Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: 9mm lead round nose 125g with 700x

Well first trip out 2 the range with my reloads wasn't so good. The 2 sets i made didn't wanna eject but the 3rd did most of the time so i guess i need to up the powder I'm still learning so i guess its ok. No squibs or anything so thats always good all fired but most didn't eject.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Normlizer View Post
    Well first trip out 2 the range with my reloads wasn't so good. The 2 sets i made didn't wanna eject but the 3rd did most of the time so i guess i need to up the powder I'm still learning so i guess its ok. No squibs or anything so thats always good all fired but most didn't eject.
    One step up at a time. Isn't it fun?

Flash

Hey Flash yes its very fun. Already making more. 50rd of 2.8-3.0gr and some of the next size up not sure what yet havn't set the disk up and measure how much it puts out. I also got some winchester ball powder 231. See how well that will measure up in the disks. It was a little more than i wanted to spend $26 for a lb

(Franklin County)

Hey Flash yes its very fun. Already making more. 50rd of 2.8-3.0gr and some of the next size up not sure what yet havn't set the disk up and measure how much it puts out. I also got some winchester ball powder 231. See how well that will measure up in the disks. It was a little more than i wanted to spend $26 for a lb
    Wowie - Twenty-six zords ?

I've wanted to try 231 also, but at that price, I'll have to wait a while. Besides, I've four pounds of AA#5 in reserve, which is four thousand rounds, and then I have that pound of Titegroup which seems promising. I don't have my records right here now, but I got something like 1170fps, and very little spread on something like 4.6 or 4.8 gr, - I'm not sure - and that divides out to something like 1500 rds/lb. Now if only PrecisionDelta would ship the bullets. . . . if only.
    (But at $68./k, I can wait. Midway wants $95.99 for a thou of Magtech 115 gr FMJ's)

Maybe I should just get busy and cast a bunch of lead RN's.

Flash

On my first batch of 9mm with my Lee press I loaded about 300 rds. The max load for 115 gr was 4.8 gr of Titegroup. Mine were coming out around 4.0 gr. I thought no big deal safer to start low. Went to the range and they would not cycle the slide on my Glock unless I put a total death grip on it, then it was like 50%. I wound up buying an 11lb recoil spring and now it shoots great with this load. The spring was only $8. I bought a couple different weight springs to play with. I figured I could either alter the gun to the load or the other way around.

Anyone have an idea what kind of velocity you would get with 4.0 gr of Titegroup 115 gr FMJ 9mm out of a 4 1/2 barrel? I need to get around 1100 fps to be IDPA legal.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

I still use the old standby--Alliants Power Pistol for the 9mm most often. There is probably a better, newer powder for 9's but I seem to be satisfied with a powder I am familar with and trust. Kinda like my wife..... but her burn rate does seem to be getting a little faster as she gets older.

ed

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by edh47 View Post
    I still use the old standby--Alliants Power Pistol for the 9mm most often. There is probably a better, newer powder for 9's but I seem to be satisfied with a powder I am familar with and trust. Kinda like my wife..... but her burn rate does seem to be getting a little faster as she gets older.

ed
    Seeing signs of increased pressure, too, are we?

Don't even mention flattened primers - - we don't want to go there!

Flash

(Northampton County)

OUCH!!

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Wowie - Twenty-six zords ?

I've wanted to try 231 also, but at that price, I'll have to wait a while. Besides, I've four pounds of AA#5 in reserve, which is four thousand rounds, and then I have that pound of Titegroup which seems promising. I don't have my records right here now, but I got something like 1170fps, and very little spread on something like 4.6 or 4.8 gr, - I'm not sure - and that divides out to something like 1500 rds/lb. Now if only PrecisionDelta would ship the bullets. . . . if only.
    (But at $68./k, I can wait. Midway wants $95.99 for a thou of Magtech 115 gr FMJ's)

Maybe I should just get busy and cast a bunch of lead RN's.
    Flash
    As soon as Midway can keep them(molds) in stock, I will get some.

Quote Originally Posted by edh47 View Post
    ed
    +1 My wife had a hard time with the cycling of her 9mm. Once I started using PP, no problems at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Seeing signs of increased pressure, too, are we?

Don't even mention flattened primers - - we don't want to go there!

Flash
    LMFAO
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

Just wondering what would happen if u shot a bullet with a sideways primer? I loaded a few bullets with primers crooked. Not that i would try it.

(Franklin County)

Just wondering what would happen if u shot a bullet with a sideways primer? I loaded a few bullets with primers crooked. Not that i would try it.
    Probably the cartridge won't fire. If the primer is mashed enough sideways to chamber in the gun,it prob would have blocked the flash-hole and would not ignite the powder.

Secondly, the primer would prob not fire, having the primer compound broken and maybe sifting out. The firing pin could prob not strike anything well enough to fire it.

Porbably same thing with primers inserted upside down. Flash-hole is closed off. Now upside-down primers could flash back around the firing pin which might get your attention. But your firing pin would have to have an inordinate amount of travel to get the job done.

I tend to do a "final inspection" fo each round when I remove it from the bin and place it in the box.

Flash

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast