Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default AR Build #2: A Gatling Pistol?

Nah... but that's what a 30-year retired Philly cop who is now an RO at my range calls it.

In any case, it took some figurin' out, but I finally got it together and working. The main issue was the misalignment and/or loose low profile gas block (see earlier thread). The toughest part was to figure out which parts to get to get everything matched up properly with the upper. Once again, many thanks to the members on here for deconstructing the inspiration to this build and address the gas block alignment issue. The gun now functions 100%, but does need some more testing and tightening.

Here's the breakdown:

Lower (Essential) $200 (Craig's list, including transfer, but overpaid in March 2009)

LPK (DPMS) $75 (Another CL purchase)

A3 Upper (DPMS) $115 (Estimated, took it from a DPMS complete DPMS rifle kit)

Barrel (DPMS Kitty Kat, 7") $190 (RGuns)

BCG (DPMS) $125 (Estimated, took it from a DPMS complete DPMS rifle kit)

Gas tube + pin + LP Gas block $52 (PK Firearms)

Pistol tube + buffer $50 (PK Firearms)

Midlength Forearm + end cap 1 1/16th (YHM) $130 (Midway)

Flash hider (Levang Linear Compensator) $40 (PK Firearms)

Front sight (RRA, quick detach) $40 (PK Firearms)

Rear sight (Matech) $50 (Craig's List)

-------------

Total: $1067

A couple of things needed: The rear sight needs to be raised with a riser. I have a TLR-2 laser/light combo on its way since have decided that I am not going to put any optics on this thing. A sling and sling mount are in the plan as well so the additional parts will add roughly another $150 to the total cost. The upper is rather tight against the lower. Right now, I have to hammer the rear take down pin in and out so I need to find a way to address that.

A quick note about the upper. The forearm is a YHM mid length which is 9.2" long, along with the end cap, was perfect for the 7" barrel combo with the Levang Linear Compensator. I decided that the Levang was a better choice vs. standard comps because it directs all the blast forward. The holes match up prefectly with the holes on the YHM end cap.

As said, the gun is functioning flawlessly, but did choke with a cheap steel mag with Wolf ammo. I tried the Wolf in a 20-rd Thermold polymer mag without any problem. There is virtually no recoil due to the weight of the forearm and the compensator. I was able to shoot it with my nose almost to the charging handle while resting my cheek on the foam tube. Will have a better range report when I have this thing propertly sighted in.

Al
    PS: The front sight is mounted backward on purpose. I like the more "aerodymanic" rear-ward sweep.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: AR Build #2: A Gatling Pistol?

That's a great looking pistol! Great Job. Makes me want to add that to my list (which keeps getting longer due to this site) of guns I need.

So have you shoot it in low light?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

looks awesome! i built one in 223 and got bored with it, sold it, now i miss it. in the process of building a fully tricked out every option 9mm AR pistol. i was thinking the same plan for the HG.

i recomend the gunsmoke enterprises buffer kit.
    This Space For Rent

(Berks County)

That would look so badass SBR'ed with a stock. Do it.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    That's a great looking pistol! Great Job. Makes me want to add that to my list (which keeps getting longer due to this site) of guns I need.

So have you shoot it in low light?
    Thank you! Nope. Will be hard to do at my local range. No one else has shot it yet so I am not able to see the muzzle blast. All I can say is that I don't notice any fireball and the recoil is extremely mild.

Quote Originally Posted by Seventy4Blazer View Post
    looks awesome! i built one in 223 and got bored with it, sold it, now i miss it. in the process of building a fully tricked out every option 9mm AR pistol. i was thinking the same plan for the HG.

i recomend the gunsmoke enterprises buffer kit.
    Thank you for the recommendation. I like the way that kit looks! It looks a lot shorter. I kinda like being able to rest my cheek on the foam which I definitely will not be able to do with the GE kit.

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    That would look so badass SBR'ed with a stock. Do it.
    Oh man, you wouldn't know how many times I've thought about it. I just got my ACE SOCOM stock that would absolutely look incredible on it. Sadly, the CLEO won't sign that form. My sling will serve as leverage and it helps that the recoil is rather negligible.

Al
    PS: I just ordered a Midwest Industries LP gas block form AIM Surplus. This one is longer covering the 2nd pin hole/groove, has 3 screws, and comes with thread lock and gas tube pin. Hopefully it will stay more tight.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    Oh man, you wouldn't know how many times I've thought about it. I just got my ACE SOCOM stock that would absolutely look incredible on it. Sadly, the CLEO won't sign that form. My sling will serve as leverage and it helps that the recoil is rather negligible.
    Screw the CLEO and do an LLC.

It's so crazy/stupid/etc that putting a stock on that can/will cause you to go to federal prison!
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Screw the CLEO and do an LLC.

It's so crazy/stupid/etc that putting a stock on that can/will cause you to go to federal prison!
    If I were to SBR it, I'd get a rifle length FF handguard so I can replace the Levang with a nice can. Now THAT'S a wicked SBR.

Al

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    If I were to SBR it, I'd get a rifle length FF handguard so I can replace the Levang with a nice can. Now THAT'S a wicked SBR.

Al
    Sounds like a plan ... can't wait to see it.