Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ready to CC

(York County)

Talking Ready to CC

Well everyone....I just bought my first pistol today....Glock 19. Moved to PA a month ago.....and got my LTC 2 weeks after my move and finally made my purchase for my carry weapon.....still need a IWB holster though....so need to get that ASAP. ANy recommendations?

Anyway, just wanted to say this site is awesome.....I'm excited to be able to excercise my coinstitutional right finally after living in Marland for 38 years....I should have moved to PA a long time ago!

I'm sure it will feel "funny" at first carrying....like I am doing something wrong....because of the political anti-gun attitude in MD where I grew up...but I assume I will get more comfortable with it eventually (not that I am uncomfortable with handling guns, as I have been doing so since I was 14).

ANyway.,...any general advise is welcome!

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Ready to CC

Glad you made it! I did the same thing 2 years ago after spending about the same amount of time in NJ.

You're going to be handling handguns a lot more now. And as such, your prior safety and handling skills might eventually prove insufficient. I would suggest some type of carry class. The NRA ones are cheap and available, although there are better for more coin. Whenever that thing is out of the holster it's very dangerous. Double so when taking it out or putting it in. Never let your self be distracted when handling a handgun, keep your mind on what is important. Make the decision now that if you ever lose grip on it you will throw your hands up and let it drop - if you try to grab for it you will shoot something or someone. And if you try to grab it from someplace you can't see (like a glove box) you are probably going to fire it eventually.

Hope that doesn't sound like demeaning advice. I had extensive experience handling guns all my life. And I was always the safest guy at the range. But carrying handguns and handling them day in and day out is serious business. There was a lot I needed to learn, and I am still learning. An instructor recently caught me sweeping my arm when holstering. And pointed out that you can get your shirt caught in the trigger while holstering, and the gun can go off. It never ends.

Carry well and good luck!

(York County)

Thumbs up Re: Ready to CC

Great advise...thank you!

I believe strongly in training....I have already taken the basic NRA pistol/handgun course despite my "experience" with guns...realizing that handling and carrying a handgun will be different then my prior experience...so I am with you on that.

I plan on taking additional NRA courses.....but, you mentioned that there may be some alternative courses that are better? Can you advise and recommend?

I also understand that the Glock (as well as other pistols), with no manual safety, requires it to be kept in a holster that protects the trigger....I am considering the MTAG.....lots of awesome reviews from guys on it....

Thanks again for the feedback!

- Mike

(Northampton County)

Good to hear. You're obviously a smarter guy than I was There is are many training courses listed here:

http://forum.pafoa.org/training-courses-122/

And a lot of threads on the subject. There are people here with more broad experience than I have that can make recommendations.

The most important thing is that you finally made it!

(Monroe County)

Welcome to the forum

Definitely a good idea for training. It always helps get a refresher from time to time. I have heard many ND come from unsafe newbies and complacent "old hands".

Before talking holsters understand an important part to carrying is a good gun belt. It makes a world of difference. I use a Galco Matrix belt and it holds up to tough work and still looks great. It was $30.

Glock 19 is great, I carry a 26 and the best holster I have found for it is a Glock Combat/Sport holster. It's like $10 bucks and works great. Holds the gun in place and rides high and into the body. Have not found an IWB i'm to happy with so the search continues on that one.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on getting your ltcf. It was great to read that you have already taken a firearms class. There is no such thing as too much training or being too safe! I don't know how close you are to a range but you should try and get as much range time in as time and money allow. Also, when you decide on which ammo to carry for self defense even though it is expensive you may someday have to trust your life with it. Be sure your gun "likes" it and will fire it consistently. I am not saying to use it all the time at the range but it is my opinion that when you do go, fire off a magazine or two of it once in awhile to be sure there are no feeding or other issues with it. Again welcome, sit back and enjoy the wealth of knowledge you will find here.
    As far as feeling "funny" while carrying, That will go away in time once you realize no one notices. It will become 2nd nature to you when getting dressed in the morning. Keys, wallet, firearm, etc: In fact, you will feel naked if you leave your house without it!
    Last edited by Driver400; September 5th, 2009 at 09:45 AM.

(York County)

Great advice guys.....Freedom Armory is only about 10 minutes from my house so that is convenient for me. Went there today and fired off 100 rounds of the Winchester white box....love the Glock 19......very surprised at how consistent I was in my groupings at various ranges.

I hear you on the testing of carry ammo for self defense....any recommnedations on that? I have done some reading on it and will search some threads as well.

Get yourself a good strong gun belt; and, in the months ahead, adjust your wardrobe to, 'dress around the gun'. For instance, I rarely tuck the hem of my cover shirt into my pants; and the bottom button is always open. When you pick out that first holster make sure you get one that tucks the pistol's butt, tightly, into your body, too.

You'll, also, need to brush up on the way you habitually move. Don't reach for things with your gun hand. Use your support hand, instead. Don't kneel by bending your support side knee, either. If someone tries to hug you, make sure that you face them and always place your arms and hands UNDERNEATH theirs!

When talking to strangers do the same thing a trained police officer does and remember to, 'BLADE' them. Be careful whom you turn your back on, too. This is especially important at places like movie lines, lunch counters, and (Yes) in bars, too. I've, also, found it useful to stand at a 3/4 angle as others approach me. (Again, though, I'm actually, 'blading' anyone who comes up to me.) I do this not so much to protect myself from a potential gun grab; but, instead, to make it more difficult for someone to realize that I'm carrying a large pistol on my waist.

The last time I, 'got made' I was sitting in a movie theater while carrying an (admittedly) large G-21 at 4:00 o'clock. A big man sat down next to me and brushed his hand against my EDC piece as he did. Suddenly he gave me an, 'evil look'. I smiled at him and said; 'I bet you're a cop.' He answered; 'Yes, I am but a retired one.' Strangely he never asked me if I had an LTCF; but, I'm going to guess that he had enough field experience to realize what my holster meant.

When you carry concealed it's, also, important to know how to keep your piece readily available to your gun hand. The most likely places for you to be confronted are in parking lots, inside a motor vehicle, and anytime you're in transit. I'm telling you this because your personal security habits are going to need to be modified.

Whenever you're sitting inside a vehicle make sure you do NOT fasten your seatbelt over the top flap of your cover garment or jacket. Remember to always leave the garment open on your gun side by passing the seatbelt under, rather than over, that flap. When you walk into the wind be sure to keep your gun hand elbow tucked in tight to your side; and, if necessary, only move with your other arm.

I have not found (Although I might have) that my home is a particularly dangerous place. While I am always armed; I feel no imperative need to do so around the house; the gun is, 'just there'. However, the same thing cannot be said about those times when you're away from home and in transit from, 'point A' to, 'point B'. Transit is always an activity that every civilian needs to be particularly alert about. (Me? I hate Wal-Mart parking lots; but, then again, I don't feel comfortable in any parking lot after dark.)

Hope this helps you out; and, whatever you do or wherever you go, don't forget any of your safe gun handling habits.

(York County)

Glock 19 is a great carry gun. I've carried one for several years now but I prefer OWB. I'll wear a covering garment (sports coat, vest or similar). Two reasons IWB doesn't work for me:
    Difficulty in holstering and reholstering (this is when folks have accidental discharges).
    To work best, you need to buy trousers and jeans a size or two larger...great when you're packing, but not so hot if you're not carrying IWB.

Be aware of your surroundings, but don't be paranoid. Remember, you have a duty to retreat if at all possible. Better to give 'em the 20 bucks in your wallet.
    The Walmart Shopping Center (in Shrewsbury) is one place I do keep on alert (more so then other local areas) since we get some low lifes from Baltimore coming up to do their shifty business.

Also, I'd suggest you leave the stock trigger on your Glock 19. The light (3½ lb) connector is nice but a bit too light for a carry gun IMHO. Remember, when you eject the mag, there's still one in the chamber and it will go off if you pull the trigger. I almost shot my windshield out with my first Glock when I pulled the trigger to put the gun back in the Glock box...don't make that mistake (no, I did not fire the round...that little angel on my shoulder reminded me to check the chamber one more time...).

As far as ammo, I suggest you try Hornady Critical Defense...works pretty good and feeds nicely.

Freedom Armory is a great shop. I've bought a number of firearms from Scott over the last 15 years or so. Haven't used their range though.

Good luck and be safe...BTW, welcome to Pennsylvania (I'm another MD transplant...in 1987).
    Last edited by RoyJackson; September 5th, 2009 at 10:49 PM.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

WELCOME to PA. Great choice on a first pistol. B Safe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast