Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB80 Signed by Governor Corbett!

Thanks to everyone's support of this bill, it has been signed into law by Governor Corbett. Municipalities can now be held liable for firearms laws on the books which are in direct violation of the state's preemption laws. To link to continuing discussion on the new law, CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > General

Notices

General General firearm-related talk that does not fit into any of the other forums.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old September 1st, 2006, 08:08 PM

(Allegheny County)
jonxyz123 is on a distinguished road
Default must I register an inherited pistol?

I live in Pittsburgh, and have inherited a .22 pistol from my father. I doubt it was ever registered. I know a permit to carry is required, but do I need to do anything to keep it in my home? TIA-john

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old September 1st, 2006, 08:17 PM

(Chester County)
Lougotzz has a reputation beyond reputeLougotzz has a reputation beyond reputeLougotzz has a reputation beyond reputeLougotzz has a reputation beyond reputeLougotzz has a reputation beyond reputeLougotzz has a reputation beyond reputeLougotzz has a reputation beyond reputeLougotzz has a reputation beyond reputeLougotzz has a reputation beyond reputeLougotzz has a reputation beyond reputeLougotzz has a reputation beyond repute

We have no registration in this sate persay. You are ok if the gun is passed down to an imediate family member. When you go for a background check the state police do have a list of handgun buyers. I think as long as you are allowed by law to own a handgun you should be good to go. I am assuming everything took place in PA. If you are unsure you can call and ask your local gun shop.
Old September 1st, 2006, 09:34 PM

(Bucks County)
starblazer has a reputation beyond reputestarblazer has a reputation beyond reputestarblazer has a reputation beyond reputestarblazer has a reputation beyond reputestarblazer has a reputation beyond reputestarblazer has a reputation beyond reputestarblazer has a reputation beyond reputestarblazer has a reputation beyond reputestarblazer has a reputation beyond reputestarblazer has a reputation beyond reputestarblazer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lougotzz View Post
We have no registration in this sate persay. You are ok if the gun is passed down to an immediate family member. When you go for a background check the state police do have a list of handgun buyers. I think as long as you are allowed by law to own a handgun you should be good to go. I am assuming everything took place in PA. If you are unsure you can call and ask your local gun shop.

I'd only advise this if you know and trust the local shop. An unscrupulous dealer will tell you that you need to do the transfer paperwork regardless, just to make a few bucks. As stated, if you're legally able to own a handgun, and the transfer was done between direct family members, and it all happened in PA, you should be okay.
Old September 2nd, 2006, 07:59 AM

(Northumberland County)
The Drew has a reputation beyond reputeThe Drew has a reputation beyond reputeThe Drew has a reputation beyond reputeThe Drew has a reputation beyond reputeThe Drew has a reputation beyond reputeThe Drew has a reputation beyond reputeThe Drew has a reputation beyond reputeThe Drew has a reputation beyond reputeThe Drew has a reputation beyond reputeThe Drew has a reputation beyond reputeThe Drew has a reputation beyond repute

If the gun is passed down from your father you do not have to transfer through a dealer.

And again, there is no registration in PA, only sales records are kept.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 04:11 PM

(Allegheny County)
Default That's what I thought, but....

When the pittsburgh police came to my home owing to a dispute with my landlord, they asked me if I had a gun, and when I said yes, and told them where it was, they simply walked in and took it. They said I could get it back if I registered it, which is what I will do, but I wonder if relieving me of my .22 pea-shooter was even proper. They did say that if it had been a shotgun or rifle they would not have taken it - ironic, no?
Old September 3rd, 2006, 04:32 PM
Founder & President

(Philadelphia County)
danp has a reputation beyond reputedanp has a reputation beyond reputedanp has a reputation beyond reputedanp has a reputation beyond reputedanp has a reputation beyond reputedanp has a reputation beyond reputedanp has a reputation beyond reputedanp has a reputation beyond reputedanp has a reputation beyond reputedanp has a reputation beyond reputedanp has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to danp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonxyz123 View Post
When the pittsburgh police came to my home owing to a dispute with my landlord, they asked me if I had a gun, and when I said yes, and told them where it was, they simply walked in and took it. They said I could get it back if I registered it, which is what I will do, but I wonder if relieving me of my .22 pea-shooter was even proper. They did say that if it had been a shotgun or rifle they would not have taken it - ironic, no?
As far as I understand it, what they did was illegal. I'd request that they show you where in the law gave them the ability to do that.

Arms Dealer - Find & Review Gun Shops, Shooting Ranges and other firearm-related businesses!
Old September 3rd, 2006, 05:05 PM

(Allegheny County)

Yah, well attention to the strict legality of their actions is not always the first thing on the police's mind.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 08:47 PM

(Bucks County)
starblazer has a reputation beyond reputestarblazer has a reputation beyond reputestarblazer has a reputation beyond reputestarblazer has a reputation beyond reputestarblazer has a reputation beyond reputestarblazer has a reputation beyond reputestarblazer has a reputation beyond reputestarblazer has a reputation beyond reputestarblazer has a reputation beyond reputestarblazer has a reputation beyond reputestarblazer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonxyz123 View Post
Contact a lawyer! Contact the NRA! You are a member, right? As I see it, your rights were violated, period. Please keep us posted on your progress with this. Best of luck.
Old September 4th, 2006, 04:00 PM

er2006 has a brilliant futureer2006 has a brilliant futureer2006 has a brilliant futureer2006 has a brilliant futureer2006 has a brilliant futureer2006 has a brilliant futureer2006 has a brilliant futureer2006 has a brilliant futureer2006 has a brilliant futureer2006 has a brilliant futureer2006 has a brilliant future

I don't know if you must register an inherited gun , I would talk with an attorney first..

I am sure that when you buy a gun from a licensed dealer that all your information is forwarded to teh Federal , State , & Local Authorities!

This would hold for all guns new or used!
Old September 4th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Grand Member

(Luzerne County)
Steve in PA has a reputation beyond reputeSteve in PA has a reputation beyond reputeSteve in PA has a reputation beyond reputeSteve in PA has a reputation beyond reputeSteve in PA has a reputation beyond reputeSteve in PA has a reputation beyond reputeSteve in PA has a reputation beyond reputeSteve in PA has a reputation beyond reputeSteve in PA has a reputation beyond reputeSteve in PA has a reputation beyond reputeSteve in PA has a reputation beyond repute

There is no "registration" requirement in PA. Also, there is no need to "tranfer ownership" of firearms between parents and child, husband and wife, grandparents and child, etc.

Pittsburgh police, much like Pjilly police have no working knowledge of gun laws.

(c) Duty of other persons.—Any person who is not a licensed importer, manufacturer or dealer and who desires to sell or transfer a firearm to another unlicensed person shall do so only upon the place of business of a licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer or county sheriff’s office, the latter of whom shall follow the procedure set forth in this section as if he were the seller of the firearm. The provisions of this section shall not apply to transfers between spouses or to transfers between a parent and child or to transfers between grandparent and grandchild.