Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old September 8th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Moderator Emeritus

PennsyPlinker has a reputation beyond reputePennsyPlinker has a reputation beyond reputePennsyPlinker has a reputation beyond reputePennsyPlinker has a reputation beyond reputePennsyPlinker has a reputation beyond reputePennsyPlinker has a reputation beyond reputePennsyPlinker has a reputation beyond reputePennsyPlinker has a reputation beyond reputePennsyPlinker has a reputation beyond reputePennsyPlinker has a reputation beyond reputePennsyPlinker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best powder for .40 S&W

I was over at my favorite local gun store a few days ago, and talking to the owner about some of my reloading efforts. I mentioned that I was using Titegroup for reloading .40 S&W, but that even with loads close to the maximum, they bullets still sounded and felt slow. His response was that Titegroup burned too fast to get the best velocity out of the round. He mentioned a powder, but of course I neglected to write it down, and now I cannot remember. So if anyone has some experience with this, I would be interested to hear it - or read it, anyway.

Thanks.

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old September 8th, 2009, 07:26 PM

(Montgomery County)
mjporreca has a spectacular aura aboutmjporreca has a spectacular aura aboutmjporreca has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Best powder for .40 S&W

I settled on 3.8 grains of bullseye behind a 175 grain swc (I think). Nice comfortable round and shooting very accurately out of my 4.25" barrel M&P40. I tried them as hot as 4.4 grain, but that was brutal.
Old September 8th, 2009, 07:43 PM

Dave in PA has a reputation beyond reputeDave in PA has a reputation beyond reputeDave in PA has a reputation beyond reputeDave in PA has a reputation beyond reputeDave in PA has a reputation beyond reputeDave in PA has a reputation beyond reputeDave in PA has a reputation beyond reputeDave in PA has a reputation beyond reputeDave in PA has a reputation beyond reputeDave in PA has a reputation beyond reputeDave in PA has a reputation beyond repute

Check out this link:

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

It covers three brands and all their powders. You can filter it for brand/bullet weight.
Old September 9th, 2009, 06:59 AM

(Berks County)
sutehk is on a distinguished road

I've used Longshot for some loads. IIRC the velocity according to the manual was 1050 - 1100 ft/s at max load. Its got one hell of a kick compared to titegroup or HP-38. Load was somewhere around 7.5 grains so it filled the case pretty well.
Old September 9th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Moderator Emeritus

PennsyPlinker has a reputation beyond reputePennsyPlinker has a reputation beyond reputePennsyPlinker has a reputation beyond reputePennsyPlinker has a reputation beyond reputePennsyPlinker has a reputation beyond reputePennsyPlinker has a reputation beyond reputePennsyPlinker has a reputation beyond reputePennsyPlinker has a reputation beyond reputePennsyPlinker has a reputation beyond reputePennsyPlinker has a reputation beyond reputePennsyPlinker has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the input guys. Dave, I appreciate the link, but that is the chart I am using. It will give me data for any powder I care to try, but it doesn't give me recommendations as to which will work the best.
Old September 9th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Grand Member

(Delaware County)
andrewjs18 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewjs18 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewjs18 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewjs18 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewjs18 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewjs18 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewjs18 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewjs18 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewjs18 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewjs18 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewjs18 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to andrewjs18 Send a message via MSN to andrewjs18 Send a message via Yahoo to andrewjs18

I had good results from using blue dot.

8.9gr of Blue Dot
155gr Magtech JHP
1.125 OAL
CCI primer

shot 1in groups at 7 yards.
Old September 9th, 2009, 07:49 PM

The_Vigilante is on a distinguished road

Power Pistol or WSF.
Old September 9th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Grand Member

(Luzerne County)
max384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond reputemax384 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I've had the best results for .40 S&W with IMR 800-X, which is substantially slower burning than bullseye. I use 160 gr TMJ bullets and 7.5 gr 800-X. I started using 7.2 gr, but had some unburnt powder, so I moved up to 7.5 gr and had no problems. I shoot them out of my XD 40 subcompact.

What weight bullets are you using?

Last edited by max384; September 9th, 2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old September 10th, 2009, 09:15 AM

(Allegheny County)
PeskyGee has a reputation beyond reputePeskyGee has a reputation beyond reputePeskyGee has a reputation beyond reputePeskyGee has a reputation beyond reputePeskyGee has a reputation beyond reputePeskyGee has a reputation beyond reputePeskyGee has a reputation beyond reputePeskyGee has a reputation beyond reputePeskyGee has a reputation beyond reputePeskyGee has a reputation beyond reputePeskyGee has a reputation beyond repute

.180 gr Cast FP
6.0 - 6.5 Unique
WSP primers

I use this most of the time and its been really good out of both my Steyr M40 and CZ-40B. I've tried Bullseye and 231 but I always go back to Unique for my 40's.
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the continued replies everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
What weight bullets are you using?
I thought I had put this in, but apparently I didn't. I have a bunch of 200 gr and 180 gr Berry's from Cabela's.