their gun.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast