Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Best type of holster?

I'm thinking of getting a Glock 26 sometime, and I was wondering what the best type of holster would be for this pistol? Which is the easiest to conceal? What is the most comfortable type of holster? The most accessible? Basically, I'm wondering which is the best 'all around' holster.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcisbig View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a Glock 26 sometime, and I was wondering what the best type of holster would be for this pistol?
    Irregardless of the type or brand of handgun, much depends on your daily carry habits. For example, do you always carry or just occasionally? Comfort becomes a factor in daily carry and with that then there is body shape and size and clothing style. Mode of carry is also a variable. If you don't carry a BUG, can you get to your holster with your support hand if your firing hand becomes disabled?

Which is the easiest to conceal?
    Probably IWB but some people don't find them comfortable.

What is the most comfortable type of holster?
    IMO, OWB strong side. YMMV.

The most accessible?

Basically, I'm wondering which is the best 'all around' holster.

(Pike County)

I carry my SigP220 in a VMII iwb very comfortably all day everyday!

(York County)

i carry my g30 in a Bianchi leather IWB holster 90% of the time. in the winter i sometimes use an OWB paddle holster.

There is no such thing as the "Best" holster, opioions vary and what you'll have to end up doing is trying the top 5 suggestions to find the one that you think is the best.

What it boils down to is do you want in the waist band (IWB), out of the waist band (OWB, either belt or paddle), or shoulder holster.

I'd suggest looking on Ebay or the holster boxes at various gun shops for ehat you like.

I don't carry a Glock, but I know that Galco makes very fine holsters that you can usually find at a decent price on Ebay.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    There is no such thing as the "Best" holster, opioions vary and what you'll have to end up doing is trying the top 5 suggestions to find the one that you think is the best.

What it boils down to is do you want in the waist band (IWB), out of the waist band (OWB, either belt or paddle), or shoulder holster.

I'd suggest looking on Ebay or the holster boxes at various gun shops for ehat you like.

I don't carry a Glock, but I know that Galco makes very fine holsters that you can usually find at a decent price on Ebay.
    This is good advice. There is no "best" type of holster, but there is better and worse within the types...and of course you can spend as much or as little money as you want.

Holster selection is personal and subjective and depends on body type, clothes, etc. Resign yourself to trying out a few before striking gold. The search can be abbreviated by buying quality..best to look for used at first.

Leather or kydex is the basic divide. I like both. The fact that it's for a G26 makes it easier. Some of the more expensive leather models -- Milt Sparks VM2, which I like for my G17 -- exist to solve the problem of distributing and carrying the weight and bulk of a full size pistol. A mini-Glock doesn't really present that challenge.

I'm going to say that a very safe first IWB is the Sidearmor IWB (original style), 15 degree canted, with J hooks. Strong, well made, can be found used for about $40 - $45, and a keeper. It looks like:

http://www.sidearmor.com/cart/catalo...d_Holster.html

thanks for the input guys. I'll try to find a few to try out before I buy.

(Westmoreland County)

I have the Milt Sparks VMII,Tucker 'The Answer', Galco Maimi Classic II, and Smart Carry. Each have many pro's and con's.

VMII: (leather IWB)
    Pro's: perfect cant, quality construction, very comfortable
    Con's: Took alot of time to break in, big price tag/possible wait

The Answer: (Leather/kydex IWB)
    Pro's: Holds very tight to the body, quality made, adj. cant to fit your needs
    Con's: Kydex belt clips can and will break, price tag

Maimi Classic II: (Shoulder system, leather)
    Pro's: You can star in a hollywood action flick (no, it does have it's place)
    Con's: Very tough to break in, hard to fit right, more difficult to draw quickly

Smartcarry: (denim material, iwb)
    Pro's: Conceals very well (maybe best of all 4) with tighter clothing, you can bend at the waist without worry of exposing firearm, also has pouch for mag/light, inexpensive
    Con's: If you wear as advertised (at 12 o'clock) you have a loaded firearm pointed at your manhood, sitting with it at 12 is a pain because it wants to dig into your stomach

Well, hope this helps you out

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Best type of holster?

The closest to a "one mode fits most" would be a strong side "pancake" type holster. The fore and aft belt slots will hold the gun more closley to body than most other OWB designs, it is secure for vigerous movement, and usually quite comfortable. I'm enough of an old timer to prefer the ones made by the origional inventer ( Roy Baker, Magnolia Ar), but vertually everyone makes a version. Some of them ride too high, or at various angles. El Paso Saddlery's model comes close to origional ride and angle, but is much stiffer.
    Some people love IWB, some have to spend years of trial and error to find a livable one, some never do. But a pancake will work reasonably well for most people. At that point you can start your quest for IWB also if you wish.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast